Monday, September 28, 2009

The Legend of Tumenggung Wiranegara (Part 5)

Retold by Satoto Kusasi


The intruder was really son of King, as he confess.

How could the King became angry, disappointed and shameful to his own step son, whose name Suropati. More even, The King became angrier as he know that the pretty woman wasn’t common Pesinden but Putri Gusik Kesuma, the widow of Pangeran Purbaya.

He decided to do justice for his son the accused of murderer against a soldier of Untung.

Suropati approved to be guilty and given death penalty.

The King was sad and he needs talk with Untung to reveal his emotion, “How I am sad found the reality that my son was guilty. I want to ask you Untung, want you to be my son to change Suropati?”

“No, I don’t want. I can’t live in a Palace like yours, because I am a warrior.”

“At least, you can use his name, to remember me as if he still alive, will you?”

“Yes I will. From now on my name is Untung Suropati.”

“Are you happy with your new name?”

“Of course I am happy.”

After that, Untung and his troops depart to other town to do his amusement show. Mean while Putri Gusik Kesuma still in her position as Pesinden. She can forget the misfortune that hit her, even she confident as a pretty and attractive widow.

Every drama show always full with spectators; they were satisfied with drama. Putri Gusik Kesuma still atracted for young men; then they could be forced to come.

Untung and his committee of course can get much money. Now they would no more being starvation. However, Untung has problem that many of his artists, actually his soldiers, want to stay as real artist; they don’t want to be soldier of Untung again.

Untung need to talk with them. Then Untung Suropati call on his entire artist, included Putri Gusik Kesuma for talking that mater.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I knew how your feeling is, as an artist. That is a good job of you and I can understand that you will be heavy to leave that career.

However, The situation would become differend when you visualize another side of our people. Cirebon people are still prosperous by then they could be able to buy ticket of your amusement show, that because their Country still has their freedom from scroundel Dutch.

I believed people of Banten can’t be able to buy your amusement ticket, because they are poor now, since the greedy Dutch has tax their income; after their Kingdom has been defeated; and Dutch do monopoly of spices in Banten market.

If you do your amusement show at Kertasura City, I believe you will find the same as Banten, since Kertasura would be almost defeated by scroundel Dutch. Their King must pay to greedy Dutch much money and that money is people’s.

Therefore, please make your people or your brother being free from scroundel Dutch, then they would become rich again that they could be able to buy your amusement ticket of show, right?

Do you want to stay at Cirebon Kingdom? Not so long the Dutch will come and conquered the Kingdom then Cirebon people would become poor; I believe that.

So, I want to say, thank you for your effort to get much money. And I want to ask you to continue our struggle against Dutch as your father or granfather have asked you. And I believed, InsyaAllah (God’s willing) the people will become rich again as usual after scroundel Dutch has gone away. After that you could do your genuine Job as Artist, right?”

The artist soldiers understood what the leader saying, then they will continue their struggle.

The mob of troops went to Kertasura, home of Putri Gusik Kesuma.


Chapter 12

The King at that time was Amangkurat II or Mas Rachmat, ruled 1677-1703.

Amangkurat II could ruled after defeated rebellion of Trunojoyo, help by VOC. However, the Dutch VOC asked their wages or cost of war, as much as two and half million Gulden. Therefore, the King has debt to VOC.

Mean while Patih Nerangkusuma influenced the King not to pay that debt. This Patih is father of Putri Gusik Kesuma.

Finnaly, the mob of Untung Suropati came to Putri Gusik Kesuma’s home. How her parents being delightful to welcome their daughter; she, who was just came from Banten battlefield, the cruel and horrible battle.

Putri Gusik Kesuma told her event of the war, how Kapten Tack run after her and her husband, forced them to hide in the deep forest of Mount Gede; other-wise they could be killed.

She told about her husband, Pangeran Purbaya who wants to surrender keenly and then they must be parted because of the reason.

At the end of her story, she told about her hero, Untung Suropati, who has come surprising, “If I didn’t meet him then my husband and I would have been capitated at Batavia.”

By then every body in the room gaze Untung Suropati, the hero of Putri and also all the people of Nusantara.

Patih Nerangkusuma said, “Hi Untung, we want to thank you and also ask you, will you protect my daughter forever?”

“Of course I will, because of Kapten Tack will come soon to capture on me and all of my friends, included Putri Gusik Kesuma, your daughter. Therefore, we ask you some places for us to build Head Quarter. If the enemies came then we would fight them.”

“Hi Untung, I mean to protect my daughter forever is I want you to marry my daughter, will you?”

Untung Suropati surprised hearing his saying. He can’t say any word because of happiness. He immediatelly approached, sat in front his chair and kissed his knee, “Yes I will. I will protect my wife as hard as I could.”

He look at Gusik Kesuma as if he ask Gusik, how do you? Putri immediately does as Untung did, she kissed her father’s knee.

How happy the couple are, we can see clue of their gleaming and smilling faces showing to every one in the room.

Nevertheless, Patih Nerangkusuma too fast for asking Untung till he realize that he doesn’t know what the marrying state of Untung.

“Hi Untung are you married, single or widower?” Patih asked.

“I am widower, my wife has gone to Holland.”

“Is that mean you have divorced? If yes, why divorce?”

“Yes I have divorce. That was because of we have different Nation; my wife is a Dutch woman and I am Bali man.”

The room became quiet since every body feel strange. It was rare a man of Java, Madura or Bali tribes could marry with a Dutch woman. Perhaps Untung is spy of Dutch or traitor.

Finnaly Untung explained concerning his marrying, “I know that my biography is strange that I have married with a Dutch woman. Believe me that I am a warrior against Dutch as you wish. Even, my troops and I are at the front of battlefield right now.”

Putri Gusik Kesuma said, “I swear to be a woman soldier as subordinate of Untung Suropati, father.” She said, without hesitate.

Untung Suropati affected by her word; not just her valuable belonging but also her soul has been donated to the soil of Nusantara. “Gusik Kesuma, now you are safe in your mother’s arm; then you don’t have to hold bow with arrow or spear and sword, but my troops and I will.”

“I decided the marrying of couple will be held tomorrow. We will not make large wedding party but just a simple feast to make people know that they have married officially. I say that because of our Nation condition is apprehensive about wars.” Nerangkusuma said.

The wedding party celebrate in Nerangkusuma home. The guests are friends of Untung and the family of Nerangkusuma. The couple say and do ‘Ijab Kabul’ ceremonial infront the ‘Kadi’(Judge) and many witness. Then the couple become a husband and a wife as formally.

The guests are happy since Patih Nerangkusuma was a nice man that he pleased to explain every difficulty of his Kingdom and the correlation with their enemies, the Dutch

That wedding ceremonial of Gusik would be different than that of marrying of Suzzane. Poor Suzzane have just one witness, Lukman; also they have felt fear because of rejection of Suzzane’s parent, that’s pity.

Untung’s father in law brought Untung face the King as formal visit. Both near the Throne, and unite palms hand. Untung said, “I am Untung Suropati face and give honor to You’re Majesty, hoping God bless you and your family.”

“Who? Untung Suropati? Wow surprise since your name has made every one in Java woke up to fight the Dutch conqueror. Believe me that I took sympathy on your struggle. ’

“Thank you for your pricing You’re Majesty; However, I hope our trip to your Kingdom doesn’t make difficulty to you. I don’t mean have been placing the batlefield into your Palace.”

“In fact you have done it, Untung, because I knew Kapten Francois Tack has run after you till my Palace now. Kapten will come to catch you. Therefore I have to hide you at a secret place; the place is Babirong Village. I will help you if the enemies have come to catch you.”

“I am not a fly that too easy to catch. Believe me that we along with my entire troops will fight as hard as we could. We just hope your praying could support our strength.”

Both asked permit to go home.

Untung Suropati build their Head Quarter at Babirong Village. Everybody work hard all day long, prepared the big war against Dutch soldiers. They build fortification, canal, and prepare their each weapons. Rifle long gun of VOC also will use even though they didn’t familiar to use it. The troops was amount one thousand and three hundred soldiers.

Untung spoke continuously to his entire soldiers to increase their struggle spirit and moral.

Alhamdulillah (Thanks to God) the soldiers understood and having high moral and even will donate their soul for their Mother Soil of Nusantara.


Chapter 13

Untung Suropati got news from his secret agent that Kapten Tack will come.

Untung held emergency war meeting with agenda hearing spy’s information.

“As I heard from the Palace guard, Kapten Tack will come on the next week with seventy four amount of horseman soldiers.”

Patih Gendut gave his opine, “the amount is such strange, too little for us”

Untung said, “Please don’t be conceited Gendut, say Alhamdullilah (thanks to God) that by their little amount of soldiers, we could be able to defeat them, Insyaallah (if God willing).

“Alhamdullilah” Gendut said.

Pasopati gave comment, “I have information from Patih Nerangkusuma that the King has debt to VOC as much as two and half million Gulden. That is a lot of money. Every debitor ussualy will agree with every request of their creditor. That is a rule as not formally rule.

I assume that there is a conversation between the King and KaptenTack in which Kapten asked the King to catch Untung Suropati and his gang for him. Then the King will have to say yes as assumption.

That is why Kapten Tack just brought a little amount of soldiers.”

“That is good assessment of you Pasopati, I agreed with you that is why they just brought little amount of soldiers. And now I knew how the King and the scroundel Dutch are friends, realy friends; even I have known the first name of Kapten, ‘Francois’; from the King himself.

I decided to fight enemies in his Palace; I really will make difficulty to the King as I said.

Patih Gendut said, “No! My Lord. You will never make difficulty to the King; that because I have another assumption that the King will say to Kapten Tack that Untung not yet catch; Then the King said, “You can catch Untung by yourself and I just let you know their hiding place, Babirong Village”.

The King added, “How I could catch Untung whereas you can’t be able to catch him. I have to refuse your request because we have weak Army; I knew you have known my condition.”

“Wonderful Patih Gendut, that is the second probability of you. In this case, I assume Kapten Tack would have go home and then prepare a huge Army, will hit straight to our Head Quarter at Babirong Village.”

The meeting close every body satisfied with good assessement.

One day after the meeting, a young man with a spear in his hand come, wants to meet Untung Suropati. He asked to allow being soldier of Untung. It is strange, how a man wants to donate his soul.

“Hi you, who are you? What do you want?”

“I am Pangeran Puger, I am step brother of the King. Did you remember that the King will help you? That would be me as your soldier since I have my duty from the King to help you.”

Untung Suropati turn down from his chair and sat in front King’s brother, “I am Untung give honor to you Pangeran.”

“Right Untung, I am happy to see your Palace Etiquette. Please make my present as secret, other wise Dutch would be angry to the King; please call me a simple name Joko. You will know my expert to throw spear; my spear has magic power, its name Kiai Plered.”

“Alhamdullilah (thanks to God) welcome Joko; now you are my subordinate.”

The seceret agent of Untung has been spying every time of the Palace up until Kapten Francois Tack really came. The spy give urgent information to Lord Untung immediately.

Untung Suropati deployed two hundred soldiers to surround Palace, led by Joko. They came at the rear of Palace secretly. Joko has known better the Palace situation.

Kapten Francois Tack along with his soldiers came, went straight to Palace. They were conceited as if The Palace is theirs. Kapten asked the Palace guard to find the King.

Kapten said to the King, “How are you? Did you have arested Untung and his gang for me?”
The King said, “Yes I did.”

“Where are they now?”

“I place them at rear of Palace, they have been tied with iron chain, so they can’t move.”

“Oh very good! So, we can capture or kill them. Let us see our prisoner!”

Kapten and his entire guard went out of Palace, walked on the yard and reached the rear of Palace. They found a mob of men who beg to him not to be killed. Their foot and hand was tied by rope. “Please don’t kill me, I beg you please.”

Kapten wondering when he found the Untung’s mob, “Where is Untung? I knew his face; this mob of men isn’t our target; they are not Untung’s soldiers. The King has deceit us.”

Suddenly, a spear flied stright onto chest of Kapten Tack; the spear stabbed, penetrated into his heart. He fell down to death. Blood spurt from his wound and also from his mouth.

Untung shouted, “Attack!” Then, plenty arrows flied to its target.

The Dutch soldiers have been surprising to see their leader fell down at sudden when suddenly Untung attacked with plenty arrows. All Dutch soldiers were death, penetrated by arrows. The dead bodies was amount seventy five, included Kapten Francois Tack.

He was Joko, a man who throw the spear to Kapten Francois Tack for the first time. He used the spear of Kiai Plered that he believed has magic power.


Chapter 14

Perhaps Kapten Tack was afraid to face Untung in a fair battlefield, therefore, he asked the King to capture Untung for him. He believed the King would be honest to fulfill his request, but he was wrong.

The King and Pangeran Puger have their trick making trap for Kapten Tack. They used the mob of prisoners as their role being Untung’s mob.

VOC didn’t want to make the case being silent then put it in the box, therefore, VOC send an investigation team to search the murder. Of course the King became afraid and restless.

Now Untung Suropati has successful at many batlefield. “I have to rest after many fighting therefore I need a territory for my own Country. I am a King and I have my people too as my soldiers; nevertheless, I haven’t territory for my authority as a King. I should have.”

Untung asked his father in law, then they discuss concerning Untung’s problem, along with Gusik Kesuma.

Patih Nerangkusuma told history, “You must know the history of many Kings in Java obviously, for your knowledge and also for you could take good attitude to face a King of Java.

The King’s father is Amangkurat I (Raden Mas Sayidin) ruled 1646 - 1677 was the King with absolute authority. He faced many rebellions as long as his rulling.

After elected as a King, he did secret assassination upon his political opponent, senior politician of Tumenggung Wiroguno and Tumenggung Danupoyo. Nevertheless, people know that the King has done murder, by then they do rebellion led by Mas Alit (brother of King). The religious community supported the rebel. The King can extinguish the rebel and killed his little brother, Mas Alit. However, The community of religious, term ‘kaum ulama’ were still fighting. The King took action by did mass killing upon that community; there were 5000 amount of dead bodies lay down in alun-aluan (common field). That was a horrible action of the King.

Mas Rachmat did rebellion (1661) since he heard he was no more as a Prince. Some body said that title of Prince has been taken by Pangeran Singosari, another son of King from mistress. But again the King could extinguish the rebel. Nevertheless, the correlation between father and son no more pleasant.

After that accident, the King got anger to his own son, because Mas Rachmat wants to seize a pretty woman of King’s, name Rara Oyi. Rachmat’s Grandpa, Raden Pekik seized Rara Oyi from Palace and brought to his Grandson (Mas Rachmat), for him could marry. However, the King came with his armies, killed his own father in law (Raden Pekik) and captured the couple who want to marry.

Raden Mas Rachmat has apology from his father, but with one condition that he must kill his lover by his own hand. Again, that was another bad action of the King, Amangkurat I.

Mas Rachmat can’t subside his anger to his own father.

Once a while, Panembahan Rama has introduced Trunojoyo to Mas Rachma; Trunojoyo is Pangeran (Noble person) from Madura, was son in law of Panembahan Rama or Raden Kajoran (relative family of ‘Ratu Wetan’ King’s wife).

Panembahan Rama said, “If you want to do rebellion then you could use my son in law, Trunojoyo. You will just suport him for the cost of war and weapon.”

Mas Racmat agreed with Panembahan Rama and prepare to do rebel along with Trunojoyo

Surprise, Trunojoyo has large follower from people of Mataram, that is a clue that people have an aversion to his own King, Amangkurat I.

Also the Community of Makasar led by Karaeng Galesong helped Trunojoyo. This people is refugees from Goa Kingdom which just been defeated by VOC in year 1668

Mas Rachmat should be happy with Trunojoyo’s result, but he was not, even afraid with his own friend as if he ride a beast tiger. Then he left his companion and back again to his father. It was hard to understand, what was in his mind really.

Trunojoyo with huge mass moved straight to Plered Palace on second of July, 1677. King Amangkurat I run away to Tegal City as refugee; before running away, he askes Mas Rachmat to fight as hard as he could against the rebels, but Mas Rachmat also run away.

Another son of King from Ratu Wetan’s wife, name Pangeran Puger fought to defence Plered Palace as hard as he could, but he failed. Pangeran Puger was the one to be suspected as rebel, because he was a member of ‘Kajoran Family’; Therefore, he wants to show to his father that he was not rebel even he has fought against rebel.

Pangeran run to a village and hid, because he has been defeated

After rob and do vandalism upon the Palace, Trunojoyo went back to his Head Quarter at Kediri City. We could say, Mataram Kingdom has ended. No armies want to defence their Palace, no people want to help their King, even hate to their own King.

If Trunojoyo wants to declare himself as a King then everybody would be agreed, but he doesn’t want to; why was he so stupid?.

After enemy has gone, left the Palace of Plered then Pangeran Puger came out from his hiding, went to the damage Palace along with his follower. He declare him self as a King with title Susuhunan ing Alaga.

Mean while, King Amangkutat I death at year 1677. According ‘Babad tanah Jawi’ (tale of Java people) the King was poisoned by his own son, Mas Rachmat. He die at Tegal City by then he called also as Panembahan Tegalarum, since the place of his dieing has good smell. Even though he had been poisoned by his own son, the King elected his son Mas Rachmat as his successor with title Amangkurat second (II). Perhaps he didn’t know the causes of his dieing.

The King also say his willing, for asking VOC to help Mas Rachmat fight against Trunojoyo.

Amangkurat II made agreement with VOC to attack the rebel; of course the agreement will signed together on a peace of paper; VOC will have right for his wages.

When Amangkurat II came to central Mataram, he found another King of Mataram at there, Susuhunan Ing Alaga; that was his step brother. Therefore he made a new Palace at Kertasura.

He asked his step brother to join with him, but Susuhunan refused. Therefore, a civil war has erupted. Amangkurat II asked VOC for his helping to fight against Pangeran Puger. VOC sent Jacob Couper to defeat Pangeran Puger.

The war absorbed much material and money that made the people became poor and more poverty. Finnaly, Susuhunan Ing Alaga surrendered and asked apology to his eldest brother, then he was no more Susuhunan, just Pangeran Puger.

VOC’s soldiers led by Kapten Tack attacked Kediri and captured Trunojoyo. VOC brought Trunojoyo in front the King. Now, Trunojoyo as custody face his old friend, Amangkurat II, “So, what do you want with your pity companion? I want to say that I am successful to help you as rebel against your father, but suddenly you have become a traitor, how shame of you!. Look! I don’t want to be a King as you have doubt on me, even I please you.” Trunojoyo said, while Mas Rachmat bent down.

The King can’t say any word, he just stabbed his companion until death. In this case, what was in his mind really? What was he thought about the friendship?

VOC has done his duty to help the King and then they asked their wages as much as two and half million Gulden in cash.

Kapten Tack said, “ We haven’t political target in this case; we just want to set up every request of our customers. Our duty is to make satisfied every customer of ours.”

So, my son Untung Suropati, the history was still rolling up until now; and you have your role in that history. Your name would be writen and being remember to the next generation of ours.

Supposing the history was a picture in canvas, I want to suggest you not make dirty the picture with your dark color painted put on the canvas, but make it yielding and expressive, therefore, the people would be happy to see that picture.”

Untung Suropati gave his opine, “ Thank you father, so I must take suspiciously to face the King. Might he has his planning to make harm on me as his enemy. How about you father?”

“Yes you right, you must learn the Trunojoyo experience!”

“What’s your comment, my dearest Gusti Kesuma?

Gusti Kesuma said,

I will say put on in the poetry

Majority of Java Kings full with trick and ruthless

Descend from his grandpa untill their grand child

Woman, wealth and authority was motivation

Keep on by feeling greedy, proud, doubt and jealous

Desire has to fulfill

Even though making agreement with the enemy Dutch

People cry, property gone for paying

The King’s debt to VOC ,Company


Shall I proud to my King?

He will never be a King without support by people

He forgot what was he before that

He throw his own friend that have ever hold up

Oh Goddess, I’m longing for your incarnation as Knight

Please go down to Earth that has been damaged by greedy King

For you can fix that to make it being equal

For you can make people voice could be heard

No one being crazy to hold full of authority

Making people poverty.


“Thank you my dearest Gusik Kesuma; I just want to say ‘Innalilahi wa innalilahi rojiun’ That is mean, every person will come to God and God will do the best justice upon everything that he or she has done.” Untung suropati said.”

Patih Nerangkusuma continued, “Don’t ask any thing to our King, since he was a poor man now. Even your present in Kertasura City has make much difficulty to the King. He wants you to go out from City immediately.”

“Why I must go? And where we can go?”

“Because of VOC has known everything about Kapten Tack’s murder. The investigator has proved that the King was included as one of the killer in this case.

However, I assume VOC would not come as long as you been at Kertasura City, because they afraid of you. You are the best warrior that they have ever known.

Therefore, you better wait until the King want you to go as VOC wish to the King.

If the King asked you to go then you could ask the King, where you must to go.”

“Thank you father. Then we can take pleasure for a while; we just wait the King call on us, right?”

“Yes you right.”


Chapter 15

Patih Nerangkusuma’s supposition is right that the King finnaly called on Untung Suropati for Untung’s visiting to his Palace. The King took respect to Untung, even he feel a little bit afraid since Untung could defeat Dutch soldiers successfully in every battle.

“Before the Dutch would come for searching, we would better ask Untung to go to somewhere. Supposing they could ask Untung as a witness.” The King thought; He feel restless and guilty.

However, the Dutch really afraid against Untung and his troopers, therefore, they would never ask

Untung as witness; even they want Untung to go disappear to somewhere.
Untung approached the Throne, sat in front the King and said, “I am Untung come to you, giving honor to you, You’re Majesty.”

“Thank you Untung.” The King said.

“I will do what ever You’re Majesty ask me; so, what can I do for you?”

“I want you to go from your hiding place since I don’t want to find a battlefield would take place at my territory.”

Untung kept silent for a moment and finnaly said, “I and my troopers have never been hiding at Babirong Village, but we defended against Dutch attacking; even we have been waiting our enemies since the last battle at your Palace.

I want you to know that we are ready combating and even ready to donate our soul for our Mother Earth of Nusantara. Believe us that we want to protect you from the scroundel Dutch and you would be save.

You have to know that our troopers is the third generation of Sultan Agung’s soldiers”. Their Grandfather asked them to continue fighting against VOC.”

The King seems just want to be save, not care the story of Untung.

“I want you to go to reduce the victims of war. However, I want say thank you for your kindness to protect me.”

“Where we have to go?”

The King kept silent; he mused, “The Dutch have suspicion about Bupati Pasuruan, where he ever help Trunojoyo as a rebel. The Dutch asked to organize Pasuruan region. Therefore, I want Untung to alter Bupati at there. If Bupati refused to be adjusted then Untung would right to force on him.

“You can go to Pasuruan region. The ruler at there name Bupati Anggajaya have to go then you can keep his posittion. I will make a letter to him for he can go with peace; if he refused to go then you could use your armies to force upon him.”

“Thank you You’re Majesty, God will bless you along with your Family.” Untung asked permit to leave.

Untung Suropati was delightful that he will have his territory as a ruler. They departed leaving Kertasura City to Pasuruan. The entire troopers followed with their military equipment.

They came at edge Pasuruan City, erected their tents and waited. One of them went straight to Bupati Palace to send King’s letter.

Bupati Anggajaya surprise by finding many tents surround his City and even more receiving a letter from the King asking him to go from Pasuruan. He really afraid to do battle against Untung, therefore, he has to go with heavy heart to Surabaya.

Untung took over the Pasuruan Palace, place his troopers in Head Quarter and reorganized every administration of Pasuruan. Finnaly he elected himself as Tumenggung, his name became Tumenggung Wiranegara.

They lived with his family in peace condition. The three sons grew up in this place; the eldest is Raden Pengantin, the second is Raden Suropati and the third is Raden Suradilaga.

Times goes on made Untung and his armies grew old; Their military power not stronger than before and even Untung Suropati has paralyzed on his right leg by then he has to sit on sedan chair for his movement.

The three sons took over their father position as commandant and being helped by Patih Gendut. They realized that the war was still going on that sometimes The VOC Dutch will come to attack.

Mean while the King, Amangkurat II has passed in the year 1703. His son name Mas Kencet took over his father’s duty as King; he has his title King Amangkurat III. He has bad attitude the same as his Grandpa, therefore, people dislike the new King. Name ‘Kencet’ is a mockery name since he hobble. He has his deformity on his leg.

Not so long, Pangeran Puger did rebellion against the new King. And then the Civil War happened again for the second time. It happened in the year 1704.

VOC Dutch waited for his new job patiently. Pangeran Puger or King Amangkurat III who wants to ask their service. Pangeran Puger which ask first, then VOC soldiers come to help Pangeran and fight against Amangkurat III. VOC said, “We don’t need paying attention with politic, we just do good service to our customer.”

The Dutch armies led by Commandant Goovert Knole attack Kertasura Palace; defeated King Amangkurat III, who run away to Pasuruan. Why he goes to Pasuruan? Perhaps he hope Untung Suropati or Tumenggung Wiranegara still remember his father’s kind to give Pasuruan territory and then want to help him.

Pangeran Puger occupied the Palace of Kertasura and declare himself as King with title King Pakubuwono I. Is he feel satisfied? No he didn’t. Since he must pay to VOC as war budget.

The agreement consist, Pangeran Puger have to pay four and a half million Gulden; VOC took territory of Semarang, Cirebon and Kerawang become their authority; the last, Pangeran Puger have to send 10 000 Ton of rice to Batavia every year.

That agreement was reagreement of Amangkurat II. Perhaps Amangkurat II never pay his debt to VOC since he had influenced by Patih Nerangkusuma.

Kapten Goovert Knole along with Kertasura, Madura and Surabaya soldiers, attacked Pasuruan.

Untung Suropati death at the battlefield. He die at Bangil fortification, October 17th 1706 Before his dieing, he asked to burry his dead body in a secret place, make his grave flat without sign on it and not to announce about his dieing.

Therefore, the three children carry an empty sedan chair as if Untung still alive.

Patih Gendut and Untung’s sons as well as staffs military of Untung;s troopers were still going fight. They join into Arya Jayapuspita group of rebels in Surabaya.

But finnaly VOC could defeat them, arested the three sons and also Amangkurat III.

VOC broght them to Srilangka as political exile.

Herman de Wilde found the grave of Untung Suropati, August 1707. He burnt the dead body and throw the dust into the sea. That is the way they have revealed their hate emotion to Untung Suropati.


Closing

His beloved wife, Putri Gusik Kesuma fought hand in hand with Untung Suropati. No body know what her fate at the last war is. All member of that family were warrior and have their loyalty to Mother Earth of Nusantara.

In the era of modern now, Untung Suropati has been elected as “HERO” or “PAHLAWAN NASIONAL” by Indonesia Government.



The End

No comments: