Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Creator of Majapahit Kingdom, part 3

The Creator of Majapahit Kingdom
Part 3
Retold by Satoto Kusasi

Chapter 1


“I am sorry, I just coming by accident. However, I want to know your partner is.”

"Wijaya, here is my brother in law, name Ardharaja; He married with my sister, Dyah Pawitradewi. He is the son of Jayakatwang.”

Both young men shook hands. Wijaya said, “I am Raden Wijaya, grandson of Mahisa Cempaka.”

Ardharaja is a nice man and friendly; Therefore the two young men can make share in discussion; Even they talked so much that Gayatri just heard, never include in their discussion. Finally, Gayatri got anger, “Hi Ardharaja, go away, you are
Outsider in our discussion; you have no invitation in our discussion.”

“OK I will go; I have my duty to assess every man that would be your partner. My opinion concerning Raden Wijaya is ....(he just show his thumb top, that’s mean first rate in quality).” Afterward, he goes.

“So...my lover Raden Wijaya; What page that we have in our discussion is, since I forgot it.” Gayatri said

“We have on page...that we have declared, both of us are lover. Shall we? Do you agree?” Raden Wijaya asked.

“Should we make assessment about it? In my opine, not necessary, since you are perfect for me.”

“So I did.” Once more they hugged and kissed.

Finally, Raden Wijaya asked permit to go home.

“Until then..bye, bye. Don’t forget to come again.” Gayatri said.





Chapter 2



Raden Wijaya told his mother about his new lover, “Mom, I have met a girl that she is a daughter of King actualy; Her name is Gayatri. She has revealed her love to me.”

Raden Wijaya is openness of mind, but it just in front of his own mother, because of he is one and only son.

“So, what do you think?” His mother asked

“It’s great! Could you figureout Mom,....that I will be son inlaw of a King; Even the famous King in Nusantara.”

Dyah mused, “He just saying that he don’t want to be a King in Galuh Kingdom but he wants to be a King in Singosari Kingdom; Seems to me Goddess agreed with he said, and might be always agreed what ever he say.”

“Son, don’t you ever say a bad thing, but say always the good one; Remember my word.”

“Why? What do you mean?”

“Do you remember when you say that you want to be a King in Singosari Kingdom?; Then I answered, C’mon son, don’t be dreaming. Seems to me that every word of yours always heard by Goddess; Then it will be come true.”

“Yes I do; It was a strange experiance.
However, do you agree with my new girl, Mom?”

“Yes I agreed; Even God agreed with you and so I did.”

“C’mon Mom; Please don’t praise me like that; God just have given luck to me now, but I don’t know for the next of time.”

“Son, you forgot my word, don’t say bad thing; Please say always the good one.”

“I am sorry Mom, I forgot it.
OK for the next time God will give me others luck.”

“Yes you right now.”

Dyah LembuTal approached her son, hugged and kissed on his cheek, “I have to comment for your fate that you have been pushed into political affair now by being son inlaw of a King. You can’t keep silent and just watching every political affair that might be hit upon your King, but you must involve to provide that King.
Now I want to ask you, are you ready?”

Raden Wijaya astonished hearing his mother’s comment. He never think about consequences to be a son inlaw of a King as his mother saying.

His mother continued her comment, “If you feel uncertain, then you can go off, release Gayatri. Then you can follow your Grandpa fate for being a Merchant. Your Grandpa is a merchant. His function as a Prime Ministry just a second job because of King has asked him.

However, every Citizen of Singosari must provide his Country and his King; That’s mandatory duty.”

“So what can I do now? Will you give me advice on this mater?”

“If I were you, I will follow my fate; Go on, don’t be hesitate!.
Remember your experiance that your word always heard by Goddess, therefore say always the good one. Believe in God that you actually have been sent to Earth by God to change the World.”

“OK Mom, I loved you Mom. I am happy now.”

Chapter 3Raden Wijaya always come to the Palace, straight into


Kaputren building to meet his lover, Gayatri; Therefore, every Palace staff has known him and please him.

However, the Kaputren is a full house. There are sisters of Gayatri that want to join with Raden Wijaya for discussion; Therefore no privacy for the couple to raise their love. Raden Wijaya have no opportunity for going out with Gayatri. They always gathering to discuss concerning political situation in the Kingdom.

Gayatri has no objection about that; She welcome her sisters and even she welcome the naughty brother inlaw,Ardharaja.

“Wijaya, I want to introduce my sisters, here Tribuwaneswari, my eldest sister; Narendraduhita, my second sisters; Jayendradewi my third sister
We are the four sisters of King Kertanegara.”

“May I join you?” A young man shouted from distance; He is Ardharaja.

“You welcome brother.” Gayatri said.

Every night, those young men and women gathering to discuss problem of everything, included the political situation, especially the threatened of Jayakatwang rebellion.

The King has known their activity and even support them. More even he agreed with Gayatri who has chose her partner, Raden Wijaya.

In one occasion, Raden Wijaya asked Ardharaja, “How your father is? Is he alright? Please send my regard to him!”
Raden Wijaya knew that his father, Jayakatwang is a chief of rebels.

“He is right; I can’t send your regard to him, since you knew that he has proclaimed himself as rebel.” Ardharaja said.

"Will you provide your father or your father inlaw?”

Ardharaja keep silent for a moment; He choose the right word to answer. Finally he said, “I would rather help my father inlaw than my father, but custom saying that a son must support his father.”

“I can understand how problem confront against you by political situation like that.
If you didn’t decide about that then you will have worst problem; Every body could say that you are spying for your father.” Raden Wijaya said.

“What can I do now? Will you give your advice to me my friend?” Ardharaja asked.

“You have to face The King and explain to him that you will provide him. You have your loyalty to him.
However, if you want to provide your father then you could run away from this Palace secretly, leave behind your family then you will struggle hand in hand with your father against the King. The choice is yours; Think about it.”

Ardharaja keep silent; He muse, “Now I realized that It’s not an easy problem.
In this mater, I blame my father, how he have ambition wants to be a King; He was wrong; He has a wrong way for reaching happiness.
I loved my family and I like every person in this Palace; I couldn’t leave them all.
Therefore, I will face the King to reveal my loyalty.
Father, I am not suppose to betray you; I loved you father.”

Finally Ardharaja said, ”I will face my King and reveal my loyalty.”

“That’s good for you, thank you. Now, you have to face the King. Seems to me The King have suspicion on you.”

King Kertanegara has decided when Ardharaja came, “Now I elected you as our Commandant in war. Please don’t call him father but rebellion. I trust on you.”

Meanwhile the love affair between Gayatri and Wijaya became intensify; Every staff of the Palace have their positive gossip. That mater atracted the King for discussing; Shall the King accept Raden Wijaya as a son inlaw?

The King have problem that he only have four ladies as his daughters from Queen mother. In future, the four daughters would have their husband each. Their husband could declare him self as a valid King to replace the old King. Therefore, King Kertanegara have to devide his Kingdom into four part.

In one occasion, the King revealed the mater in parliament meeting. Any one agreed with the proposal of the Kingdom’s fraction into four part; It is an impossible thing.

One of members meeting propose to choose Raden Wijaya as the only son inlaw for all the ladies; That is mean Raden Wijaya have to marry all of the four daughters. It is an awkward proposal.

Asthonising, the King agreed with the awkward proposal and even all the members meeting agreed. The King said, “However, I have to ask my daughters whether they agree or disagree. I can’t push them, therefore it’s depend of them.”

Surprising, all the ladies also agreed; The reason is just for the shake of unbroken Kingdom.

Now, King Kertanegara relief, the problem has surpassed. The people realized that the next King would be Raden Wijaya. They have no objection since Raden is the ancestor of King Ken Arok.

The unique weeding party has performed in the Palace that four women as bride and one man as bridegroom. However the people could understand the reason why.


Chapter 4


The Kingdom of Singosari was so famous Country that King Kublai Khan not satisfied or jealous. Therefore the King wants to conquer Singosari. Kublai Khan sent a war ship to Tuban harbor with a personal Diplomatic, name MengQi who brought a letter from The King.(it happened in year of 1289).

The ship is big with Mongolian Flag wave on top;The ship embarked in Tuban Harbor. Meng Qi with ten soldiers of Mongol come out. A local Chinese man followed them as translator. They rode horses until reach Palace of Singosari.

A guard asked the translator, what they want to.
The guard surprise when he heard they want to meet the King, “If you want to meet the King then you have to follow procedure; Our King is a special man in Singosari.”

The translator told the Mongol soldier whether they should followed procedure when they want to meet The King.

The Mongol got anger then one of them slap the guard. He shouted with Chinese language. The translator explain the meaning, “Call your King, he wasn’t a special man, but our King, Great Kublai Khan is.”

The guard come into Palace and report directly to King Kertanegara, “You’re Majesty, a mob of Mongol men want to face you, now.”

“Why they didn’t follow the procedure.”

“I told them, but they got anger and they slap on me.”

“What? They really insulted on me. OK let them go inside.” The King whispered to one of his guard, seems there is something an instruction or command from The King..

Meng Qi and ten soldiers are going into; He really conceited; He have a low opinion to the King of Java.

Meng Qi hold a letter from King Kublai Khan; While the translator is standing in side. And the ten soldiers are standing at behind him.

The King seat on his throne calmly. He drag a keris (Java blade).

The translator oppened the ceremonial meeting, “You’re Majesty, we are Mongol delegation from China want to read a letter from our King, King Kublai Khan.”

Meng Qi read the letter immediatelly; He should wait for a moment to give time for the King Kertanegara to speak.

The translator said, “King Kertanegara, King of Java, We want your Country to be united with my Country, The Great Mongol. Then you have your duty to send tribute every year to our Capital City of Peking. You have your duty to come to us for showing your loyalty.
The Great King of Kublai Khan.

Meng Qi finished, fold the letter and put it into his pocket. He feel strange to see King Kertanegara didn’t react or speak.

Finally, the King turn down from his Throne, approach Meng Qi; He put his keris and cut Meng Qi’s ear. He throw away the cutting ear. He come back to his throne calmly.

Meng Qi shouted and cried of pain. His soldiers surprise and ready for combating
However, many arrows fly to them; Nine of them dead at sudden. Singosari soldiers run to seize the rest of soldier.

Actually some Singosari soldiers hid behind curtin who shot the enemies with arrows.

Meanwhile Meng Qi shouted continuously, no body understand what he saying. He also has been seized, tied his hand and brought to their ship. Just two persons live, the others were death already.

A guard asked the translator, “What he said is?”

“He warned us for Mongol revenge. The Mongol Army will come in huge strength for giving punishment to King Kertanegara then destroy Singosari Kingdom.”

“When?”

“He said at the end of this Month.”

“Too fast for coming; Please ask again!”

“He said at the end of this year.”

Meng Qi and one of his rest soldier guarded until reach his ship. Then the ship go off, back to China.


Chapter 5

Meanwhile Jayakatwang has shown his force by applied military training activity as have told by secret agent of Kingdom. Seems they seriously want to attack the Palace.

On the other hand. a secret agent of Jayakatwang has given explanation that time is suitable for attacking because of decreasing soldiers amount to guard The King. Many soldiers have been deployed abroad for performing Kingdom political expansion.

Arya Wiraraja also have a role within Jayakatwang rebellion; He gave many information to Jayakatwang concerning Singosari military activity in Capital City. Arya Wiraraja really betray to his Kingdom.

Finally, Arya Wiraraja gave suggestion to make military training at Northern of Palace as camouflage; Hoping Kingdom’s Army will go out from the Palace to combat enemies at northern. Hoping no more or just a little amount soldiers will leave in the Palace. The last scenario is Jayakatwang will hit straight into Palace easily.

An officer report to Commandant, “Enemies have been seen at North; They do exercise and seems want to attack us immediately.”
The news came to The King. Then The King has a wrong action, “I command you to attack the enemies. The Commandant are Ardharaja and Raden Wijaya.”

The two commandant led two thousand soldiers are going into forest at Northern. However, no enemies at there; The forest is clear, just rubish and dirt as clue that the place has ever occupied by many soldiers of enemies.

“Hi Ardharaja, your trap is successfull to hit us; Seems to me you are a betray soldier, are you?” Raden Wijaya asked.

“Please don’t accuse me, I am not a betray soldier; Please believe me.” Ardharaja said.

“I think you could mention to us, why the enemies has gone immediately. I didn’t believe on you, no more. Now you can go to your father.
For the shake of our friendship, I will not torture on you; You free to go!”

“Please believe me I am not.....” He turn down from his horse, approached Raden Wijaya and hugged him.

“Raden Wijaya my friend, I will pay this bad event by something helpful from me; Take my word. I am your friend and I can be trusted. ”

He ride his horse; stop for a while and wave his hand to Raden Wijaya.

A soldier run to report Raden Wijaya, “Master, the Palace has been burnt by enemies. Many victims of us fell down to death.”

“Hi soldiers come back to Palace now!” Raden gave command.

The soldiers came back to the Palace.

The Palace be protected by just five hundred soldiers amount, while enemies has come to attack with five thousand amout of soldiers; So it’s unballance of amount.

The Chief of soldiers are, Ronggolawe, Sora and Nambi. Now they are running away through a secret tunnel under ground along with Prameswari, Narendraduhita, Jayendra dewi and Gayatri as well as the dead body of King Kertanegara. Also few soldiers accompany them.

Raden Wijaya is searching the Palace that has been burning at right wing, the flame still continuing spread to left wing.
While mother army of enemies will come soon.
The circumstances was already chaos.

A soldier came and report, “Sir, The King has already death, stab by arrow on to his chest. Your family as well as the King corpse have been brought through the secret tunnel by our armies. Let us go via the secret tunnel, before the enemies has come.”

Raden Wijaya along with his soldiers go into tunnel; He was happy by meeting his wifes and sadness by seeing the corpse of King Kertanegara.

The estuary of tunnel is forestry, well for hiding. Now Raden feel relief for a moment; Seems the enemies didn’t know the secret tunnel.

“All of you must stay in this forest; any one can go; Otherwise the enemies will know our site. Ronggolawe, did you bring foodstuff for our logistics.”

“Yes I did, but just only for two days.”

Nambi face Raden Wijaya, “Master, I want to give you suggestion. Let us go to Madura Island.”

“What you say? Madura Island has occupied by Arya Wiraraja, the man who help Jayakatwang the rebel. He is our enemy. Don’t go to that Island.”

“Arya Wiraraja is my father.”

“What? Are you spy?”

“No I am not; I am loyalist of King Kertanegara, believe me.”

“OK I believe on you. Then what your planning is?”

“We will be save for a moment, if we can stay at Madura. We can make peace with my father and I believe he will help us. You must remember that he was previous King’s advicer when the King is King Ranggawuni Wisnuwardhana. He was a loyalist Singosari Kingdom, even though he hate King Kertanegara.”

“So what will you do next?”

“I will sail to Madura Island, meet my father and tell him about you. You are just son inlaw of the King that he hate; By then he never know you.
I hope he will welcome us.”

“Thank you Nambi, I do appreciate on you, now you can go.”

Nambi along with two soldiers sail with boat to Madura Island.

Arya Wiraraja is regent of Sumenep in Madura Island. He has a big house, that Raden Wijaya and his family could stay.

Nambi face his father, “Father, I come to you, hoping you in healthy condition.”

“Thank you son! You too, even though the rebels has burnt the Palace of yours.”

“It is your own Palace too father, our Palace; The Palace of all the people.”

“Yes I knew, I said it because of you are a soldier. So what fate upon our King?”

“He already death; Now the rebels is the winner.
Therefore, I come to you on behalf of Kingdom for asking you to help the King’s family. The King’s family which still alive is Raden Wijaya as son inlaw with the four sisters of King as Raden’s wifes. Please father, help them! I asked you from deep of my heart.”

‘My heart has been touch by you; You looks like an ambassador of a big Country Nation, when you say that you ask me on behalf of Kingdom.”

“Am I? Is Singosari Kingdom a big Country Nation?”

“Absolutely yes, even King Kublai Khan confessed about it then he sent Meng Qi to face our King. I want to say that the Singosari Kingdom didn’t ruin even though the King was death already; Because their Army that has been deployed at their colonies at Nusantara, are still at there. They are powerful Army.
So what can I do now, I will help with all my heart.”

“You hate King Kertanegara, I knew that. However, I want to ask you, do you also hate his son inlaw, Raden Wijaya?”

“No I don.t; Even I have never known him, just ever heard him. So what?”

“I want you to help Raden Wijaya and establish Singosari Kingdom.”

“Certainly! With pleasure I will help him and put the Throne for him.”

“Thank you father. Just God will pay you back.”

“So where is he now?”

“He is still hiding in a secret place. I will bring him to you because Madura is a safe place for him.”

“I am waiting and prepared for his staying.”

Two days later on, Raden Wijaya came along with his wifes as well as his followers.

Raden Wijaya approached Arya Wiraraja, seat in front cross legged and said, “ I am Raden Wijaya, son in law of King Kertanegara greeting you.”

“Hi wait a minute! You are a King, not me; It’s wrong, up side down.”

“I am just his son inlaw, I am not a King.”

“Yes you are, later on you will be a King. Believe me that I will help you with all my effort.”

Raden Wijaya muse, he remember what his mother has ever said, “Don’t you ever say a bad thing, because Goddess will agree what ever you say.”

“Yes I am a King and you are my uncle, uncle Arya Wiraraja.”

“That’s right. Now you can stay in my home for a while until the rebels go away.”

“Uncle your attitude make me confuse. Seems to me that you provide us not the rebels; Is it right?”

“Yes you right.”

“Why?”

“I am loyalist of Kingdom, but I hate King Kertanegara. After he death already, I will be back to your Palace and help you.”

“Uncle, can I hug you?...............Oh God thank you that you have sent the right person as Arya Wiraraja to help me; He is the real uncle of mine.” Raden Wijaya hugged him and tears dropp.

To be continued

No comments: