Monday, April 28, 2008

King Ken Arok (Part 2)

<
MONDAY, APRIL 28, 2008
King Ken Arok (Part 2)
King Ken Arok
The Great Grand Pa of many Kings in Java


The Secret Rebellion


Retold by : Satoto Kusasi


Prologue

Market is a place for people gathering to buy and to sell; but a few people come just for begging. A woman carrying her baby and a child is a beggar in that market.
However, that beggar is different from the others since she sing a song with her traditional guitar for getting money from audiences.

The audiences come just want to hear what word that she sang, not because of her sound was melodious. The lyric of her song has made puzzle to every one; Seems she is politician who wants to get rid of the authoritarian.

She sang,

Don’t blame me whether I becoming beggar
Cause The King has killed my husband
Therefore, any one hold my family up.
We should blame the murderer

Why do King have to kill?
Because of a woman
Not me, but a pretty woman
Don’t ask me please
You have known better than I have

We are sad, mortified and bear a grudge.
Nevertheless, we are weak, have no power
Do you know where the wise judgment is?
Oh God, do you sleep?
I knew you didn’t

“Hi, what she says? As if she has bear grudge to our King; May be our King has killed her husband. She is strange and mysterious; Let us tell about her to King Ken Arok.” An audience gIves his opine. He wants to report to his King.

One of his friend asks straight to the beggar, “Hi lady! Did the King has killed your husband?”

“Yes he did; that was because of a pretty woman that he love.”

“Do you mean the killer was King Ken Arok?”

“I cannot say that; but I supposes yes he was.”

“Why did he kill your husband? What purpose of him?”

The woman and two of her children don’t want to answer but she goes away secretly.

Not so long some troops of Kingdom come to catch the beggar, “Where is the beggar?”

“She has gone. Ha, ha, for catching a woman you don’t have to bring many young men like this; it’s shameful of you.”

“She is a rebel, not just a beggar; You must know the reality. She must have many friends to support her. We concluded they must be rebellion movement.”

People at there astonished to hear Commandant of the troop saying. The Country was in danger because rebels want to launch attack to Singosari Kingdom.

People become curious with the woman. Who is she?
Then they wait the woman at same market on the next day, but the woman didn’t show up. Perhaps, she has already known that she may could be detained by soldiers.

However, she has moved to the other market. People come surrounding her, to hear her song. Now she looks like entertainment artist, no more a beggar.

Every time the troops want to catch her, she has already gone. Seems some body has given sign that the troops want to come. Then the Commandant is right when he said, that there was rebellion movement against Singosari Kingdom. The rebels has already come forward.

Finally, the people knew already that her husband was Kebo Ijo who has killed a hoodlum at Kenanga Village. He was a hero who could be able to eliminate the hoodlum that threatening people of Kenanga Village.
Now the people have heard the previous news that was the King, the man who killed Kebo Ijo without do justice. They only know that the King caught the murderer of Akuwu Tunggul Ametung, when the news make a start; However, the last news saying, the King has killed Kebo Ijo who accused as murderer, but no evidence.

The most important news for the people was King Ken Arok has killed Tunggul Ametung. Who said? Yes, she was the beggar.
She was the wife of Kebo Ijo, name Ken Merak.

Ken Merak has known everything on the night of Tunggul’s assassination events .
On that night, she has seen a thief came to her room and stolen keris (blade) from cupboard. However, she was pretending sleep since she knew already that the thief was Ken Arok, husband’s friend.
Not so long, Ken Arok came again with few soldiers; He said, “Hi Kebo Ijo, your weapon has been stabbing on Tunggul’s chest. Therefore, you have killed Akuwu Tunggul.”

“Will you explain to me why my blade was on there?”

“You explain to me not I; Don’t be pretending, you are the killer.”
Suddenly, Ken Arok killed Kebo Ijo.

That was a sad story from Ken Merak that she told to the large people. She told with her song or with her crying at market along with her two children. Many people gave sympathized to her with their crying also.

Everybody knew also who the pretty woman was, according Ken Merak. She was Ken Dedes.
Then people concluded, “How cruel our King is.
For seizing a pretty woman, Ken Arok has to kill two persons, Tunggul Ametung and Kebo Ijo.”

Large people at every place and every time discussed the news.
Ken Merak has influenced the people to fight against unwise King successfully. She told concerning bad rumor of their King. Ken Arok biography has been opened too that he was ex hoodlum when he was young.
Now her struggled against her own King has been assisted by large people of Singosari.


Chapter 1

Anusapati, son of Tunggul Ametung was a young man. Even though he actually was son of Tunggul Ametung but he has been elected as Prince of Singosari Kingdom by King Ken Arok, his stepfather.

Now, He knew already that he isn’t son of King Ken Arok; Even he knew already that King Ken Arok has killed his real father.
Who has told him?
Of course, she is Ken Merak.
We have to know, when Anusapati for the first time met Ken Merak?
That was the story,

One day, Anusapati goes to Tumapel Palace. He search the Palace since he has been growing up from a baby until a little boy at Tumapel Palace. Then he and her parents moved to Kediri Palace because his stepfather became a King, King Ken Arok.

He still remembered about the room that no one has permit to enter. He asks why I prohibited entering the room. The room still in locked and he can’t enter.

The owner of the Palace was Demang Chandra, the new Akuwu of Tumapel. He welcomes the Prince. Moreover, he helped every thing Anusapati needed.

“Uncle Demang, I want to ask you, why this room being locked?”

“Because of this room was no more suitable for being occupied by human.”

“Why?”

“I am sorry to give you a stupid answer; Ghost was in there.”

Anusapati laugh at Demang; “When I was a boy, I have ever heard the reason and I believed it, but not now. Well.... It’s OK Demang,
I will keep the reason in my mind; I consider this room as mysterious room”

After Anusapati played, walked and searched every site of the old Palace, he went home.

On the road of way home, he met a beggar woman with two children. His cart almost strike her because she crossed the street without careful as if she pile up.
Anusapati stepped down from his carriage, “Are you alright?” Would you come with us?”

“You are a Prince but I am just a beggar, I embarrassed.”

“I don’t mind. I could to bring you until your home, will you?”

She nodded and then she came up into his carriage.

Not so long, the carriage comes at her home. “Thank you very much Prince. You are a good Prince, you would be a King, and I am sure you will be a wise King.
Any way, I want to tell you a story concerning you. I am please if you want to hear my story.”

“Yes I want to hear it.” Anusapati goes down, enter the beggar’s home and seat on the chair.

She is Ken Merak.
Anusapati not supposed will have important news concerning fate of his real father.

“First of all, I am sorry has received you in poor condition of my home, but I want to tell you the secret story that you must know. My name Ken Merak; I am wife of Kebo Ijo, the soldier who have duty to guard Tumapel Palace with Ken Arok.
Now my husband had passed away, because Ken Arok, your stepfather had killed him.
Ken Arok also had killed Tunggul Ametung, before he killed my husband.

I want you to know that Tunggul Ametung is your real father, not Ken Arok.
You asked me, why did Ken Arok killed them; that was because of he wants to seize Ken Dedes from Tunggul to be his wife. I am sure he also wants to seize the authority of Regent Tumapel.
I supposed that Ken Dedes had assisted Ken Arok to kill Tunggul Ametung.
That was my secret story concerning your stepfather, real father as well as you, yourself.”

The face of Prince become red, clue of anger, “My father is Tunggul Ametung, not Ken Arok. He may to kill me too because I am is his enemy. However, he didn’t do.
Because of I am son of Ken Dedes, the woman that he loved. Therefore my Mom has been defending me successfully for a long time.

Oh father, your fate was sadness. You look like an old male lion that led a lion family; when suddenly a young male lion come to seize the family by killing you. However, the young male lion forgot to kill a baby lion. Now the baby lion has grown, it become strong and ready wants to kill the leader lion back.”

Afterward he asks, “Where was the site of the assassination?”

“The assassination had happened in his room at Tumapel Palace.”

“The mysterious room must be the site of the assassination.” Anusapati thought.

“Did you bear grudge to my stepfather?” Anusapati asked.

“Yes I did ! And how about you?”

“The same as you.”

“Do you have something planning to revenge?” Ken Merak asked

“I think I have; but we will discus about it later on.”

“It isn’t an easy job to kill a King. Shall we kill him?” Ken Merak asked

“I would rather say no than yes. He is a wise and smart King and has successfully make people prosperous and happy. However, he is the murderer of my father.
Even though he has taken care of me likely his own son, but I hated him now.”

“Shall we?” Ken Merak asked again, insisted.

“Yes we shall.” Anusapati answered.

Ken Merak squat down in front of Prince leg, hugged his leg, and dropped her tears, “Prince, I am your soldier; So please give me your command, I am ready to combat our enemies. Even I am ready to die.”

“Is it a war?” Anusapati asked

“Yes it is, because of our enemy is a King.”

“Do you have your plan to do war?”

“Yes I have. The first step, we must spread bad rumor of our King. Tell the people that he was the murderer of Tunggul Ametung and Kebo Ijo. I think any body has ever known that news. They though Ken Arok is clean and a wise King, but not. I believed he is smart but he is evil.”

“How can to spread the bad rumor of him?”

“I want to sing a song at market and at public places. The song will consist the bad story about King who had murdered my husband and Tunggul Ametung. I want to tell people concerning my fate that the King had killed my husband.”

“Then what can I do to support you?”

“I think you have your soldiers as your subordinate or your men that can be trusted; They will follow me as a secret team.
They could have given me sign before the troops want to catch me.”

“Yes I agreed with you, it is a perfect planning. Then we hope people will have their anger to their own King and at last the rebellion could be emerged.”

“So what’s your plan Prince? Will you kill your own stepfather?”

“I would rather not to kill him than to kill. So I hope somebody wants to help me to kill my stepfather for me.”

“It is an easy job. You have your men that can be trusted; Then you can use them for killing him with arrow; right? I could understand how your stepfather loved you”

“Perfect, I agreed with you. You can do your struggled from now on. I will support you with my men. But don’t tell our meeting to every body. ”



Chapter 2

King Ken Arok feels restless to hear bad rumor about him. His secret agent comes and gives report, “You’re Majesty! Now the people in every places have discussed the issue of Tunggul Ametung assassination. They said that the killer was you. Therefore, they regreted you and even disappointed about you; Seem they didn’t trust you any more.”

“Who tell the story?”

“Every body told.”

“I mean the sources of the issue. Who is the first man or woman that has produced the issue ?”

“A woman beggar in the market who sang with her guitar. His lyric said that King has killed her husband. She is Ken Merak, the wife of Kebo Ijo.
She also told about you that had killed Tunggul Ametung.”

“Catch Ken Merak and give hard punishment.”

The Singosari troops run after the beggar woman; But they failed since somebody has given secret sign and clue that the troop will come. Therefore, the beggar can escape.

Now King Ken Arok has suspicion against Anusapati, “Perhaps he already knew that I have killed his real father. Possibly, he spread the rumor too. Probably, both of them have worked together. I have to do an action against my stepson, but it was late since the people already distrust me.”

Meanwhile, the relation ship between Ken Dedes and Ken Arok was not good since King Ken Arok always have been at Mistress’s home, Ken Umang. The King also loved his real son, Panji Tohjaya more than that of Anusapati.
Even the King has ever said that the King successor is Panji Tohjaya, no more Anusapati.

Anusapati loved his mother so did his little brother, Mahisa Wongateleng.
Anusapati and Mahisa Wongateleng could be friendly. Even though Anusapati has known that, his little brother has different father.

After his trip to Tumapel, Anusapati along with Mahisa Wongateleng faced his beloved mother. He wants to tell his mother the news of murdering his real father.

“Mom, may I tell you a sadness story from Tumapel Palace.”

“What is that?”

“You have already known about the room that has been occupied by ghost in the middle of Tumapel Palace. That room actually was site of murdering. Somebody has killed Akuwu Tunggul Ametung in that room.

Moreover, I just have known that Akuwu Tunggul Ametung is my real father.
In addition, the murderer is my own stepfather, King Ken Arok.

Mom, I disappointed to my own stepfather. How he has a heart to kill my father.
What has happened Mom? What’s the central problem Mom ?”

Ken Dedes become pale face at sudden; She keeps silent; She can’t be able to talk any.

Afterward, Anusapati asks again, “Mom did you involved in this assassination? Did you help Ken Arok to kill Tunggul Ametung?
Please answer me Mom.”

Mahisa Wongateleng moves toward front of his mother, “Don’t force our mother. Please don’t hurt her. Brother Anusapati, please be polite to our mother.”

“I am sorry Mom, I am sorry Brother Mahisa.” Suddenly Anusapati cries with many tears dropped from his eyes.

Finally Ken Dedes talks, “You forced me to answer son. OK I will ful-fill your asking. I will tell you the truth of sad story concerning your father, Akuwu Tunggul Ametung
If you have anger with me then I would have surrendered on you, what ever you want to do to your mother.

Tunggul Ametung has forced me to marry; Even he has kidnapped on me before we married. He brought me from the forest to Tumapel with my hands was tided and my mouth was plugged.
I didn’t love him. Then the marrying between your father and I was running without love. Day by day of our living was full of cruel. I wasn’t happy being his wife. Even I thought in my mind that I am not his wife but a slave of him.

One night, I run away from Tumapel Palace. A soldier followed me and caught me; He hand me over Tunggul. The soldier whose name Ken Arok, become my expectation that he may be able to help me to pull me out from the marrying trap. Fortunately, he agreed with me and even he revealed his love to me. Then both of us have planned to kill Tunggul Ametung.”

Anusapati become calm down, no tears dropped; He keep silent. Afterward he says, “On behalf of father, I am sorry concerning awkward behavior of my father. Now I could understand how you were very angry with my father.

Mom, I loved you Mom.
I realized that you have been protecting on me for a long time from Ken Arok threatening that probably wants to kill me too.”

“I loved you too son.” Ken Dedes hugs Anusapati and Mahisa Wongateleng. Then the three persons cries in sadness emotion.

Ken Dedes asks, “Son, do you bear grudge against your stepfather? Do you want to kill him, to revenge?”

Anusapati answeres without hesitate, “Yes I do. Perhaps my stepfather has the same purpose with me, wants to kill me. Therefore, I am in jeopardy now. I hope both of you will provide me. I loved my Country; I don’t want to be rebel but I must do rebel otherwise he may could kill me in the first of opportunity.”

Ken Dedes says, “I and my son, Mahisa Wongateleng will provide you son. Even I hated my husband because he has concubine that make me jealous. So, What is your plan? How to do rebellion ?”


Chapter 3

King Ken Arok calls on Anusapati. Anusapati comes into his office. Anusapati prefer to face his stepfather casually, but now it looks formal.

“Yes father, what can I do?”

“Son, you knew already the rumor among the people, do you?”

“Yes I do.”

“Do you believe that I have killed Tunggul Ametung? It was a liar; the real killer was Kebo Ijo.”

“No, I don’t believe; I believed that the real killer was Kebo Ijo.”

“Where did you hear the news about me?”

“Everybody has told about you, father; Every times and every places, they always talking about you. Now your name become famous but down and bad.”

“So, what’s your suggestion to me son? Will you give me suggestion or perhaps you want to be rebel against me?”

“We are a solid family father. Why did you ask me unusual question?”

Ken Arok keeps silent; He looks confusing and even frightening with bad situation of his Kingdom. Moreover, he has suspicion against his stepson, “He has role in this situation; he has already known the secret murdering and now he wants to kill me back.” He thought

Surprising for Anusapati that Suddenly King Ken Arok confesses to his stepson concerning the murder, “Because of you has known who your real father is, that is Akuwu Tunggul Ametung. Now I confess to you that I have killed him; and then I supposed that you want to kill me back.
Wont you?”

“I am afraid to kill you father, because of you are a King. Even more, you are a good father that have taken care on me with so kindly. How I could kill you, father ? even though you have killed my real father, however, you are my leader in this family.”

“Common son, I want to hug you.” Anusapati approachs his father, hugs him and cries, so did King Ken Arok.”

“I want to suggest you, father, please don’t go out from this Palace for a moment, until the situation of this Country would become calm down. Don’t appear in front of the public as if you got sick.”

“Now I am relief; thank you son; I loved you son.”

Was Anusapati so kind that he has given apology to his stepfather? No, it was just his trick to win the war in battlefield. (remember Ken Merak saying, it is real war against a King )
The situation of Palace became cool and nice again because of Anusapati have a good approaching to his stepfather.

But the people on the street got anger to their own King. The amount of them increase day by day. Will they do rebellion, fighting against King’s authority? No, they just will show their feeling of regreted and disappointed.
They do appreciate to King Ken Arok because he can be able to make people prosperous. He has changed Singosari Kingdom to become Nautical Country. He make Tuban Harbor to become important harbor at his time era.

Ken Merak has been protected by anger people. There is no more threatening of the troops that want to catch her. She has her freedom to speak and influence people to be encouraged to reveal their disappointed.

Now they have agreement to go to the Palace together, to ask the King directly concerning the issue of Akuwu Tunggul Ametung murder. If the King wants to confess as murderer, then he will be dismissed as a King. Then Anusapati could crown as a new King.




Chapter 4


A guard confronts the King, “You’re Majesty, people have been gathering in front of the gate since early morning, want to meet you.”

“What? How many they are?”

“Perhaps two thousand people.”

“What purpose of them?”

“They want to ask you concerning the issue of assassination Akuwu Tunggul Ametung.”

“So, they want to judge me. Call on my son, Anusapati!”

Anusapati comes along with his mother as well as his brother Mahisa Wongateleng.
Then the Royal Family go toward front of yard of Palace. Meanwhile, Ken Umang and Panji Tohjaya didn’t include because they lived in their own house, not in the Palace.

Ken Arok whispered to his son, “Will you speak to the people, make them calm down.”

Anusapati speaks, “Hi people of Singosari, May Goddess give his blessing to us. Every body have ever make sin, included me. Now I knew that you come to us to make justice upon my father, King Ken Arok. Could he make a sin? Of course, he could. Then the point of us is, could you give him apology? I think, Goddess has already given apology to him and how about you? Will you give him apology?”

The people become crowded; their sound likes bees. A man shouts, “We want to do justice upon our King. If he has proved be guilty then he will be punished.
This matter has no correlation with Goddess.”

Suddenly, an arrow fly straight on to King’s stomach; The King fell down.
Anusapati carrys his stepfather into the Palace, straight to his room. He followed by Ken Dedes and Mahisa.

“Please, safe me.” The King said.

The troops made action to chase the people away. The people go home calmly as if they have agreement with the troops.

Anusapati gives instruction to every body not to follow him in the room. He locked the door and now he is just with the King in King’s room.

He looks at his stepfather’s face; It is a pale face, clue of blood loses in his stomach.

“Son, I am going to die. I don’t want to suffer any longer; So please give me the last stab of yours on to my chest to make my biography will be finished.”

“Shall I kill you?”

“Yes with Empu Gandring keris; I want to ful-fill the curse of Empu Gandring.” The King said.

“Actually I want to kill you with my anger feeling because of you have killed my real father, but I can’t. Because of you are a good father who have taken care on me.
Now, father go with peace; Please forgive me!.”

Then Anusapati killed King Ken Arok, stabbed the keris of Empu Gandring on to his chest.
He pulled the keris and threw it away at some where in that room, because of frightened
Perhaps he has feeling guilty to kill a man that has ever taken care his living.

Anusapati comes out of King’s room and announced to every staffs of Palace that The King Ken Arok was death already.
No body knew that Anusapati has killed the King. They though the King was death because of stabbed of an arrow on his stomach.

However, a guard who was standing out-door of the king’s room heard the conversation between Anusapati and the King. Therefore he knew what has happened.
After the The King’s corpse has taken away, the guard goes into the King’s room to make the room tidy; He found the Empu Gandring keris laid on the floor. He takes and keeps it then brings it home.

Every person in that Kingdom has comment when he or she heard the news.
Some of them appreciated with the wise King and smart King. Nevertheless, the others have low opine to his King. Even saying, the King was an Evil.

Mahisa Wongateleng thought, “I don’t want to be a King and even I don’t want to involve in politically movement. I just want to be common people. I want to be trader for my living.”

Panji Tohjaya comment, “He was a good father. He has his promised to me to elect me as his successor. Therefore, I have to do struggle to seize authority from Anusapati, because I am valid King in Singosari Kingdom.

Anusapati crown to be a King, the second King of Singosari Kingdom.

(To be continued )

No comments: