Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Creator of Majapahit Kingdom, part 4

The Creator of Majapajit Kingdom
Part 4
Retold by Satoto Kusasi


Chapter 1

Raden Wijaya and his family as well as his soldiers and followers stayed in Madura, the safe places. Arya Wiraraja welcome the son in law of the King that he hate.

In one occasion Arya Wiraraja discussed with Raden about the fate of Singosari Kingdom, “Raden, actually, you are the man in Singosari who have to be responsible to establish Singosari Kingdom, because of you the son in law of the King.’

“Really? What can I do uncle? I have no idea to start this big job; Seems to me that I am just a weak man in Singosari.”

“No, you are a strong man among so many weak men in Singosari; And you are chosen by God to lead this struggle, believe me.”

Raden Wijaya keep silent for a moment; again he remembered the order of his mother, don’t say bad thing since God will be agreed with every word of yours.

Finally he said, “Yes uncle, I am a strong man in Singosari and I can do this big job. So, will you give me some advice to start this job.”

“First, you must have a piece of land to build a little Palace, barack for your soldiers and plantation for your foodstuff.
I suggest you to ask Jayakatwang for the land.”

“Jayakatwang...? Wow ....he was our enemy, so how come ?”

“Jayakatwang just know Kertanegara as his enemy, not you. Even he has never known you. Therefore, you never involve in his rebellion.
Do you understand?”

“Yes I understood. Jayakatwang has never known me; However his son, name Ardharaja is my friend.”


“Yes, Even that is the good point of you. You can use him as bridge to come to Jayakatwang.”

“How make him as a bridge, for me to reach Jayakatwang.”

“I have known Ardharaja very well. I will write a letter to him, telling him what we want to. And I also will write the same letter to Jayakatwang. The letter will send by my guard. We just pray to God to make clear the road to happiness at the end.”

“Thank you uncle.”

The guard rode a horse to Kediri City brought two letters. The Palace of Jayakatwang at Kediri is an old building. It have ever been used by King Kertajaya.
Jayakatwang actually wants to occupy the Palace of Singosari but it has been burnt by his soldiers.

Two days later on the guard come back to Madura. The reply letter saying that Jayakatwang is OK,; It is a short reply letter.

“Raden now you can go to Kediri for asking that land; The answer letter of Jayakatwang is Ok.”

Raden Wijaya feel uncertain; How come he could face a bad enemy, chief of rebels? He keep silent and pray to God. His wifes come approach and hug him one by one.

Prameswari said, “You are a King that responsble to establish the broken Kingdom; For the shake of Singosari Kingdom you could come to enemy and you will be safe because of God help you.”

“Thank you; Believe me I will come home in safe condition because of God help me; Good bye every body.”

He rode the horse, accompanied by two Singosari soldiers. He use a boat to cross the sea and then rode horses to Kediri City, reached the Kediri Palace.

His walking unsteady, feeling unsafe and a little bit worry, however he remembered the order of his mother, don’t think a bad condition, but think a good one.

“I believe Jayakatwang will receive me with polite manner.” He thought.




He walks slowly into the Palace, Palace of his enemy. He saw his friend Ardharaja while he is whispering in his father’s ear.

Raden wave hand to his friend; Just wave no talk because of jeopardy situation.

Now, he approach the Throne in squat position as clue of high appreciation to the King, King Jayakatwang. He seat with cross legged position in front the Throne and said, “I am Raden Wijaya give Greeting to the Great King; I am son in law of a pity King, King Kertanegara.”

“How brave you are; I should kill you because you are the son in law of my enemy.”

“We realized that We are the loser and you are the winner; By then we surrender and asked apology to you.”

“I like your act that you have good approach to face me.
Are you Ardharaja’s friend?”

“Yes I am.”

“That’s good for you. Do you want to be my people?”

“Yes I do

“A man like you should be a soldier of mine; Do you want to be a soldier that loyal to his King, King Jayakatwang.”

“Yes I do.”

“However, I didn’t see you when we attacked Singosari Palace.
Where have you been at that moment?”

“I was at home, since I am not a soldier.
Even I become son in law of King just by accident.”

“So what your purpose is ?”

“We are the pity family that all of our belonging has been burnt; Then we haven’t home. We want to ask you a piece of land that we could build a house for us to take shelter.”

“A piece of land.......” The King whispered to someone at beside; Seems he is a Ministry. The man also talk in soft voice for answering.

After a while, The King said, “We have a land of dense forest; The name of that area is ‘Tarik’ I give it to you. But you must loyal to your King, King Jayakatwang.”

“Yes I will; Thank you very much my Great King.”

Raden retreat still in squat position until he reach the door.

While Ardharaja watch his friend. Raden Wijaya also saw his friend; Raden smile but no word for his friend and so Ardharaja did.

“That is your promise that you have said with term “Helpful” Now I have received your help my friend, thank you.
I knew now that your step is on your father; So we have been in the differend side.” Raden thought.

Raden ride his horse and come back to Madura immediately.

Arya Wiraraja has been waiting at his home for a long time worrying; Finally Raden appears along with two soldiers. Raden report that his mission was successfull.

Arya gave comment to Raden, “Raden, you are a real Diplomat. I think that mission was something difficult to do. I believe now that you have capability for lobbying; Congratulate to you.”

The four sisters come, hug and kiss with Raden Wijaya, one by one. All of them are crying because of happiness

“Uncle,without your letter, the mission would be fail. Seems to me,Ardharaja also help me, even though he didn’t reveal it in a spoken.”

“Now the next step is build a house on that land for your family. I will send many workers of Madura men to help you.”

Therefore, Raden Wijaya along with his family as well as his followers moved to Java, at Tarik land. They work hard to clear the forest.

One of the Madura men asked Raden, “Maja fruit in this place is bitter; As I know the fruit is sweet and delicious. What do you think Master ?.”

“I don’t know! But, may be the differend places, has differend soil too; Then it could produce the differend taste.
Any way, I have my idea to change the name of this area.
I propose name of ‘Majapahit’. From now on, don’t call it ‘Tarik’, but ‘Majapahit’.”
(Bitter = pahit; Maja = name of fruit, Maja fruit)

The site of Majapahit up until now is Mojokerto City, at East Java. The local inhabitant had called Mojokerto for their City which means The city of Majapahit.
Mojo = Majapahit and Kerto = Kota or City. Therefore, Mojokerto is means Majapahit City.

Every body agreed with the new name of ‘Majapahit’; They were happy.




Chapter 2



At year 1293, a bad moment has come, The Mongol invasion came to do punishment to Java King, King Kertanegara. There were many war ships embarked at Tuban Harbor. A huge Army of Mongol that Java people call it “Tartar soldiers”

The Commandant in charge of Mongol is Yeh Luchi along with his deputy Ike Mase. They erected their tent at edge of Tuban Harbor; So many tents at there. They just want to do punishment to King Kertanegara. They also want to destroy Singosari Kingdom.

Yeh Luchi make urgent meeting for answering the question who want to be punished since they heard that The King has already death.

The translator of a local chinese man mention, “King Kertanegara has been killed by rebels; The chief of rebels name, Jayakatwang has proclaimed him self as a King.

While Royal Family of King Kertanegara still alive; They are, Raden Wijaya as son in law; And the four sister of King’s daughter as wifes of Raden Wijaya.”

“Therefore, our job is already finished, we can go home now.” Yeh Luchi said.

Every body surprise. Ike Mase said, “Master, we should have tribute from the new King, Jayakatwang and his declaration of surrender to the Great Mongol
That’s important thing as clue that we have done our duty.”

“Do you know where his Palace is?” Yeh Luchi asked.

“The site of his Palace is at Kediri City, far away from here.” The translator mention

Every member meeting keep silent; Seems they became confusing because of their target is unclear. After King Kertanegara who will be the second target? That is the problem of them.

The translator gave suggestion, “Raden Wijaya will be the second target of you, because he actually the valid King, not Jayakatwang. I suggest you to call on Raden Wijaya. Even you right to give him punishment.”

“I agreed with you; Call Raden Wijaya to replace his father in law.” Yeh Luchi said and gave command.

Meanwhile, inhabitant of Tuban City run away into deep Country. Jayakatwang prepared his Army too.

Every body in Singosari frightened, included Raden Wijaya. Raden Wijaya come back again to Madura Island along with his wifes for asking advice with his uncle, Arya Wiraraja.

“Uncle, the Mongol Army has come; So what can I do ?”

“In this mater you are not a King, but Jayakatwang. The King who should have responsible was already death. Therefore the new King, Jayakatwang is the man must be blamed.

You could face the Mongol chief of Army to mention him the new situation.
I knew you; You are a capable in this mater that you can infuence that Mongol man.

I have my conclusion that the Mongol actually want to have tribute; That is Gold and Jewelry. They would become calm and nice attitude if you gave them those thing.

Do you have gold and jewelry ?” Arya Wiraraja asked.

Raden Wijaya approached Prameswari, hold her hand and guide her to a place.
He whispered, “I knew your father have save his valuable belonging because he was wealthy man. Please give us as your donation to our struggling.”

“Yes we have those thing; Let us look for it in the ruin Palace. I have ever known father have save it in somewhere in the Palace.” Prameswari answered.

“OK then I want to tell Uncle that we have it.”

Both back to Arya Wiraraja and said, “Yes we have; But we need time for getting it.”

Therefore, Raden Wijaya and family back again then going straight to Singosari Palace that have already ruin.

Prameswari hold a piece of paper, read the map on that paper and pointed to some where, “I think you can dig on this place.”

Some workers dig a hole on the floor of a ruin room. After work three hours they have good result; There are five boxes of Gold and Jewelry. King Kertanegara is a rich King really.. Then every body cheer up, hurray.

Raden Wijaya decided that four boxes will save and one box will give to the Mongol.

Arya Wiraraja crossed the sea from Madura Island to meet Raden Wijaya before he depart to Mongol’s HQ (Head Quarter) at Tuban Harbor.

Unexpectedly, a Mongol officer along with the Chinese translator came to meet Raden Wijaya at Majapahit land. The Mongol say something that everybody didn’t understand.

The Chinese said for translating, “We invite Raden Wijaya to come to our HQ at Tuban Harbor, as substitute of King Kertanegara.

“Yes I will come to your HQ.” Raden Wijaya said.

After the Mongol go, the four sisters cry, as if Raden Wijaya would be punished dead penalty. Raden try to comfort his wifes, “Believe me I will OK then I will come home to meet you all. I have my capability to influence enemy; That is my uncle saying. Now I will try my capability to lobby a chief Army of Mongol. God will help me.”

Arya Wiraraja has come and heard Raden’s talking; He gave comment, “I believe he will surpass the second examination because he has capability to do lobby.”

The wifes hug and kiss one by one.

Raden Wijaya along with his mob go off. Four men carried a heavy box that full with beautiful jewelry and gold ingot.

They have reached in front HQ and stopped by a Mongol guard; No body knows what’s he said. A Chinese translator run approached Raden Wijaya, squat position, his palm united and then said, “You’re Majesty, you have been waiting by Yeh Luchi the High Commandant Army of Mongol.”

“Thank you”

The mob are going into and face Yeh Luchi. Raden Wijaya don’t want to be polite with this enemy. He change his strategy to face the Mongol man; This man isn’t Javanese likes Jayakatwang.

“Hi Yeh Luchi, I brought beautiful jewelry and gold for you, just for you.”
He gave sign to the worker to open the box infront Yeh Luchi.

The translator translate what Raden has said.

Yeh Luchi amazed...His eyes protrude as clue.

“Wow thank you very much.
I should kill you because you are the second target who will be receiving our punishment.”

“OK, Then you can kill me but you will never receive my compliment.” He gave sign to the workers for closing the box and take it away.

“No, give me that box and I will never kill you. You are my friend and you should be a King who loyal to our King, Great King Kublai Khan.”

“I am sorry that I am not a King, but Jayakatwang is.
However, I am not sure Jayakatwang as a real King who wants to give tibute like I have to the Great King Kublai Khan.”

“Shall he give tribute and be loyal to our King?”

“I don’t think so; He is conceited looks like King Kertanegara who have cut Meng Qi’s ear.”

Yeh Luchi’s face become flushing because of anger to hear Meng Qi’s ear has been cut by Kertanegara.

He shouted, “Hi Raden Wijaya, prepare your Army, we together will attack our enemy, King Jayakatwang.”

“I am sorry that I haven’t Army like yours. However I will support you with just two hundred soldiers.”

“OK a day after tomorrow we will attack Jayakatwang.”

“Before I go, I want to say that the box is yours; When you return home then I will give you another two boxes likes this for your King. Great King Kublai Khan.”

Raden Wijaya and his follower back home at Majapahit land. He told his experience to his uncle and his wifes as well as entire military staffs.

Arya Wiraraja gave comment, “Wonderful; You have successfully opposed Mongol side against Jayakatwang on the other side.”

Gayatri gave comment, ‘For me, just he has come home safely is a beautiful moment and now he add with a sophisticated value, to oppose Mongol against Jayakatwang; unbelieveable.’

Narendraduhita just say, “I loved you my husband. Just my pray will follow you in the next of battle field. God please safe my husband ; take him away from every jeopardy.

“Uncle, now we discuss this problem seriously; What your plan then?”

“Our Army just one thousand and five hundred soldiers. You will go along with two hundred soldier. I will command the rest one.

You will face Jayakatwang, chalange him for fighting, while the Mongol Army hide in the forest; Please make Jayakatwang doesn’t know that you have brought Mongol soldiers.

Meanwhile, I along with one thousand soldiers will wait the Mongol when they come returning from the battle. Hoping they will have exhausted then we could easy to defeat them.”

“Thank you uncle.”

To be continued.

No comments: