Friday, April 11, 2008

The Assassination of the King

Retold by Satoto Kusasi


Prologue

Bad people gathered at the field edge of Singosari City; they are plunder, theft, and hoodlum as well as disappointed of many politician in Majapahit Kingdom. They are the rebels that want to launch attack straight to Palace.

The leaders of that mob were Semi and Kuti.
Now they moved to the Trowulan Palace. They want to seize authority from the King.

Meanwhile, the Majapahit soldiers could not be able to hold back the crowd even they run away left the King. The Majapahit Army was weak at that time.

The rebels had come at the front gate of Palace. Their amount was more than two thousand people; they carried their weapon each. They destroyed the Palace gate and fence and then rush into the Palace.

The King was Jayanegara, the second King of Majapahit. He hid in his room because of frightened, “They want to kill me; please somebody help me.”
He afraid, pale face and sweat on his front head.

Afterward, somebody opened the window and then went into King’s room. He was not rebel; he was soldier of Majapahit who wants to save his King. Meanwhile, the rebel had been coming near the King’s room without resist since any guard guarding at there.

The soldier approached, said, “You’re Majesty, you are saving; now follow me through the window; don’t shout; don’t ask but keep silent.” The soldier gave instruction to his King. He held King’s hand, neared the window and went out through the window.

They rode a horse, walked slowly between the bushes, behind the Palace. Afterward, they run their horse into the forest. They were lucky since any rebel watched them.

A minute after the King had gone, the rebels came in front door of the King’s room. They destroyed the door with ax and then rushed into the room, robbed the King belonging and crushed everything with anger feeling, “Where is the King? We came late.”
We could say the King was lucky that he has a brave soldier who had saved him.

Semi and Kuti along with their friends made a wild party in the Palace. They celebrated their winning with beer of tuak (alcoholic liquor from coconut tree) and then they were drunk.


Chapter 1

Now the King saved in a house far from his Palace of Trowulan. He kept in a room alone. However, he still frightened as if the rebels was at there want to kill him.

“You’re Majesty, you could stay in this room for a while; you are in safe place; my wife would serve you with food and drink; mean while, I would fight at battlefield to chase the rebel away.”

Now the King was alone in the room. Not so long, someone did open the room door.

The King tried to hide behind cupboard but he failed.

“Who are you? Did you want to kill me?”

“You’re Majesty; I am the soldier’s wife, wants to give you drink and supper. Please eat and drink for your healthy.”

“I am sorry not to ask your husband’s name, who is your husband?”

“Gajah Mada, penyatus (Military staff with subordinate one hundred soldiers).”

The King satisfied that he has a good soldier like Gajah Mada that had saved him.

“Would you drink and eat with me, lady?”

“No thank you.”

“You must, other wise I do not want to eat this food.”

“Why?”

“I did not trust you whether this food had poured poison or not.”

“I cannot eat with you as you are my King; but please believe me that I did not pour poison into your food.”

“Yes I trust on you; but I insist you to drink and eat this food first before I would eat.”

The woman became fear heard the King instruction and then she drank and ate the food to prove that it save to eat. Afterward, the woman went to the door for leaving.

“Please, do not go lady; I want to know what the reaction of the food in your body.”

The woman could not be able to refuse the King asking and then she returned, had to wait until the King would have finished the food.

Afterward, the King drank and ate. The King was hungry and thirsty that the food was finished immediately.

“Lady, please do not go; please accompany me; I am fear whether the rebel want to kill me; please I beg you.”

“I am just a weak woman, not a soldier. My husband had ordered on me; not allow you to go out since the rebel may come at my house and catch you.”

“Yes that was the reasons so please do not go.”

“I will guard you at the front gate; I will say that this house was an empty house.”

What was the King reason exactly that he wants to near Gajah’s wife?
Because Gajah’s wife was so pretty that, the King attracted with her. That was the reason actually.

Then the next day the King asked Gajah’s wife to accompany him in that room.

Therefore, the King always asks her to accompany him when he eats.

Then day by day, the two creatures of God have been always in a room for eating and drinking.
The woman could not be able to refuse him because he was a King.

Did the King realize that the woman was a wife of his soldier and even his best soldier?

He knew that mater but he does not care; because he was a King, “I am a King and so this Country was mine included a wife of my soldier.”

Where is Gajah Mada now? He was busy to chase the rebel away. He was a soldier that has full responsibility with his Kingdom and his King.

“The soldiers of Majapahit had run away; they were coward or may be they were not loyal again with their Kingdom; now I am just alone to fight against the rebels.
How did people of Majapahit react with fate of their Kingdom and their King?
They seem did not care with his Kingdom.

Nevertheless, who says? I did not suppose that mater, might be they were just waiting time of opportunity; therefore, I want to ask them directly.” Gajah Mada mused.

Gajah Mada went to a village. He did not wear his soldier custom; he pretended being a common people. He stroke the bamboo to warned the people that the Country was in danger; he shouted, “Hi friends, wake up, gather here; our Kingdom would collapse; wake up, wake up. Hi young people common being soldiers to provide your Country; common chase the rebels away.”

Little by little, the people gathered at the field and finally, they became a mob.

“Hi friends, you must know that the rebels had occupied Palace and even they had detained our King; then what do you want to? What can we do?”

“We must fight the rebels now!” The people shouted together.

“I agreed with you, but the responsibility was on Army, not us. Where was our Army now?” An old man asked.

“I did not know where they are. If they did not show up then we would have to fight and find our King by our self. The people power would become more powerful than that the Army, remember that think.” Gajah answered the question.

“Yes we agreed with you; now common we have to build Army.” A younger gave his opine.

Afterward, many young men gather and then they built line ready to march to the Palace.

Gajah Mada satisfied. The people still loved their King. The new Army moved in line to the Palace. They were ready to combat the rebels.
Gajah saw some youth join the line with their full of weapon; seem they were really soldiers who had desertion, but now they came and join again.

Now the mob became bigger since many young men join. Gajah Mada said to the people that people have to destroyed rebels, “We had to give hard punishment to Semi and Kuti, hanging until death. How Semi and Kuti could act as rebel? What was their reason? This Country have rule that must be followed; now, common fight, save your Country!”

“Yes it was right; give death sentence to Semi and Kuti; no excuse!”

“Oh Goddess, I want to say thank you for your blessing. I can prove that people of Majapahit still have their loyalty to their Kingdom.” Gajah Mada thought.

Surprised, a real group of Army had joined the line, “Hi, where have you been up until now? Did you do desertion? Gajah asked that group.

“We have to, other wise we could lose and to be killed; but now we come back again to provide Majapahit.”

“OK, I could understand your difficulty; common join the line and ready to combat the rebels.”


Chapter 2

Gajah Mada confessed to the people that he was a real soldier with his rank as penyatus. And then he wearied his soldier custom as usual. Now he has to manage his new Army since many young men were new soldiers. He gave weapon to the new soldiers and course how to fight and how to kill. And also course of how using every weapon for fighting.

He still kept the secret concerning fate of the King; he said that the rebels still had been detaining the King in the Palace.

Surprising, the Army became bigger than before; now the amount was more than four thousand persons. That amount supposed enough could win the war since the rebels was just two thousand.

Now the majority of the mob had agreement to elect Gajah Mada as their leader, “He was an appropriate person to lead us in this battle.”

“Gajah Mada was our commandant at war. Gajah, your command would be waited.”

“Thank you for your trust on me; now we would have a meeting to discuss the strategy to win the attack. Will you?”

“Yes we will; we are ready to combat.” Then they have their first war meeting in the jungle. Afterward, they have their strategy to launch attack straight to the Palace.

The attack had launched in the mid night, straight to the Palace, silently. They used ladders to climb the Palace wall. The first man had killed the rebel guard that guarding the night. Their friends followed without resisted. The other opened the gate.

Finally, Gajah’s Army flowed into the Palace at sudden; that made the rebels woke up surprised when they had been dreaming. The rebels were late to prepare the fighting.

Afterward, the rebels surrendered and their leaders captured easily.

The Majapahit soldiers looked for their King. They searched every room but they had nothing.

“Hi Kuti, where is our King? You did hide our King, where is he?”

“No I did not.”

“You are lying.” Punch and kick had come to the rebel’s head.

Somebody unsheathed his blade (keris), touched that thing in his neck, “I knew you had killed him; now your turn; I want to kill you.”

“Stop it; the King saved in my home.” Gajah Mada said.

“Viva Gajah; viva Gajah viva Gajah; hurray, hurray,” The soldiers were happy.

“Will you show me the King to us?”

“Yes I will but we have to make the Palace tidy before the King would come.”

The people and soldiers worked hand in hand to make the Palace became tidy and beautiful as usual. Many victims of dead bodies at the palace carried away and buried.

Gajah Mada went home, rode his horse, to pick the King up. He had taken one and a half Month of a long time leaving his home; therefore, he longing his beloved wife.

Afterward, Gajah came in front his house; the house always locked, that was his ordered.

“Maya, Maya, open the door please.”

A woman opened the door; she hugged her husband but many tears dropped from her eyes.

“Why did you cry? Listen to me, I have a big success to win the war; the enemies were surrender and their leaders captured. You should be happy Maya.”

Maya held Gajah’s hand, guided him in a room because she want to talk secretly.

“Yes I knew that I should be happy, but not. I have spot of dirt in my body; then I became rubbish in front of you.”

“What you mean by your word? Is there something wrong?”

“The King had raped on me.”

“What? How dare you King. The first step, I want to kill you.” Gajah Mada unsheathed his keris, went to King’s room.

“Please, do not; not now. Gajah, please be calmed, we have to discuss and make strategy as you always done before the war had begun.”

“Is that a war? This is conflict between King and I. I loved my Country and I do not want to be rebel but I hate my own King.”

“Of course yes, because he was a King, remember. If you had killed that man then you would have faced his people. That was the same a war of rebellion as Semi and Kuti had done.”

“Did you agree for killing the King?”

“Even I ask you to kill that man; I hate him very much.”

“Am I a rebel as same as Semi and Kuti had done? No, I loved my Country.”

Gajah felt depression and disappointed; how a Noble man that he does appreciate could rape his beloved wife. It was a nightmare for him.

Finally, Gajah said, “Yes we must set a strategy to kill him. We must show to the King and to the Majapahit people that we are the loyalist of Majapahit Kingdom.
OH. Goddess, please give us the way of your solution. I knew that you knew our problem and I knew you are wise to judge our problem.”

Maya hugged his husband, “Thank you darling, now I am relief.
However, are you angry to me?”

“I hate my self; that was my fault; I should ask a servant to serve the King, not you.”

“You were right, not wrong. You were a brave soldier who wants to save your beloved King. I realized that you want to serve your King as good as the best manner.
Did you still love me?”

“I loved you very much Maya. I am sorry; I confessed that was my fault to make you alone with a stranger in this house. I am sorry, again I want to say, I am sorry.”

“Gajah, remember that was a war time that every body could be killed by enemy. Did you realize that I am the one of the war victim?”

“Are you kidding? Even though it was look like a joke but it was true and I am hurt.
Now I have my anger subsided; let us meet the King and then I would bring him to his Palace immediately.”

The King slept when Gajah and Maya were coming into his room.

“Wake up King, wake up, wake up!” Gajah had woken up his King. Now he did not have appreciated feeling to his King and even he hate.

“What happened? Where are the rebels now?”

“Everything was all right; the rebels were surrendered and the leader of the rebels had been captured. Then you could go home to your Palace; you will find the Palace was clean and tidy.”

“Thank you Gajah, so let us go.”

Gajah and the King rode a horse to Trowulan Palace. Every people saluted to the King, as a clue of loyalty to the Kingdom.

The mob of people and soldiers had been waiting at front gate of Palace. They want to prove that the King still alive. Not so long, the two men came, neared the gate, in front of them.

“Viva Gajah, Viva King, Viva Gajah, Viva King, hurray, hurray, hurray.”

Gajah was touch in deep of his heart, “How people loved me and the King. However, I am just penyatus, not a Patih; I am just lucky to win this war.”

The King satisfied, went to his Palace, spoke to his people, “Thank you very much that you had fought against Kingdom’s enemies. We win and the enemies defeated. I knew that you are the loyalist of Kingdom. Again I want to say thank you.”

One of the people shouted, “You should say thank you to Gajah, not to us.
Gajah Mada, was our Commandant; he was our leader in this war.”

The King steal a glance at Gajah, “Yes I want to say thank you to you too Gajah.
Hi people of Majapahit, even I want to elect Gajah Mada as our Patih.
Do you agree?”

“We are agreed with you King. No mater what was his ranking now, he was appropriate to be Patih since he successfully organized common people being good soldiers. (Patih = General of Army).”

“OK then I will do my decision.
Gajah, would you speak to people?”

“Thank you You’re Majesty. Hi people of Majapahit, thank you very much that you had trusted on me to manage the Army of Majapahit. Believe me that I would guard this Country as hard as I could.

“Viva Gajah, Viva Gajah, Viva King, Viva King. Hurray, hurray.”

The King went into Palace for going rest.

Gajah Mada went home too.
He longing his wife very much, “How pity my wife was; it was my fault. However, The King was so nice that he had elected me as Patih informally”

He saw his wife standing in front the gate; she was lovely; that was the reason why the King becomes crazy on her.

He hugged her, held her hand, and went into their house.

“How was the King?”

“He was alright. Surprising that he had elected me as Patih, wow wonderful.”

“Why did he become so nice to you? Was that because he had sin on us? And then he had been frightening of you even though you did not show your anger.”

Gajah Mada kept silent. He mused to choose the right answer for his beloved wife.
Afterward he said, “May be yes, but may be no. The people proposed to the King directly that I was appropriate to manage Majapahit Army as Patih. The King agreed with people. Therefore, the people had elected me not their King; finally, the King had agreed with the people and he chose me as Patih informally.
However, concerning his fault to us seems to me that he tried to forget it as if the mater was usual for a King that could do everything to his people.”

“Bastard you King; I hate you!”

“Please be calm Maya; I knew that you hurt the same as I hurt.”

“Gajah, let us wait the time of opportunity to revenge. Goddess did not sleep; he was wise and good judgment to us.”

“Yes I agreed with you darling.”


Chapter 3

After two weeks, the King called on Gajah to Trowulan Palace. The King inaugurated Gajah to be Patih of Majapahit Kingdom. The ceremony took place in the Palace. The King decision was right since Gajah could save the Kingdom and also his soul.

King Jayanegara was son of Raden Wijaya Kertarajasa with Dara Petak.
Meanwhile, King Kertarajasa did not have son with the others of wives but daughters. The exception was Tribuanatunggadewi that she has a son, but just a little boy.
Gayatri the youngest of Four Sisters have any son or daughter.

That was why Jayanegara was crowned to be a King.

The King was eager with many women and even he had fallen in love with his own sister from other mother. No body could stop his love even though it was forbidden by Hindu religious rule.

And then finally, The King married his own sister. It was sin. The King had made the Royal Family feel shameful. Everybody was sad, included Gayatri.

One day, Gayatri called on Gajah Mada to Trowulan Palace.
They discussed the situation in the Palace especially the King’s love affair. Gayatri wants to ask help Gajah for giving punishment to the nephew.

“Gajah, would you check the surrounding room please whether somebody had been spying on us. We want to talk secretly.”

Afterward, they discussed concerning the awkward behavior of their King, “What do you think Gajah? Did you agree with our King by marrying his own sister?”

“Of course I disagreed with him since the mater against the law. So what would you do?”

“I want to ask you to discard him immediately. What ever your manner I would agree with you.”

“What do you mean by the word discard, to kill him?”

“Yes of course.”

Gajah kept silent for a moment; he afraid to kill a King. He remembered his wife had warned him not to kill the King because the King has follower.
“If you had killed the King then you would have declared yourself as rebel.”

Finally, Gajah answered, “We must wait a moment of opportunity. This assassination should be a secret mission that nobody would have known forever who the killer is.
We hope the time of opportunity would come soon. So be patient Madam.”

“I agreed with you. I hope I could wait just in a short time. Thank you Gajah.”

Gajah met his wife. Gajah did not tell her concerning the Gayatri’s order.

Maya enthusiastic with news concerning King’s married with his own sister, “Goddess had heard our praying that now the King really got trouble by marrying his own sister; he did not realize that what he had done was dangerous for him self.
Someday the bastard King would die by a secret assassination, believe me.”

King Jayanegara was happy with his wife. Seems he does not care with disagreement from the Royal Family concerning his married.

Unfortunately, the King has another willing with other woman; that was Maya, Gajah’s wife. He was longing Maya very much. Suddenly, he instructed his guards to bring Maya to Palace as soon as possible.

“You’re Majesty; you have to write a letter to Patih Gajah, because Maya was Gajah’s wife.”

“OK I will write a letter to Gajah.”
Then King wrote, “Gajah, I would like to call Maya for she could visit Palace. I have a little souvenir for her remembering that she ever had served on me. Thank you.”

The guards came to Gajah home and gave the letter to Patih Gajah. Gajah was sad and got anger to the King but he could not be able to reveal his anger, more even to King’s guard. “Was not there other woman in this World except of Maya? Oh Goddess I ask you permit to discard that bad King but I do not want to be rebel.”

Maya cried with many tears dropped from her eyes, “Oh Goddess, please help me. I knew you are the best judge in this case; please help me.” She hugged Gajah as clue of forgiveness.

“You are not wrong but it was fait of you. Remember Goddess never sleep, he already knew the un-equitable acted upon us. He will come to do justice on us since human justice not working. Now you can go even though I have a heavy heart to release you.”

The King’s guards went off along with Maya. Meanwhile, Gajah was watching his wife until she had disappeared. How did Gajah feel? Of course he was sadness and angry.

The Palace activity had been running as usual even though every staff of the Palace knew that the King had brought Gajah’s wife to his room.
The King though that the mater was right since a King has large authority, but he was really wrong.
He though that the Majapahit Kingdom was his mine, included Maya; but he was wrong actually.

The Maya visit was repeated since the King asked again and again, even insisted. Gajah could not be able to refuse his King asking. However, Gajah’s anger had become furious or very angry.


Chapter 4

The King was sick; he suffered pain over his left leg. That because tumor grew on his left leg. The tumor was growing little by little continuously.

Many shamans and traditional healing invited to cure the King, but they failed.
The King asked the best shaman to cure his disease. Therefore, the secretary had announced to large people that the King was sick and need help. Who could cure the King then The Kingdom would pay good wedges for him. The announcement spread to every place in Kingdom territory.

That was an opportunity to kill the King. Gayatri invited Gajah to discuss the last situation in the Palace. Then the secret meeting between the two persons was running.

“Gajah, we have a good opportunity to do your action. What do you think?”

“How did to do my action Madam?”

“Somebody could be asked to kill the King in his room. Was it right?”

“A shaman could be asked to kill the King, when he would have been curing the King.”

“Yes, that was what I mean. We would pay much money for him to do his journey to a site far away from here after he would has finished his job; hopefully he could escape safely after would have done his job.
Here is the money, please give it to the shaman.”

“It would be a good planning of us, everything was perfect. Then I would go off to do our plan.”

Gajah went home immediately, met his wife and told the planning to kill the King. Maya was surprised and also happy to have a friend from Royal Family that had the same idea.

A week had passed and then finally, Gajah found the right person as shaman. He was Tanca. Tanca came from a little village. He was not a famous shaman; no body in the Palace had ever known him.

Gajah invited Tanca to his home. Gajah made order to Tanca secretly, “Tanca, I would like to ask you to cure the King in the Palace.”

“I like it that was my job; I do appreciate.”

“Thank you, my order not to cure him but to kill him. Of course I would pay you a lot of money. Did you agree? Will you?”

Tanca kept silent. Seems he was not suppose would have an extraordinary order; he was surprising; he did not prepare to do the heavy order.

Afterward he asked, “Why our King must die? Did he do something wrong?”

“Yes, I hope you would provide on us in this mater. The King had raped my wife again and again in front of me. You should agree with me, how I hate the King very much.”

Gajah showed the money, five bags of gold coin money; that was a lot of money.

“Here is the money, take it!”

Tanca has gleaming face to see a lot of money. Then he moved his hand slowly, took the money and kept it in his pocket.

“Remember, after you would have finished your order then you had to go to a site far away from here; you would have disappeared. Bali, I suggest you to go there, if you agree.”

Then the two persons shook hands as clue of agreement.


Chapter 5

Tanca went to the Palace, met the Palace Secretary and applied his application to cure the King. The secretary had welcomed him politely. They though Tanca has professional signed in traditional heal. They have their hoping upon Tanca’s effort to cure their King.

Tanca came alone and without recommendation from any one else. He said that he already heard the King was sick and then he heard the secretary announcement. And then he wants to try to cure his beloved King.

“I want you to keep silent; do not disturb on me while I am curing; I do not want to be accompanied in the King’s room; I want to be alone in that room. Do you understand?”

The Palace staffs agreed with his condition. The guards would be out of the room guarding.

Tanca worked in the King’s room while King’s guard guarded out of the room. Tanca locked the door and the King was just with him in the room.
The King smiled to him as clue of welcoming and hoping. Tanca also smiled to the King.
Tanca unsheathed his keris (blade), rose that thing up and then mutter pray.

“What would you do with that thing?” the King asked.

“Ghost had occupied your body. I would chase the ghost away by this thing. So would you please open your chest since the ghost will go away from the chest?”

“Yes I will.” The King opened his clothes to show his chest.

Then Tanca stabbed his keris straight to his chest. He shut the King’s mouth with his hand immediately. The King shouted a little sound; ah ah ah.

Tanca was successes to do his order. He approached the window and went out of the King’s room into bush. He walked secretly as far as four hundred yard until he found a horse at edge of forest. The horse had been prepared by someone else. The he went away fast.

The guards had been waiting patiently as long as two hours, but the room kept silent.

“How was the King?”

“I do not know? But at early I heard the King cried, ah ah ah, may be the shaman had cut the King’s leg.”

“Let us go inside.”

They surprised to find the King had already death; a bleeding wounded on his chest still had been producing much blood. Then they had nothing to do to help the King.

“Catch Tanca the killer.” The guard gave command.

But Tanca had run away in the dark night.

No body could find him and then Gayatri and Gajah Mada could not be accused as killer suspect.

Maya relief that the annoyer had passed.

No comments: