Friday, April 25, 2008

King Ken Arok

Friday, April 25, 2008
King Ken Arok
The Great Grand Pa of Java Kings

Retold by Satoto Kusasi


Prologue

A baby cries loudly as if he wants to say, “Hi, I am born at here, then I would be Grand Pa of many Kings in Java.”

He is Ken Arok; he just be born by a poor mother. Her friend assisted the labor and the male baby has delivered successfully.

“Look, a male healthy baby of yours; He looks so cute but hungry.
Will you give breast feeding?” Her friend asked.

Ken Endok, his mother gives breast-feeding to her son.

“Son, your mother is poor; I just want to give you a name, nothing else; Your name will be Ken Arok. I am sorry can’t be able to hold you up.
I knew you asked me where your father is; Your father is Brahman, therefore, he can’t marry me.”

Because of her poor condition then his mother threw away Ken Arok; Put the baby lay down in the cemetery, hoping someone would be so kind to care of Ken Arok.

Afterward, a theft has taken the baby when he saw the baby is lying on the ground and crying.
The thief found a piece of paper tell him, “Please take care my baby, he is Ken Arok. I would like to say thank you to you. ”
Then Ken Arok become adopted son of theft family.

Ken Arok grew become a healthy boy but very naughty in addition, he has learnt how to steal, rob, gamble and others of bad achievement from his stepfather.

Short story saying, the young adult Ken Arok become hoodlum in his village.


Chapter 1

On one accasion at a village, everybody is gathering to do cock fighting gambling. That day is an especially day for cock fighting arena. That morning is so nice that the sun is rising, the birds are singing and the cock crow together.
Meanwhile, the people busy to sell their gambling business, in the cock fighting arena.

“Hi boy, come here; let us see our cock fighter! Here is the “white never die” that will fight against the “red brave fighter”.

The boy comes approachs him; He seriously inspects the two animals. He is Ken Arok that comes for gambling.

He just asked money from his stepparents; Of course, Ken Arok that always asks money, annoy the stepparents.

“Will you put your money down?” The croupier asked

“Yes I will; Then I choose ‘the red brave fighter’.” Ken Arok answered.

Afterward, many customers come to the croupier; Then the croupier become busy to collect money.

“Ok, the cock fighting will start.” The croupier announced.

The red brave fighter attacks first while the white just defends. The red has good stamina that it kick and peck continuously.
However, after took a long time, the red become exhausted and then the white has turned, gives counter attack. Seems the white is really fighter cock even though it slim.

Ken Arok assessed the fighting, “The red will lose then I will lose my money too.”

Ken Arok goes near the croupier’s desk; He stole money from drawer of the desk; Then he goes away secretly into the bush for hiding. No body has seen his action because they were watching the fighting seriously.

Ken Arok goes forward until finding the suitable place for hiding in the deep of forest.
The place is lonely, no bird sound except the owl sound.
However, the sound of owl should be heard in the afternoon, not in the morning.

“It was a strange of sound; Seems to me it was sound of a man, not owl. I have to be alert, since the croupier may have come. He looked for me. I will fight him.”
He thought.

Not so long, Ken Arok heard the sound of branch of tree is cracking on the floor of forest. That’s clue that some body stepped on that floor goes toward him.
Afterward, an old man appear; He wearied a white long robe. He is an old Hindu Priest. He was the man that has produced the sound of owl.

“He is just an old man; I can rob this man.” He thought.
Ken Arok prepares his keris (=blade) and then goes out from the bush, attacks the old man at sudden.

The Priest startled with the sudden attacked. However, the old man can avoid the stabbed and even he can catch the enemy’s hand. He is strong enough to hold both arms of Ken Arok.

“Will you surrender or not?” The Priest asked. Now the Priest is the winner.

“I am surrender.” Ken Arok gives his statement.

“What’s purpose of you? Why do you want to kill me?”

“I want to rob you, because I need money for my living.”

“Why you didn’t work for getting your money?”

“I have done; Now I am working to rob you.”

“Robbing is not a job; that is a crime. Then I will bring you to Police officer.
Are you willing?”

“No please don’t do that; Please forgive me.”

“Who is your name?”

“My name is Ken Arok.”

The Priest astonished heard the name. Ken Arok is a boy that he has been looking for, for a long time.

The Priest who’s name Lohgawe comes from India just to find a boy who has named Ken Arok. He believed that Ken Arok is reincarnation of Wisnu the Goddess.

When Lohgawe meditated he has divine revelation, “Go to Kediri Kingdom in East of Java, find a boy who is named Ken Arok. He is reincarnation of Wisnu the Goddess; Take care of him; In future he would become a King, even the Grand Pa of many Kings in Java.”

Lohgawe sailed from India straight to Tuban Harbor, just for a boy name Ken Arok. Now, to day, he has found the boy accidentally.

“Are you really Ken Arok?”

“Yes I am. Did you find something wrong with my name?” Ken Arok asked.

“No, it is a good name of you.
However, I hope you are a wise person; In fact you are a hoodlum.
Although whatever you are, God has said to me, that you will be a King in future.
Do you want to be a King?”

“Yes I want to Master.
Can I call you Teacher or Master?
I want to be your pupil.” Ken Arok said.

“What kind of capability that you want to be taught?”

“Fighting, as you have shown on me; I knew you are a real fighter.”

“I am a Priest not a fighter; Therefore, I avoid violence. I dislike fighting.”

“A king has to have capability of fighting, ....the same as a hoodlum;
But believe me that I don’t want to be a hoodlum anymore.”

Suddenly, Ken Arok run away into the bush for hiding.
Lohgawe startled, “Why did he run away?”

Not so long, a man comes and asks, “Hi holly man, did you find a boy in this forest?”

“Yes I do, he just run away in to the bush, through this direction.” The Priest pointed.

“Thank you Priest.” Then the man along with his friends runs after Ken Arok into the forest. They caught Ken Arok, tied his hands and brought him out of forest.

The man is croupier who lost his money. He has suspected the boy has stolen his money because the boy disappeared at sudden.

“Where is my money? You have stolen my money, confess!”
The croupier press his arms more tighten. Ken Arok feels pain over his arms.

“Yes I confess, please release my hands now and then I will go to find the money for you back.”

“Can I trust on you?”

Ken Arok looks at Lohgawe. As if, he ask Lohgawe to provide him.

Afterward, Lohgawe says, “Believe him because he is my pupil. If he has gone escaping then you could detain on me because I will be his replacement.”

“Is he your pupil? I can’t believe you; This boy is a bad boy and even a hoodlum.”

“Yes I knew. That is my duty as a Priest, will make bad people become good people; included this boy.”

The croupier released Ken Arok. Ken Arok goes into forest. Afterward, he comes back with a sac of money; Gives the money to the croupier and says sorry.

Ken Arok approachs Lohgawe, squatted down in front of his leg and hugs his leg, “Thank you Master, I like to hear you, when you called me pupil.
May I become your pupil?”

“Yes you may, but I don’t want to teach you how to fight, but how to love, to care and to grow every creature of God; will you?”

“Of course Teacher, I will”.

Now the croupier clapps and so did his friends.
The croupier approachs Priest Lohgawe, shakes hand and says, “Holly man, you are a good Priest; You have done your job successfully.”

Lohgawe has found the reincarnation of Wisnu Goddess as it said in the divine revelation; God also asked him to care and to teach him until he becomes a King.
However, Lohgawe disappointed when he found that Ken Arok is just a young hoodlum.

Lohgawe prays to Goddess:

Oh God, I have found him
But he is just a bad hoodlum
I am afraid that I couldn’t be able to care of him
Even more to make him become a wise King

I believed your great planning wants to make the people
becomes more prosperous, diligent, and smart
Under the authority of a wise King
Who is the reincarnation of Wisnu the Goddess
That is your scenario
Then it would become the history of Java Land

I am just intermediary between of you and people
My effort is nothing; Please forget it
I hope I can see the people of Java would become happy
As well as their King



“Teacher, I supposed you have talked about me with God, did you?”

“Yes I did, because of you are reincarnation of Wisnu the Goddess.”

“Am I? You must be joking. I am just rubbish among people; I haven’t value at all.”

“But in sequence was true; I believed it because God ordered on me when I was meditating.
If God desire about something, then those things will appear truly.” Lohgawe said.

Ken Arok as well as the men at there are astonished.
“Is that true? How a bad boy is actually reincarnation of Goddess Wisnu ?.”
They thought.

Afterward, Ken Arok promised to the people as well as to his teacher that he doesn’t want to be hoodlum anymore.
Then the young adult has to follow his teacher to everywhere as wanderer.


Chapter 2

The ‘Akuwu’ (=Regent) of Tumapel District, named Akuwu Tunggul Ametung.
He is subordinate of King Kertajaya of Kediri Kingdom.
The King is the last King of Kediri Kingdom Dynasty.

Tunggul Ametung is bachelor, therefore he needed a woman for being his wife.

He has hobbies of hunting; Therefore, he always goes into forest for hunting every day. Many animals has become his victims.

One day, when he was at the middle of forest, he saw a cabin, “A cabin in the middle of forest is unusual, that perhaps a switch occupies it for bad uttering then invite a disaster that will hit people.”

He goes toward the cabin, nears the fence and shouts, “Hi! Is there someone else in side?”
No answering and then he shouts again; There is no answer too.
everything keep on silent.

There is white line of chalk along the fence as a clue that no one has permit to go enter the cabin except have been allowed by the owner.
Therefore, Tunggul forbid entering the cabin.

Tunggul leaves the cabin; However, he hides and waits under the bush.
Hoping, some one will appear from the inner cabin.

Akuwu Tunggul is right, when a woman comes out.
Wonderful .....!! A pretty woman; Really, she is a beautiful young lady.
She is looking for something, perhaps the man who has shouted continuously. She didn’t find anything, then she goes back again into her cabin.

Akuwu Tunggul thinks, “The owner is a lovely woman; She isn’t switch as my supposing and I fall in love with her. God, please bring about her to be my wife.”

Tunggul comes again toward the cabin and shouts with polite manner, “Would you let me come-in into your cabin please?
I am Akuwu Tunggul Ametung want to meet you; Just want to know who you are.”

“You are prohibited to go inside.
My name is Ken Dedes.
If you insisted to go into my cabin then I would have done suicide in front of you.”

Tunggul returns home. However, before he goes, says, “Thank you Ken Dedes, I will come back again and really want to meet you in the next time.”

“I don’t want to meet you; Don’t come back!.”

Who is Ken Dedes?
His father named Empu Purwa who performs asceticism in the forest.
When he do asceticism, his daughter has been left in the cabin alone.
Empu Purwa ordered not allow every stranger go enter into their cabin.
Sometimes he goes back home to see the condition of his daughter.
Ken Dedes’s mother had passed away.

After came home at Tumapel, Akuwu Tunggul Ametung mused, kept silent for a long time because he is passionate and fall in love with Ken Dedes.

The lovely face of Ken Dedes always appear in his mind.
He lost his appetite, also can’t sleep well.

Finally, he decided to go to the cabin once more and will bring the woman by force,
“I must fetch that woman what ever would be happened next.”
He rides his horse into the forest.

When he saw the cabin, his heart-beat become increase and sweat dropped from his front head. He thought, “I don’t care who you are, but I have to marry you.”

He stands in front the fence; He shouts politely, “Ken Dedes, I come to you. Would you please open your cabin? Believe me that I am not suppose to hurt you.”

Ken Dedes writes a letter for her father in hurry; She has predicted that Akuwu Tunggul Ametung wants to kidnap her, “Dear father, the man that I have told you before, comes again; Seems to me he wants to do kidnap on me. He is Akuwu Tunggul Ametung, Akuwu of Tumapel.”

Suddenly, some body grasps on her from behind, shut up her mouth, brought her out of cabin with force and laid her body down on the back of a horse. She can’t shout because her mouth is shut with handkerchief.

Akuwu Tunggul Ametung brings Ken Dedes to Tumapel with forces.

At dawn, her father, Empu Purwa came home from the forest. He called on her daughter, “Ken Dedes, open the door please, your Pa come home!”

But no answered; She should not go as his order.

Finally, he found a letter tell him that his daughter has been kidnapped by Akuwu Tunggul Ametung.

“Hi Tunggul, I curse you; you will die, stab by someone else.
Oh God, help me to ful-fill my curse on him. Please give your judge on us; You are the best judgment.”
Empu Purwa has cursed Tunggul Ametung.

Meanwhile, Tunggul came home along with his girl in which her hands were tied, her mouth was shut and her hair unordered.
He goes into his Palace in hurry; Just a few of his staffs has seen that event.

Day by day, Ken Dedes didn’t want to talk, eat and do any act. How hate she is with Akuwu Tunggul. “Can I be liberated to choose my husband candidate?
How a girl likes me could be a wife of a man that I hate?”

However, she feels hungry and thirsty, by then she eats and drinks finally.

Day after day, Tunggul attempts to persuade her and asks her to be his wife.
He does continuously and then finally, Ken Dedes wants to be agreed with him, to please Akuwu Tunggul, even though she hates him very much.

The wedding party happened in Tumapel Palace then the couple has formally become a family.

After two Month, Ken Dedes got pregnant; Tunggul happy, however Ken Dedes not as happy as her husband is.


Chapter 3

Ken Arok along with his teacher comes to Tumapel. They tired, needed rest after a long journey.

They saw a beautiful garden yard with grass field and shade of many trees. Therefore, they get rest under a tree and finally, they sleep.

“Teacher wakes up! We have been at the garden yard of Tumapel Palace; I am afraid the soldiers will chase us away.”

“This garden is wide and the people have right to use it, not jus the King.
Common! Let us sleep again to make your body become fresh again.”

The Baboji Garden Is name of Tumapel Palace garden. No body can be allowed to utilize the garden. That place is private; Just the King and Royal Family that can use it. In this case, the owner of Baboji was not a King, but just Akuwu, subordinate of the real King in Kediri City.

Ken Arok goes down secretly to search the garden, left his teacher behind. He’s happy, enjoyed his liberty for a while. He searchs the beautiful garden, “How happy am I if I were a King.”

Suddenly, he heard the gallop sound of many horses, approachs him. He hides behind a big tree, peeps the horses. It is a carriage drawn by four horses. The Passenger not appeared, but he or she must be a Noble person.

The carriage stops and then the passenger comes out. She is a pretty woman.
She steps down from her carriage.

Unfortunately, wind blew her rob and then her private genital area is exposed; However, the private area is glowing that made Ken Arok could not see. He dazzle.

“She is a pretty woman; I fallen in love with her.
Who is she? She must be wife of Regent Akuwu Tumapel.”
Ken Arok thought.

Ken Arok returns back to his teacher. The teacher, Lohgawe has woken up, seats under the tree, “Hi, where have you been?”

“I just searched the place; Teacher, it is a beautiful garden.

However, I have an extraordinary experience that I must tell you, listen to me !.
A carriage came in front of me and then I hid behind a tree. The passenger was a pretty woman, stepped down from her carriage.
Suddenly, wind rose her rob and then her private genital area was exposed, but I can’t see because that area was glowing. I wonder why it can produce light.”

Priest Lohgawe muses for a while, afterward, he says, “She is Ken Dedes, wife of Regent Akuwu Tunggul Ametung the author of Tumapel.
Ken Dedes would become mother of many Kings; As well as her husband too.
The radiating ray from her genital area was clue.”

“But her husband is not a King, just an Akuwu (=Regent) of Tumapel.”

“Yes I knew, however, the second husband would be a King; that will be you.”

“Me? How come ?, Can I be her second husband?
Shall I seize his wife?”

“Yes you have to seize his wife.”

“Teacher, it’s a sin to do violence, more even to seize a wife of someone.”

“All of I said was plan of God. God has told me.
Therefore, the matter that would have been done by you, is not a sin.
it has been written in God scenario; You are just an actor in God’s theatrical in the World.”

“By then, Tunggul will have to be punished by God, Isn’t it? Why ?

“Yes he has; Because of he has done mistake to seize a girl from her parent.
The punishment not just be separated from his wife, but also he would have to be killed.

Goddess has heard Empu Purwa (KenDedes’s father) cursed,then God agreed with Purwa’s cursed.”

“Teacher, it was amazing, how a man like you can be able to talk with God.
Even can be able to predict everything that will happen in future.” Ken Arok comments.

“That is God’s willing.
Human didn’t know what God planned has, however human will be included in his planning as an actor.”

“Then what can I do now?” Ken Arok asked.

“You are Wisnu the Goddess; Wisnu is you, remember that.
Now I will leave you since I knew that you can be able to face every problem of yours now because of you are Wisnu the God.”

“Why do you want to leave me?”

“I am old enough; I want to die in my Country, India.
In addition, I am longing my family in India. Therefore, I want to go home”.

“Teacher, I can’t believe you that you want to leave me. I just learnt a little bit of your lessons and I knew you have more knowledge that you not yet teach me, included how to talk with God. Even tough I am Wisnu the God.”

“Everybody can talk with God, in deep of his or her heart.
If you asked God then God will answer as divine revelation; But with one condition that you have to be purified without sin.”

Ken Arok muses, “I can’t believe my own teacher whether I am Wisnu the God.
If I were God of Wisnu then I would had been narrator in the God’s theatrical. Then the planning of God would have been in my mind.
However in fact, I have never known the planning of God in this World; I can’t be able to predict.
Forget all; I am not God.”

“Teacher, I am not suppose that to day would become a discord day between you and I.

How I loved you very much. Saying thank you is not enough for you.
Please remember me as your pupil and even as your bad pupil.
I was just a hoodlum before you has taught the rightness, politeness, right rule of God and human as well as every science that you have.”

“Son, I want to give you a souvenir for remembering me, here they are, a necklace that you can use it as rosary.
I am sure that you could be able to surpass every difficulty.
Good luck.”

Ken Arok down squat hugs his leg and says thank you.

Priest Lohgawe prays:

Goddess, I have finished my task
That is to make Ken Arok be a King
This place, Tumapel District will be his first career
The plan of yours will have been running well
I will return home to India.


Chapter 4

Tunggul Ametung was jealous to every young man since he worried that his wife may goes to fall in love again to the other man.
His jealousy made his wife become more hate.

Even he asked many guards to keep on watch Ken Dedes whether she may have betrayed her love.

One day, there is a young man who applied for a job to be soldier.
Because of Tumapel district needed soldiers, he welcomed.
He is Ken Arok that comes directly to the Regent Secretary.

They elected Ken Arok as soldier; His duty to guard the Palace of Tumapel.

In his guarding station, he always meet accidentaly with Ken Dedes.

Ken Dedes also often see the new comer of a soldier that guards her Palace.
However, Ken Dedes never give attention to him.

On the other time, Ken Arok practiced military knowledge as fighting. Lucky him that Lohgawe has ever given that knowledge; Therefore, his Commandant appreciated him.

At one night, when Ken Arok guarded the Tumapel Palace, there some body is running out from the building. So, Ken Arok runs after that person.
However, he has followed by other man at behind.

Ken Arok caught the person, that actually she is Ken Dedes. The man at behind is Akuwu Tunggul Ametung.
Seems the family was in cruel; Ken Dedes moped to her husband.

Akuwu Tunggul Ametung said thank you to Ken Arok and then he carrys his wife back to their room.

After that event, Ken Dedes has known Ken Arok, the soldier who has ever caught her in the mid night.
Now, Ken Arok understood what’s problem that has suffered Tunggul’s family.
He supposed what the reason was; That because of the matter of Tunggul’s kidnapping that Lohgawe has ever told.

Now, every time Ken Dedes meets Ken Arok accidentally, she always greets him. However, Ken Arok pretends not to pay attention to her, because he afraid Tunggul would be angry.

Finally, Ken Dedes sent a letter to Ken Arok mention that she needed help urgently from a brave soldier likes Ken Arok.
Seems Ken Dedes was in dangerous situation.

Therefore, They have agreement want to meet in a secret place to discuss the problem.

Now, they were in a room of weapon storage secretly.
“What is your name soldier?” Ken Dedes asked.

“My name is Ken Arok.”

“Ken Arok, I need your help; Will you give your hands for me, please?”

“What can I do for you ?”

“I want you to eliminate my husband, because I didn’t love him any longer.
Will you?”

“Do you mean to kill him?”

“Yes I do. Or what ever the way you will do to kill him, I will agree with you.”

“If you don’t mind, I want to ask you concerning private matter of you. May I?”

“I don’t mind. I preferrs to answer you.”

“Have you another man? If you have another lover then I will quit. I don’t want to be involved in your matter. You would be better for asking your lover to do this task.”

Ken Dedes keeps silent for a moment.
Afterward, she says, “I haven’t lover, except of you.”

“What? Could you repeat your word?”

“You are my new lover. So please help me.”

Ken Arok asthonish heard her word. It’s so easy reaching the happiness that she gave her love very soon.

However, Ken Arok remember the God’s willing as Lohgawe has ever told him. “Lohgawe was right! Now his word has been proved. He really has ever talked with God, concerning God’s planning.”

Ken Arok can’t talk any longger since his secret meeting may could be seen by other guard, so he answers with short answering, “I love you too.”

“So? Will you help me?”

“Ken Dedes, I can’t believe on you that you love me.
I am afraid, you will throw me away, after I have done my task.
Will you betray our agreement?”

“Of course not my dear lover, please trust me. I am a woman that you can trust, believe me.
So we will meet again, until then”.

She has gone into the Palace building in hurry up.

Ken Arok has gone also to his office station, keep on guard as usual.

On the other meeting, Ken Dedes asks again, when the duty could have been done.

Ken Arok supposes that perhaps Ken Dedes in jeopardy that her husband wants to hurt her.

Ken Arok is in his room, muses, “To kill Tunggul Ametung is not an easy job because of he has divine power. I need a good weapon as a magic Keris (traditional blade) to fight his divine power.
I have to search the iron smith who can help me to make that weapon.”

He asked and searched and finally, he found the smith.
He is Empu Gandring who can be able to make a keris with full of magic.
However, Empu Gandring needed more time to make it.
He needs time almost a year.

Again, Ken Dedes met his lover to discuss that mater. “Ken Arok, the smith will take one year long time by then your task will also take longer.
Now I am going to have a baby, the baby of Tunggul Ametung.
If we killed his father then his son will have revenged on you; We will get trouble.

However, if we killed him before his son has delivered then his son will have never known the secret assassination of his father.
Therefore, we will safe for a long time.”

“And so what your purpose will be?” Ken Arok asked.

“Take the keris now, even though it’s not finish yet.” Ken Dedes answered.

After one Month passed, Ken Arok goes to Empu Gandring the smith once again.
He asks his order. Of course, the smith don’t want to deliver it because he just wants to deliver the excellence keris for his customer.

“May I take a look the keris please?” Ken Arok asked

Empu Gandring gives that thing.

“It is a good weapon. Also, it has finished completely.
Empu, I needs this weapon immediately.”

“You need a good weapon that has power magic inside it. Do you?
If so then I must utter pray to Goddess every once a Month.
I have to pray with the keris in my hand in the middle of current river at mid night.
I don’t want to make you disappointed.”

Ken Arok thought, “I have to kill him to seize the keris even though his reason is right actually.”

Suddenly, Ken Arok stabs the keris on to chest Empu Gandring.

Empu Gandring was going to die, but he could be able to say curse to Ken Arok, “Listen to me Ken Arok, I curse on you that the keris will kill every member of your family. I knew Goddess agreed with my cursed.”

Ken Arok leave behind Empu Gandring office in hurry. He left the corpse of Empu Gandring behind. Lucky for him, that no body knew the assassination.


Chapter 5

There is a fighter man named Sawunggaling. He is the champion of fighting in his village, Kenanga Village. People are afraid of him. No body can able to defeat him because of he has divine power.

Therefore, Sawunggaling can do everything recklessly as if he has authority in that village.
Even he can collect money as tribute from the people.
The chief of village can’t do nothing to ban his action.

Sawunggaling has whip as his weapon. The whip can coil the enemy’s weapon, therefore the weapon of his opponent could be released from his hand.

Even the armies of Kediri could not be able to catch him.

A friend of Ken Arok, named Kebo Ijo wants to be hero for his own people of Kenanga Village. Every people at Kenanga hoping Kebo Ijo can defeat the bad hoodlum.
However, Kebo ijo needed especially weapon to fight.

Accidentally, he saw the keris of Ken Arok; it is Empu Gandring’s keris.
“Friend, you have a new weapon; it is a beautiful blade (keris), may I take a look.”

Kebo Ijo inspected the weapon. Afterward, he comments, “It is a keris with magic power that with this weapon, I could defeat Sawunggaling easily.”

“Do you need this thing?”

“Yes I do”.

“I would prefer give you than lend you this thing.”

“Wow......, it is wonderful, the sound is good.
Are you sure?”

“Yes I am sure, but with one condition; Don’t tell to every one that the keris is mine. Please tell them that the keris is yours.”

“No problem at all; But I wondered, why?”

“That keris is not appropriate for me even though it has magic power.
However, you are the right owner of this keris.
I am afraid that thing can make me suffering disease.”

“OK I understood.”

From that time, Kebo Ijo practices for fighting every day. He never has low opinion to Sawunggaling. He wants to make the people of Kenanga Village being free from Sawunggaling’s threatened.
Because of that village is his village. He had grown in this village with his parents.

Until the day has come, Kebo Ijo well prepared to fight. He goes to the village, alone. Because of he don’t want to make others involve and suffer in his struggeling.
On the other hand, Sawunggaling has many friends that could help him in the fighting, and then the fighting may could have being unbalanced.

Kebo Ijo prayed to God, “Oh Goddess, please help me in this fighting. Please make the fighting will become fair. You are the best Judgment and you could see who is right and who is wrong. I knew the wrong one must be punished by you.”

He comes at edge village. Many people have been there that want to welcome their hero; Included the chief of village.
They hope Kebo Ijo can eliminate the bad hoodlum.

Kebo Ijo walks calmly, along with Chief of Village and follow by people. His face not seriously appearance even he can smile to every one.

Afterward, they come in front Sawunggaling’s home. Sawunggaling has known that challenge; He already prepared the fighting too.

“Hi Sawunggaling, I come to you for a fair fighting.
People want to know who the real fighter, between you and I.”

“Please go home kid. Send greeting to your Mom and tell her don’t forget to teach her son, not to be naughty.”

Sawunggaling released his whip and splashed that thing in to air; The sound likes Thunder. The sound has made children run away and cries.
It also made Chief of Village became frightened.

“I want to fight with fair; do not call your friends to help you.” Kebo Ijo asked.

“You make me angry kid; How come I have to ask my friends to help me for just killing an ant.”

Sawunggaling steps forward infront his opponent, splash the whip to Kebo Ijo head.

Kebo Ijo avoided by steps back; he unsheathed his keris, goes forward and stabs the keris to his body. Sawunggaling surprised and he has to step back ward two-steps.

Sawunggaling counter attacked, splashs his whip, coils the keris. The Kebo’s keris has drawn and released from Kebo’s hand.

Kebo unsheathed the other keris; that is Ken Arok’s keris. He moves forward fast likes light of thunder and stabs the keris on to Sawunggaling,s right hand. Blood dropped from Sawunggaling’s right arm.

Sawunggaling is very angry. Now he moves his step backward, two-steps again.
He splashs to the keris, coils the keris and drew it.
Surprising, the whip cut and even its owner released the whip. Seems Sawunggaling has suffered pain over his arms, therefore he have to released his whip.

Once more, Kebo Ijo attacked, moves likes light and stabs straight on to his chest. The attacked has done successfully.

Sawunggaling fell down to death immediately.

His friends move forward to Kebo Ijo. Kebo Ijo is ready to fight the others of enemies. However, the people move forward with their weapon; And then they can chase Sawunggaling friends away.

“Viva Kebo Ijo, Viva Kebo Ijo, Viva Kebo Ijo, Hurray, Hurray, Hurray.” The people cheer up because of happy.

Kebo Ijo become a hero of Kenanga Village. People admired him as a good soldier of Kediri Kingdom. However, everybody was curious asking concerning his keris,
“I think he can win because of he has a good keris.”

“Not just a good keris but more than that, it has magic power.”

Kebo Ijo is full of pride with his weapon.
He showed the blade to everyone. He said that the keris was Grand Pa’s.

Every body at Tumapel District talked and discussed the duel fighting.
They also wonder with his keris. They asked Kebo Ijo to show up his keris. Kebo Ijo pleased to show his keris to every one.

“Where did you buy?”

“That keris was my Grand Pa’s, now it is mine.”


Chapter 6

Ken Dedes asks again to Ken Arok to ful-fill his task, “Ken Arok, you can do your task now. Please don’t be coward; I knew you can be able to since you are a good soldier. Remember, that the baby will come about to bear.”

“Now, I am working my dear; So please be patient. You knew that Kebo Ijo was proud to have a new blade; That is my keris actually.
However, every body knew that it is Kebo’s, not mine.”

One night, a thief comes to Kebo Ijo’s home. He stole the keris from cupboard, no body find-out his action except Kebo Ijo’s wife.

The thief wearied a mask to cover his face. Now, he goes into the Palace and neared the Tunggul Ametung’s room. He stops for a while since a guard is at there; He waits until the guard would move on.

When the guard walked away, he goes near the door and opens it. He goes near the Tunggul’s bed, stabs the keris on to Tunggul’s chest.
Tunggul screams but he shut his mouth. Now, Tunggul just can murmur; He can’t produce sound.

Tunggul’s wife woke up but she slept again, as if she pretends being sleep well.

He almost finished his job; he has left his keris that still being stabbed on to Tunggul’s chest. Afterward, he run away into the dark bush.

Ken Dedes shouts, “Murder! Help! A murderer has killed my husband, help!”
She goes out from her room and shouts again, “Guard! Help! My husband has been killed.”

Five guards come in hurry, “What was happen Madam? Where the murderer has gone?”

“I don’t know! I woke up because of my husband was murmuring with a keris has stabbed on his chest.”

Guards run after the murderer; but all of them failed to catch the murderer.

When they come back again in the room, Tunggul Ametung is death already.
They pull the keris off; they inspected the thing.

One of them said, “I knew that the blade was Kebo Ijo’s; I have ever seen that thing when he showed up his keris to every body.”

Not so long, Ken Arok comes. He looks sleepy as if just has woken up.
“May I take a look; yes you right, it is Kebo’s keris. Let us catch Kebo, he must be the murderer!”

They came in hurry to Kebo’s home. They rushed in to his room and caught Kebo who was surprising, “What was happen?”

“You did just kill Tunggul Ametung, don’t be pretending! Confess!”

“No I didn’t.”

“That is your blade that we found stabbing on Tunggul’s chest. You can’t deny it.”

“I didn’t.
Will you explain to me why my blade has been stabbing on Tunggul’s chest?”

“You explain, not us,” Ken Arok said.

“You are the murderer.” Suddenly, Ken Arok stabs Kebo with the same keris; Kebo was death.

His wife cries loudly, so did her two children. However, no body cared of them.


Chapter 7

Ken Dedes wasn’t so sad concerning the husband dieing. The most important of her that the authority of Tumapel is hers, because of she was ex wife of Regent.

She led funeral ceremonial of her husband. While Ken Arok followed as her guard.

One Month later on, Ken Dedes married with Ken Arok. No body comment or gave opine concerning the matter. They just said, “Ken Arok is appropriate to be her husband because he has caught the murderer of her husband.”

More than that, Ken Arok be able to rule the Tumapel District, as substitution of Akuwu Tunggul Ametung. He’s lucky husband. Now, he is Akuwu of Tumapel.

Is that planning of God? Might be Lohgawe was right, when he said that Ken Arok could become a King from the first career as Akuwu of Tumapel District.

There were so many victims as sacrifice in Ken Arok’s struggel to reach his career.
They were Empu Gandring, Sawunggaling, Tunggul Ametung and the last, Kebo Ijo. All of the victims of sacrifices were dead, stabbed with the same keris; That is Empu Gandring keris.
Perhaps, the curse of Empu Gandring is in progress.

Meanwhile, people of Tumapel District are happy and satisfied because the new ruler is a wise, smart and energetic to make people wealthy.

People of Tumapel become prosperous since trade activity increased.
Even Ken Arok rebuilt the Harbor at Tuban seashore. By then the Country had changed toward Nautical Country from agriculture Country.

Surprising, many people from Kediri City have moved on to Tumapel.
The reason of them is unclear. Perhaps King Kertajaya unwise or foolish to rule his people.

Ken Dedes delivered a male baby. She gives name Anusapati. He is son of Tunggul Ametung, however Ken Arok family keep the matter as secret.
Ken Dedes asked to every body who have known her secret, not to tell her son that he is son of Tunggul, but son of Ken Arok.

Anusapati grew become a healthy boy. He is a clever, diligent and searcher boy; He likes to search something interesting .
He loved his stepfather since he din’t know who Ken Arok really is.
He also likes wandering with his friends to everywhere.

Not so long, Ken Dedes delivered a male baby; he is son of Ken Arok. His named Mahisa Wongateleng.

Anusapati happy to have brother. He didn’t know that his brother has different father than that of his. However, he loved his little brother.

Ken Arok is happy too. Nevertheless, he remembered the curse of Empu Gandring that saying the son will die because of stabbing with Empu’s keris.

The political condition at Kediri Kingdom become chaos. Many people disappointed with their King, the King Kertajaya. Because of the King Kertajaya had declared himself as God. He asked his people to pay homage every day to him, not to Goddess.

People of Brahman Caste are very angry to the King. The Hindu Priests become rebels against the King’s authority. They gathered, moved and asked Ken Arok as their leader to launched rebellion against Central of authority at Kediri.
Tumapel District become Head Quarter of rebellion. Many people from Kediri had come to join the rebels.

One of the Hindu Priest asked Ken Arok, “Ken Arok, you are more appropriate to be a King than that King Kertajaya. Would you be our leader to dismiss our King at Kediri?”

“I agreed with your struggle; Then I will join into your group.
However, am I appropriate to be your leader?
Is there another man who more appropriate than me?”

“There any one, just you.”

“Thank you for you have trusted on me.
Let us prepare our power to attack the Kediri Palace.”

Ken Arok led the people power to attack the King Kertajaya at Kediri.
He was successfully won at war and then he crowned to be a King.
While, King Kertajaya was death.

Ken Arok changes the Kingdom’s name,then the name is Singosari Kingdom.
He and his family moved to Kediri City and lived at Kediri Palace, left Tumapel Palace.

Ken Arok is a King now.
Is that God planning as Lohgawe has told him? Perhaps yes it is.
But he deny Lohgawe saying that he was God, “I am not God, but ex- hoodlum.”

As time goes on there were cruel between Ken Arok and his wife because Ken Arok has another woman as his mistress.

The family became unhappy when Ken Arok has another woman, name Ken Umang. Ken Dedes was disappointed and angry to her husband.

However, a King always has mistress as his tradition; That is the reason of Ken Arok to marry again.

Not so long, the Mistress got pregnant and then she delivered a male baby, who has named Panji Tohjaya. Tohjaya grew became a healthy boy.

(To be continued)
Posted by Satoto Kusasi at 11:44 PM
0 comments:

No comments: