Monday, September 7, 2009

The Legend of Tumenggung Wiranegara (Part 1)

Retold by Satoto Kusasi


Proloque

It happened at Makasar in the year 1675, The mob of slaves walked gathering in sad, sorrow and pain emotion; they also feel thirsty and hungry and suffering much pain of their wounded. Their foots tied by chain of iron that conected to each other slave’s foot. The leg has becoming scratch, bloody and finnaly produced pus. The slaves were really pity, sadness and sorrow.

Now they were going down disembarking from a ship, be guarded by Dutch soldiers furiously. The soldier has no hasitate to lash their back with whip.

One of them was a young man from Bali who had been caught by Dutch armies and forced him into a mob of slaves. “What was wrong with me? What’s wrong my Mom? What’s wrong my Dady? And what’s wrong my Nation Country? I have never do mistake with them.

“Because of they won conquering my Country and then they have right to make us becoming slaves; it is not fair” The young man from Bali thought.

“Oh Goddess Dewa Batara, please give me power, strength and stiffen soul to face our enemies, the scoundrel soldiers of Dutch” The young man prayed.


Chapter 1

Java Island has been occupying by Dutch defeater as their colony since 1602. They made a Corporation, name VOC (Veernegnide Oost Indische Compagnie); the large Company that the Dutch Governmet have given them license to make war, peace, agreement, take taxes, do judgment and running law and also many others of permit to make VOC could survive and rich.

The Dutch VOC made sattlement at Batavia as their Capital City. The name of the City before was Sunda Kelapa and had changed became Jayakarta and changed again to Batavia.

Now they worry that might the other defeater from Europe as British and Portuguese will occupy other part of Nusantara, especially eastern part of Nusantara. That is why they occupied Makasar City and will make fortification and road as effort to fight and protect against British attacking.

Kapten Van Beber will establish those things as his responsibility. Therefore, Kapten needs more and cheap workers, that must be slaves. By then VOC send him four hundred slaves to Makasar. One slave among of those slaves is a man from Bali whose name is Putu Meja.

Many slaves dead because of heavy job, starvation and malaria disease that suffered upon them. They want to run away from that bad disaster but they fear because the Dutch soldiers guarded tightly and furiously.

However, Putu Meja wants to escape eagerly, “Hi friends, let us run away to escape going into forest for shake of your freedom. As we know; we right to have liberty as human; no one can forbid us going to be free. So, let us go, follow me!”

La Monde, the old slave said, “Hi young men, let you go following Putu Meja! However, I will left behind since I want to die at this place.”

Putu gazed at La Monde, “Every body will die, where ever the dieing will take place. However, we should have dignity to die. If you die shot by Dutch soldier in fair fighting then you will have your dignity.”

Many of his friends thought Putu is right and they agreed to escape with Putu Meja.

Once in the midnight, Putu Meja with ten of his friends run away for escaping go into forest. Their effort to find freedom will almost achievement, however, Kapten Van Beber woke up from his sleeping and run after them with his soldiers.

“Putu! The Dutch soldiers have followed us!” His friend shouted.

“You have your chance to go to be free; now go! Go! Run! Run! I will face those scoundrel Dutch alone.” Putu said.

Ten slaves run crossing the heavy stream river to the other bank of the river; they will have their freedom happily. They shout, “Thank you Putu!”

Not so long, Kapten Van Beber came with his soldiers.

“Hi you Bali man, where are they? Where your friends have gone?” Kapten Van Beber asked.

“They have gone away to left direction.” Putu said, pointed left, but actually the slaves has gone to right direction.

Kapten Van Beber gave sign to his soldier to run after the slaves to wrong direction.

“Hi Bali man, you are the leader of all your friends, right?”

“Yes I am, we are longing of freedom, therefore we run away to escape. If you’ve moved to near me then I will stab you with my blade.”

“Before you stab me, I will shoot you with my pistol.”

“Go ahead! That what’s I want to; I want to die. Better dieing than survive as a slave.”

Van Beber still needs Putu because Putu is strong and diligent to work hard. Therefore he didn’t want to kill him.

After a while, his soldiers came back without result, “Sir, no one in the forest.”

“You are lying. I ask you, where is your friends?” Kapten said to Putu.

“I tod you. Your soldiers should learn how to find footstep in the forest.”

“Catch him!”

Ten soldiers surrounded Putu Meja. One of them went first to Putu, conceited. He captured Putu, however, putu stab his blade onto soldier’s arm; the blood spout from the wound.

Nine soldiers rush to help; one gave hit on Putu’ back head; the other punch on front head. Putu fainted, fell down to earth. They dragged Putu toward Van Beber.”

“Put him into jail! He was trouble maker. I don’t need him anymore. Take him away.”

They carried Putu in a litter, went toward camp. They reached camp in early in the morning. Mean while Putu still unconcious.

A man watched Putu Meja who still unconscious on the litter, “This slave is good for us, let us buy him.”

Meneer Van Moore approached Van Beer and asked, “Will you sell your slave? If so, I will buy”.

“Yes I will.”

Then the transaction has done and Kapten Van Beer glad to sell the ‘trouble maker’.

“Where am I now” Putu asked, he concious already. He look at white skinned man in front, but he was another man, not Kapten Van Beber.

The man look at his friend the Native, as if he ask what the slave saying, since he can’t speak Bahasa Indonesia. The native communicated in Dutch language with the white skinned to discuss the slave.

“Hi friend, now you have been sold as slave and the buyer is Meneer Van Moore, therefore your new Master is Meneer Van Moore. You will go traveling to Batavia as your new home town.” The Native said.

“Thank you friend. You are gracious; you are the first man that want to be polite when speak to me. Oh Goddess Dewa Batara, thank you that you have sent this man to me. Any way, what is your name?”

“My name is Matius Makara. I work as employee in his Company as Secretary.”


Chapter 2

There is a big house with wide grasses garden and many big trees. The address is Jaga Monyet street, near Harmonie, the central City of Batavia. The owner of this house is Meneer Van Moore. He was merchant.

Four young children played in the garden, while a woman sat on a long chair under a tree, with a book in her hands; she must be their mother. A young pretty girl whose name Suzzane is the eldest daughter of her.

“Hi look! our father come home” Hansye said.

A carriage came and stop in front the gate. Meneer Van Moore went down, came near the children. Suzzane kissed his father’s cheek first; and then the other three of her brother follow to kiss their father. Finnaly, Mrs Van Moore came and to kiss her husband. They look a happy family.

After that, Matius Makara and Putu Meja went down from the carriage. Putu Meja is a new comer for that house member.

The father sit on a chair with a bottle of beer at beside; he relax and enjoy his warm family that surrouded him. His children want to know the news of his trip.

Mrs Van Moore warned her children, not disturb their father since he tired. “Please give time for your father being relax for a while.”

After a while, the youngest asked his father, “Father, what was your gift for us that you brought from trip.”

“Yes I have brought you a beautiful fruit from Celebes; you must know that. Hansye, would you take my bag in my room, please.”

Meneer Van Moore opened the bag and took some fruits. “Look! This fruit flavor sweet and acidic; I think it would be good for making fruit syrup for drinks. The Native people of Celebes did not know how to use it and making benefit of that fruit. Therefore they throw away the fruit.

“What is the name of this fruit?” Suzzane asked.

“Matius, what you call the fruit is?” Meneer asked Matius

“I don’t know. That is just forest fruit, no name.”

“So, I will give name for that beautiful fruit. The name is ‘Marquizza’. And I will do my plan to produce Marquizza syrup in my factory; put up for sale and sell abroad to Europe.”

“Wow that would be good plan of yours. Any way, you also brought a man of inhabitant, who is he? What his name is?” Suzzane asked.

Meneer Van Moore keep silent for a moment, “I forgot asking his name, but I can give him a name. Yes, his name is ‘Untung’. Untung is mean luck and I hope my family will always being lucky because his name Untung.” Meneer thought.

“His name is Untung.” Meneer Van Moore said finnaly.

“Untung what? What the last name is?”

“Just Untung, no last name.”

Mean while, Putu Meja was alone at back house. He mused, “What would be about my fate after I have a new Master. Is he also despicable? The same as Van Beber? Oh Goddess Dewa Batara, please save me, come down to Earth and help me please.”

Matius Makara came, approached him, “Hi friend, I am sorry that I forgot asking your name? What is your name ?”

“I don’t want to answer you since I always being doubtful to every one as if he or she would torture on me.”

“I hope I am not include in your mind, believe me that I am truthful to you.”

“Yes you are. I believe on you. My name is Putu Meja.”

“How are you to day Putu Meja.”

“Bad, every day is bad for me. However, I put my hoping on you Matius since you are a good man. I like the way you speak and I like every word that you say to me. It make me cool to my mind and to my heart. Oh Dewa Batara, thank you so much that you have sent your beautiful creature to me, Matius Makara.

Will you be my friend Matius Makara?”

“Of course, yes I will.”

Putu Meja approached and hugged his friend tightly.” I hope you want to hear every sadness and happiness feeling of my mine and on the contrary I will also hearing you.”

“Yes I want to. Any way, Meneer Van Moore gave a new name for you. Would you accept your new name?”

“A slave must obey to his Master, that was me as a slave. So, what he want to call me?”

“Untung”

“That would be good of name and I will accep it. Say thank you to Meneer Van Moore and send my best regard to him.”

“No, you are no more slave. You are a free man, you can go to every where that you want to go, no body forbid you. Because Meneer Van Moore had paid for your freedom.”

“Wow! Thank you very much Meneer Van Moore. I believe that my new name will make me happy. I will use that name, Untung; and I will throw away the old name, Putu Meja, because that old name make me being unlucky .”

“You have your job in this house. That is making available water, cleaning the yard and the house and so on. I think it is more easy than making fortification in Makasar.”

“Yes you right. My leg will never tie again. And I believe I will have my food.”

“Of course you will have your food. Last but not least, you also will pay as your salary.”

“Wow, surprise! I want to shout to reveal my happiness to people of village that I am a free man, I have a new name Untung and I have my salary. Then I want to say thank you to my Master, Meneer Van Moore.”


Chapter 3

VOC have good opportunity to expand their trade, not only spices but also another product as fruits for example. That had happened when Van Moore produced Marquizza syrup for drink as one of export product to Europe. That thing is good demand up for sale He also produced Surrzak syrup and many other fruit. Then Meneer Van Moore became more wealthy.

“I believe my slave, si Untung make me lucky. I am lucky buying that slave from Van Beber.”

Van Moore wants to every member of his staffs could speak Dutch language, included every person in his house. Matius Makara now has a new Job as teacher to teach Dutch Language.

Untung included as pupil in a class of Dutch language at home. Therefore, three inhabitants were in a room to learn Dutch language, they are Matius Makara as teacher, Untung and Lukman as pupil. Untung learnt seriously. Lukman worked as chef that’s why he need to speak Dutch to communicate with Mrs. Van Moore.

Suzzane searched Untung curiously; she thought, “He is handsome native man that I have known. I want to know him and be acquainted. No body forbid me, even though he is a native man.”

She went into the class and smiled to every body, “Good afternoon everybody.”

“Good afternoon to you too.” Matius Makara said. Untung and Lukman watched Suzzane, a pretty Dutch lady, daughter of Meneer Van Moore.

Untung and Lukman can speak Dutch Language at that time, but not fluently.

“ Are you Untung? Can I be acquainted you, Untung?”
Untung look at Matius as if asking what she meant or perhaps he surprised. Matius Makara explain to Untung, “She asked you what your name is; and she want to be acquainted to you, will you?”

“My name Untung. Of course I will, miss Suzzane.” Untung said in Dutch language hesitated.

Suzzane give her hands to Untung and then both of them shaking hands. Untung surprised and happy; how a lady of Dutch wants to be friend, it is surprise and strange.

Matius Makara said, “Suzzane your coming to our class make us surprise. However, we could get advantage that you can help me as teacher. You can talk directly to my pupil in Dutch language then it would be practiced talking. Will you help me, Suzzane?”

“With pleasure Matius, I will.” Suzzane said.

“And how about you Untung? Do you want to?” Matius asked.

“Yes I do” Untung said.

“Untung, do you want to be my partner and more than just a partner?” Suzzane asked.

“What? You mean lover?” Untung asked as his reply

“Yes, it is right.”

Untung astonishing, he mused, “How this pretty lady surrender in my arm. Don’t you be conceited Untung, as if Dewa Batara warned him not be proud to accept the pretty lady.”

Finnaly he answered, “Yes, I love you Suzzane, with all my heart.”

“Stop! Dutch language course has finish to day. Remember, I didn’t include into your business; I mean your love affair; no love affair in this class. I just want to say Suzzane as your partner for talking Dutch language, not love partner.” Matius Makara said in anger appearance.

Both declared themself as lover; and then they always together in happiness, but not in the class. They talk in Dutch Language and in Bahasa too; they laugh and cry to share their happiness and sadness.

Meneer Van Moore didn’t know what had happened in his house since he spent his time in his office more than that in his house. Mrs Van Moore also didn’t know or perhaps pretending didn’t know.

However, Matius Makara really disagreed the love affair. He predicted Meneer Van Moore will angry when he had known.

“I have to give my suggestion to my friend, other wise Untung would be in jeopardy to death.” Matius thought.

In ones of a good moment, he approached Untung, alone, “Untung, my friend; I want to tell you concerning your lover, Suzzane. I hope you didn,t mind since it is an important mater.”

“Yes please, what do you want to tell me.”

“Please, don’t get miss Suzzane as your lover, other wise you will get trouble. I told you as a friend. Did you remember that I am your friend and we will share to feel together every sadness and happiness.”

“What is the reason?” Look, I am happy and Suzzane too; both of us are happy. We hope you should be happy too, because we will share our happiness, right?”

“Yes we share our happiness, but the reason is you are native man and Suzzane is Dutch girl, that’s all.”

“Who forbid our relation then?”

“Her father, her mother and also her Nation.”

“Her Nation? Huh! When they came to my Kingdom, Klungkung Kingdom in Bali, the Dutch soldiers rape and married many women of my village. More than that, they captured on me and force me to be a slave.

Now, I want to marry their girl with love and reserved , then they refuse me. Is that a fair game? I hate the Dutch.”

“You hate the Dutch, so you must also hate Suzzane, right?”

Untung keep silent for a moment. Matius Makara as if hit his chin with his word. Finnaly he answered, “Matius, we should choose persons in this World, who could be friends and who could not be friends or enemies; what ever his or her Nation.

“I know you; do you want to say that you love suzzane very much, right?”

“Yes I do, I loved suzzane very much. However, I hate Kapten Van Beber and his soldiers; they have insulted our Nation; they have stepped disregard our soil. I promise, will kill all that men, count up my word!”

Matius Makara fear, frightened hearing Untung’s promising. Seems he could do his promise sometimes in future.

“Do you have soldiers with gun each as same as VOC has? Do you have authority to do your promise?’ Matius Makara asking with mock face.

Untung keep silent for a moment. After a while, he prayed, “Oh Dewa Batara the Goddess, give me authority, give me Army with full of weapon each my soldiers.”

Both of them mused in each of his mind. They keep silent for a moment, thinking their each Nations, Maluku and Bali. Finnaly, Matius Makara stood up, hugged Untung tightly.

“Hi, what kind of hugged is?” Untung asked.

“Yes you right Untung, now I realized that my Nation needed our helping. My loyalist feeling had been woken up because of your word and your praying. So we must do struggling to chase the conqueror away.

“Matius, you would be better stay with Meneer Van Moore as employee. You could learn his skill to get money, then you and I will established our Large Nation, Nusantara. Concerning my self, I will at battlefield to kill scoundrel Dutch soldiers, as my promise. Nevertheless, Meneer Van Moore is a good man that we respected, no mater his Nation.”

“You are wrong my friend, Meneer Van Moore is bad; even worst than that Kapten Van Beber. So, you are in Jeopardy by nearing Suzzane as your lover; as if you played with a baby lion, while the mother lion is going hunting. When mother lion came to its nest, then you will be pounce and bite off furiously.

Therefore, you must remember my adviced to you. Please, you promise to me on behalf of your Dewa Batara, don’t go near Suzzane.”

Untung keep silent for a moment and finnaly said with low voice, “Yes I will.”

To be continued

No comments: