Sunday, July 13, 2008

Between Love and Hate (Part 7)

The King Became Mad

Retold by Satoto Kusasi



Chapter 1

“You right Prince, ask them whether they want to provide you or King; do it now. We have not much time since the King would come immediately.”

Prince Sora Mahisa spoke, “Gentlemen, we have many guests that came from HQ east sector. They said that our King was very angry to me and would give hard punishment to me. I knew you asked me what the reason was. The reason was a woman who is my lover. My father disagreed with our plan to marry. Then he would come with his soldiers to do hard punishment upon both of us, my lover and I.Now I want to ask you all, do you agree with my plan to marry?”

“WE AGREED WITH YOU.” All the soldiers shouted.

“Thank you very much. However, the problem would not just be agree or disagree. The problem that had faced us was civil war would erupt. Because of the King would have punished both of us. Now I want to know, do you want to help me as your leader or do you want to help the King? If you want to help me then you will stay at right of row; if you want to help the King then you will stay at left of row.
The King will come soon, therefore, we have not much time to decide; now do it.”

The soldiers confused; and they asked to each other. Some of them gave comment, “It was Royal Family problem not us; they should have their solution by their own.”

“Come on, hurry up time goes on and we have a limited time.” Prince shouted.

Suddenly every body heard a sound of female who read poetry,

The war continued never end
Many soldiers’ dead, their family cried
Who order this criminality act?
He was a mad King

Even the King had killed his own best of staff
His services to his Country was useless
Good-bye to you Boyo Pitu
We regretted your dieing

Now the mad King would come soon
His own son would be his targeted
Punishment would come to Prince
Just because the son want to marry

Will you provide the mad King?
Think twice, do not make mistake
It was the problem of Kingdom
Kingdom's fate was in your hand

I suggest you to provide Prince Sora Mahisa
Down with the mad King
Ended the useless war
People were longing peaceful.


Not so long, the poetry reader came out from mansion. She was great, pretty and charismatic. She walked slowly to her lover. Sora approached her, guided to stage and said, “Gentlemen, actually this woman had become central point of our problem now. Because of my father disagreed with her. However, I did not blame her but father.
Do you agree this pretty woman would be my wife?”

“AGREED, AGREED” All the soldiers shouted.

“If so then we would have been united to fight against mad King.The King will come soon; let us welcome him and fight him.”

The soldiers moved toward eastern to welcome King Girindrawardana. Now they have been a solid line to provide Prince; no one soldier provide the King.


Chapter 2

Meanwhile, Akuwu Wengker and the entire soldiers watched the happening in front mansion. Ki Manjangan admired his Princess. He gave comment, “Princess had become central point of their problem, Sora said. Yes I agreed with you Sora and even more she was looks like an arrow that had penetrated into your own Kingdom. She could be able to make a civil war that the son would fight against his own father.”

Akuwu Wengker said, “Do not be happy Ki Manjangan since their problem not yet finish and even your Princess could be killed by her father in law.Now I command to all of you to join Wulansari soldiers to fight against King Girindrawardana.”

“No I disagreed with you; remember Wulansari was our enemy and even our cruel enemy; we still at war now.” Patih Kebo Ireng said.

“Patih, I am afraid Princess was in jeopardy. How we could protect her?”

“We had sent just a soldier at battlefield to fight Wulansari Kingdom and now we saw good result of her fighting, that the Wulansari’s would fight to each other.
That soldier was Princess Putri Sekarpandanwangi. She was a brave soldier; and she was strong enough to defeat enemy because she had supported by her lover. Therefore, do not be afraid.Let us watch them what would happen next.” Patih Kebo Ireng said.

“You right Patih. But we must ready for combating; if the King has defeated Sora then we would have joined into battlefield to help Sora.”

“Your planning was good, but let them know what we want to do to help them.I suggest you to tell them that we want to help Sora Mahisa for killing his father because it was a sin to kill a father by someone else.”

“How?”

“You have to write a letter and give it to Princess. Ki Manjangan and Singo Barbaran could able to send the letter.”

“Thank you Patih and I will write a letter,

“Dear Princess, we want to join into the battlefield and help Sora Mahisa to kill his father. It would be a sin of him if he had killed his own father.We greeted to your fiancé, Prince Sora Mahisa.

Sincerely,
Akuwu Wengker

“How we could send this letter Master. It was impossible task, because they would detain us and push us into jail.” Ki Manjangan asked frightening.

“We have two military uniforms of Wulansari soldier; you could use it and we hope they did not know you as intruder.” Akuwu said.

Two soldiers of Medang join into row of their enemies.However, Singo Barbaran came late; and finally he hid behind a tree while Ki Manjangan did not know and left him. Ki Manjangan forwarded into their line. The enemies welcome Ki Manjangan who came late into the line. Because he came late then Wulansari soldiers asked him with a sandy code for that day. Of course, Ki Manjangan could not answer the sandy code.

They detained Ki Manjangan, tided his hand and brought him to Penyewu.

“Who are you? Are you Demak's spy?” The Penyewu asked him.

“I am soldier of Medang Kingdom. I want to meet Princess Putri Sekarpandanwangi. I want to give her a letter.”

Surprised, the Penyewu became polite hearing Medang Kingdom soldier. He released hands tided, brought him and faced him to Princess and Prince.

Princess Putri Sekarpandanwangi laughed at him, “Your uniform was too large Ki Manjangan. I told you. do not come to me; you just watching me from a distance.”

Ki Manjanagn bowed to greet his Princess and then gave the letter.

She and her lover read the letter together. She was happy and more even Sora Mahisa. Sora was happy because Akuwu Wengker had sent greeting, “Now I have permit to go further into Sekarpandanwangi’s family. That was meant I had become part of their family. Their family's door had been openend by Akuwu” Sora said.

"Darling, I had opened it for you before Akuwu did."

"Wow. thank you darling."

“Ki Manjangan, thank you for your coming; send my regard to our Commandant at war, Akuwu Wengker. This is an answered letter to your Commandant.”

The letter contended is, Dear brother, I knew that you would be angry to me since the scenario of oursdid not match with the reality. I do not want to kill Prince Sora Mahisa; even I loved himmuch more than before. I have to hold the rope of love more tightly other wise I would fallendown and death. We, Sora and I have plan to kill King Girindrawardana since he was the realassassin of our father. Prince Sora Mahisa was happy hearing your greeting.
Thank you so much for your helping.
Pincess Putri Sekarpandanwangi.

Ki Manjangan rode his horse to his camp. He met his subordinate who hid behind a tree.

“Hi why you hid behind a tree?”

“I had been waiting you, not hid; until two days. If you did not show up then I would have guessed that you had detained by enemy. Then I would go into enemy’s row to help you.”

"You are coward right? Confess!"


Chapter 3

Three thousand amounts of Wulansari soldiers departed from East Sector HQ to western, Kaliurang Village. The leader was King himself and Patih Gajah Urip.

They had been walking two days long of journey, now the destination was near almost reaching.

King Girindrawardana was still angry to his son, “I want to see Prince and his lover hanging until death.” His anger was not subsideThe King rode his horse at rear of the line, slowly and calmly.

Meanwhile, Patih Gajah Urip at the front of line, “I would prefer not to fight my own friends than fight against Demak Army. Why did my King want to punish his own son? Because of Prince just want to marry, was it the reason? The King was really mad.” He mused.

The cavalry soldiers at front row rode their horse fast; the horses gallop made dust flying, therefore view became vague. The horses at behind also fast their horses.

Nevertheless, every soldier raised his white flag; white flag spread over head of the cavalry soldiers. What was that mean? They want to make peace not war.

The King at rear of row thought, “The war just began; I have to see the war happening; so I must fast my horse.”

The King saw Patih Gajah Urip had been talking with Prince Sora Mahisa; Patih went down from his horse, so did Prince; then both of them shake their hands.

“What? Why did they shake their hands? Oh my God, that was a rebellion against my authority; now I realized that they had become rebels.I must go away and save my life.”

The King turned his horse back and rode fast toward east. He rode his horse fast and fast. His soldiers were watching their King. The King turned his head and saw that entire his soldiers had been watching him; the King became frightened, then he fast his horse.

King’s horse became fatigue and made slow its moving.

“Come on horse, move fast and save my life. Do you want to be rebel too?”
A soldier turned his horse, fast his horse, unsheathed his sword and run after the King. Seems he want to kill his King.

However, Prince Sora Mahisa shouted, “NO. Do not kill him, let him go!”The soldier obeyed and returned.

Suddenly, a mob of soldiers came down from top of a hill. Their leader used mask to conceal his face. Surprised that Princess Putri Sekarpandanwangi joined with that strange group of soldiers, even she was at front line.

They were Medang soldiers, led by Akuwu Wengker. Their amount was just two hundred soldiers.

Princess rode her horse calmly, run after the King; she thought, “Hi King you have to pay your debt to us. I knew you are just a little snake, no more likely a python. You must know that I am a King Eagle now, not a chicken. I am flying over to catch you as my prey."

King’ horse was so fatigue that finally it stopped; it could be able to move its leg.

Princess came, neared and approached her enemy. She unsheathed her keris. The same keris that had ever been used to kill King Ribut Sakti.

“Hi King, to day you have to pay your debt.”

“What kind of debt?”

“You have killed my father, King Ribut Sakti; and now you must die to pay back my father’s soul”.

“I am not a killer but my son, Prince Sora Mahisa.”The King unsheathed his sword; it was King’s sword; it was a sharp, long and heavy sword.

“However, you have ordered that murder, now pay back!”

Princess moved forward two steps.
The King swung his sword straight to her head. However, she bent down then the sword flied over her head.

Because of the heavy sword, the King’s step was imbalanced. That was an opportunity for Princess; that she could stab the keris on to his chest.
Then the King fell down to earth.

Akuwu Wengker approached the site of fighting. He saw the King was going to die.Blood flow from his wound, dropped and stained the ground.The King murmured, “Give me water please!”
Akuwu Wengker went down from his horse, approached him and gave his earthen jug water.

“Thank you very much”

“I too, thank you very much for the paying back of your debt.”

Prince Sora Mahisa came, went down from his horse, approached Akuwu Wengker and gave his hands. They shake hands in front the King. All soldiers saw the event; is thata ceremonial peace agreement between Wulansari and Medang? Patih Kebo ireng, Jaran Edan as well as Medang soldiers disappointed to see acting of their comandant.

Sora neared his father and said, “I am sorry father that I cannot help you.”

“You do not have to; I said sorry to you. I knew that I had done mistake on both of you. Now I knew that your wife was great, brave and appropriate for you, so please take care of her.”

Finally, the King was death already. The corpse lied down on stage at the site of murdering. The secretary had built a stage at there. The Government of Wulansari announced that the King had passed away.

The entire soldiers of Wulansari were grieved. However, some of them were happy and even they danced and sang. Aspecially Penyewu Boyo Lali and his subordinates as well as subordinates of Boyo Pitu.


Chapter 4

The Medang soldiers led by Akuwu Wengker were among many soldiers of Wulansari. The two groups separated by stage of corpse. Nevertheless, they were still at war. Therefore, the two groups could make new war; then it was a danger situation.

Wulansari Kingdom's secretary announced, that Demak Kingdom had cancelled their attacking, because they had been fighting against Portuguese which launch counter attack.

Prince Sora Mahisa along with entire soldiers were happy to hear it; the soldiers shouted in happiness. They really tired to do war.

Suddenly Medang's armies moved toward their enemy “Hi Wulansari soldiers, let us continue our fighting.” Jaran Edan shouted then he moved forward with sword in his hand. One hundreds soldiers followed him.

The new war was almost to began. The situation was frightening and even the arrows from both side had flown to each target.

Princess Putri Sekar went toward in between. She through away every arrow with her sword, "Stop! Do not move. I said stop!"

Princess Putri Sekarpandanwangi climbed the stage and spoke, “ Jaran! Stop your action! Soldiers! I command you return to your line! (The place became quiet for a moment).

I am Queen of Medang Kingdom, announced to both of you that the war between of you ended. I said no more war.

we, Medang people claimed as the winner of this war. I want to say again that we were the winner.Who wants to protest our announcement?

The place became quiet again, no body speak or whisper.

Hi you! King of Wulansari, do you want to protest? Do you want to continue this war now? I and my Army will fight you now, if you want to; I will donate my soul for Glorious Medang Kingdom."

Jaran Edan and his troops came back again with sword in their hands, ready for combating.While Patih Kebo Ireng prepare their archer group, ready to shoot.

Now situation became worst than before since Wulansari Army also ready for combating.Patih Gajah Urip looked at Prince, seems waiting his command to attack.

Everybody looked at Prince Sora Mahisa, waiting his decision whether he want to fight or peace.If he want to make peace then he had down his own reputation.

Prince Sora Mahisa had pale face, frightening. Sweat dropped from his front head.Sora did not suppose his lover had spoken like this event; she asked him for fighting.She did not reciprocate Sora's kindness; she was forgetting her self interesting; but she emphasized her Country. Princess looks an eagle that ripped its prey with its claws.

"If I had done war then I would have broken my agreement with Princess Sekar.
I have to do justice and stopping the war." Prince thought.

He moved slowly on to stage and spoke, “Soldiers, I command to all of you to surrender; put your weapon down on the ground. We could not be able to fight but peace.I am the King of Wulansari; on behalf of my people, asked you apology to the people of Medang. We regretted that we had done war against you. I knew that say sorry was not enough, therefore, we want to replaced your belonging and everything you had lost."

"Say sorry is not enough; you had burnt our Palace and also our houses." Jaran Edan shouted

"You had killed my family." A soldier of Medang shouted.


(To be continued)

No comments: