Monday, September 7, 2009

The Legend of Tumenggung Wiranegara (Part 2)

Retold by Satoto Kusasi


Chapter 4

VOC’s trade has been decreasing since one month ago, because the Company have new competitor which was growing up. It was Banten Kingdom at western. Banten Harbor became crowded with many ships come and go. The trader not only native but also British, Portuguese, China and Arabian; that bought spices then brought to Europe and Middle East. Even the Pinisi ships of Makasar brought nutmeg, clove and pepper from Maluku straight to Banten Harbor; they never embark at Sunda Kelapa Harbor, the VOC owner.


So did Van Moore’s company; his company will collapse because of no more buyer.

VOC got his planning to attack Banten Kingdom as military war attack. The competitor must be eliminated other wise VOC would be bankrupt. Then the defeat Kindom must pay tribute and their people aspecially their leader, have to be caught and forced to be slaves; as Putu Meja’s experience.

Therefore, Meneer Van Moore spend his time at home, no more often stay at his office. Suzzane will often stay with her father at home; that could make trouble and difficulty for her. She knows that her father will disagreed with her, concerning her relationship with Untung. Therefore, both lover have to divide for a moment, but not broken.

Untung has good moment to leave Suzzane as Matius’s advice. However, Suzzane didn’t want to be left as her feeling say that Untung wants to. Therefore, she always cry at midnight, how she love Untung very much.

Seems Meneer Van Moore still didn’t know the love affair at his home.

Matius Makara always keep on watching the attitude of both lover; he glad that Untung has done his advice and Suzzane looked unsatisfaction to face Untung.

Matius said again to Untung, “Remember my advice; now the mother lion had come home; I am afraid the lion would pounch you if you have continued your love affair.”

However, the class of Dutch language still going on, and even Untung and Lukman became more diligent to learn. Suzzane became unrest because Untung didn’t give notice to her.

The house of Meneer Van Moore is located near forest. People say that the forest is eerie or ghostly. Untung has a room alone near that forest, disconnect with main house. Untung often hear strange sound from the forest, perhaps the ghost sound. At the front house, there is a little cabin for guarding. People often say joking that the duty guard just for guarding monkey (= jaga monyet) That’s why the area call ‘Jaga Monyet’

Once mid night, there a sound of crying woman, seems it come from the forest. Untung heard and tried not to care by plug his ear with pilow.

“The sound is real sound of a woman; I think it is real, not ghost.” Untung thought.

He turned down from his bed, tip-toe walking toward the source of sound at window and said, “Hi night lady, who are you? Why did you cry?”

“Untung my lover, Iam Suzzane your lover, how I longing for you. Can I come into your room, please?”

“Yes you can.” Untung opened the window, gave his hand and lift her body into his room.

No other person in that room, just Untung and Suzzane. Both hugged and kissed passionately. No word to reveal, just wheeze and huff sound from both of creature that thirsty to make love.

After they satisfied, Suzzane came back to her room via window.

In the next morning, everything is going well. That is mean everything is safe; any one has seen Suzzane’s act. Even Suzzane looked happy appearance, more happy than yesterday. Seems no body could detach their love, except or might Goddess, Dewa Batara.

At night, Untung mused, “I have to marry her, what ever the obstacle in front of us, other wise Goddess Dewa Batara could angry to me and then disaster will hit on me. But how to marry her formally? Shall we do the ceremonial in a Church or in a Hindu temple? No, it would be an impossible thing to do.

Oh Dewa Batara, will you give your sharing thought to me please; what can I do? I know you will be angry and give your punishment to me since I have sin.”

Lukman is an obedient Muslim. He pray every day, five times a day. “Perhaps Lukman could help me with his spiritual way; better I will ask him to help me.” Untung thought.

In one occasion, Untung aproached Lukman to talk about spiritual mater. Finnaly Untung said, "Can I follow you to meet your Islam teacher, I interested with your religious.”

“You welcome; I will arrange you to meet my Uztad (Uztad=Islam teacher), but after you have finished your duty in this house, remember that!”

“Yes I will.”

Two young men went to Uztad Haji Mat Toha. His place is five Kilo meter far distance from Van Moore’s house.

“Assalamualaikum Pak Haji, to day I brought you a new pupil, his name is Untung.”

“Thank you! You welcome Untung. Have you ever read Quran before?”

“Never, even I am not Muslim.”

“So, do you want to be Muslim.”

“Yes I do.” Untung approached Haji Mat Toha and want to hug; However, Lukman forbid him, “You just kiss his hand, not to hug”

Untung read syahadat two times, then he declared himself as Muslim.

After the ceremonial, Untung and Lukman go to Uztad regulary, two times in a week. Untung is diligent pupil in Uztad class as well as in Matius class. Meneer Van Moore has no objection concerning Untung’s new activity; even he glad that his employee will be honest man by then.

Times goes on; day by day, week by week and month by month. One day, Haji Mat Toha openned his class as usual. However, a new member of the class is a woman that brought by Untung. He looked surprise that the woman is a Dutch girl. She is Suzzane with Muslimah dress.

Untung said, “To day I brought you a new member of the class, Uztad; her name is Suzzane; she is my lover.”

“What you say? Your lover? Are you crazy Untung? No one inhabitant young man could be so near with a Dutch lady even more being his lover; if so, then he could be in jeopardy since Dutch soldier will catch him and kill him; believe me! I am not kidding.

Therefore, I adviced you not to marry this girl; the girl can make disaster that will hit on you and Suzzane too. Please, release her, you can choose native girl to be your lover, among of us; it would be safe.”

Haji Mat Toha’s father was a soldier of Mataram Kindom when the King was Sultan Agung. His father refused going home to Mataram even though Sultan’s Army had been defeated by VOC. His father said to his son that the war against Dutch still going on, and his son has to continue the war.

Not suppose, Suzzane can be able to explain in bahasa Melayu concerning her problem with Untung, “Please be calm Uztad. What ever be happened, we will be responsible. I want to be married with Untung and I ask you to be our judge. So Please help us!”

Haji Mat Toha more surprising when heard Suzzane’s talking in Bahasa Melayu fluently and clearly; more even, she straight wants to be married, not to be pupil; it is surprising.

“You say that you just want to learn not to marry.”

Untung gave his sharing talk, “We mean that before married, Suzzane can read syahadat to be Muslimah. Can you? Our position as a formal family being needed; that could make us safe in society and no one could forbid us being together at every where.”

“If you insist on me then I will do.” Haji Mat Toha said finnaly.

Suzzane read syahadat two times, and then she became Muslimah. After that, they do “Ijab kabul” and Untung gave some things to Suzzane as ‘Mahar’ All that ceremonial was lead by Haji Mat Toha and Lukman as a witness.

They become a family as officially. Suzzane grab her husband want to kiss him. However, Lukman forbid her, “Please don’t do that, you can just kiss his hand.”

Suzzane looked her husband affectionately, so do Untung. Both of them were happy.

After the ceremonial over, the happy couple ask permit for going home. Haji Mat Toha guided the couple until the fence.

Lukman is following when Haji stopped him, “Please stay with me for a moment; I want to talk with you.”

“Untung, will you wait for a moment since Uztad wan to talk with me?” Lukman asked.

“Ok, no problem”

Uztad said to Lukman softly, “Don’t come home to Meneer Van Moore; please stay at my home for one or two days. I am not sure concerning their fate would be; seems they will have big trouble because Meneer Van Moore will get angry.”

“But I am not include in their business; I am just want to help them.”

“You have included and even you will also get trouble, believe me!”

After a while, Lukman talked to both lover that he can’t go home along with them since he want to spent his time at Haji’s home.


Chapter 5

A day after married ceremonial, everything at Meneer Van Moore is calm and going well. The couple estimated Suzzane’s parent still didn’t know or might be they had known but agreed with their marrying.

Suddenly, ten soldiers rush to Untung, captured, tied his hand and push him into farm cart.

“Hi what was going on?. What kind of mistake that I have done?” Untung shouted.

A fat man with mustache, hands in his waist and eyes protrude gave a sign that is mean, go into jail. He can’t speak bahasa Melayu; he can’t reveal his anger with any word; that is why he just give a sign. However, he forgot that Untung can be able to speak Dutch Language since he has learnt.

Untung shouted to Meneer Van Moore, in Dutch language, “Meneer, please don’t hurt my wife. Suzzane is my wife. I loved her with all my heart.”

However, Meneer Van Moore didn’t care.

The jail is particular jail that spend bad and worst hoodlum as murderer, pirate, robber, rebel, bad politician, theft and others. That is the jail for Untung who will spend his time without do justice.

Every new member has to promise as freshman by big Boss. “Hi you, massage my muscle!” The Boss asked to Untung.

Untung approached the Boss and asked pretending brainless, “What for?”

“Hi, decomposed monkey, you will disobey? You want to fight me?” Boss hit Untung’s nose. Untung fell down and got bleeding from his nose. However, Untung quick got up and kicked the enemy’s stomach at sudden. The Boss fell down. Before Boss getting up, again Untung gave another kick straight upon his head. Boss fainted; he didn’t move again.

Untung took an iron look like a knife in the Boss’s pocket. Untung predicted that he would revenge with this weapon.

Untung shouted, “Who will be the next victim? Who wants to fight me?”

A fat man said, “I will be your opponent, my name is Gendut Raja Begal. I am really Raja (=King) and then you will be my Patih (=Prime ministry), will you?”

“You are more gracious than that of your friend, I like your approach. If you can able to defeat me then I will be your Patih; but if you lose then I will be your King, OK?”

Gendut ready to fight. He said, “OK! I am ready.”

“Will you use weapon? If so, then one of us will die.” Untung asked; he hold the iron that look like knife

“No! I don’t want to use weapon.”

Untung moved in circle movement surrounding Gendut. Gendut’s position must be change every time to face Untung; it is difficult for Gendut for moving because of his weight. Untung moved faster and faster; suddenly he kicked Gendut’s leg. Gendut fell down on earth, and Untung kicked again his stomach, quickly. Gendut feel pain and got vomiting.

“I surrendered, so you are a King and I am Patih. Hi friends, if you want to challange fight against the freshman, please go on. If you win then you will be a King.” Gendut said.

Any one wants to; they just kept silent. They thought, “How I can be able to fight against the freshman that in fact Gendut as our top rank had been defeated,”

Untung needs to speak for his success, “Gentlemen! My name is Untung. I want you to know that I am not guilty. They should not push me into jail. They never judge me, so I want to ask you, who is wrong and who is right? They, whose push me into jail must be wrong, right?

Do you have similar experience the same as mine?

A prisoner said, “Yes I have. I didn’t know what’s the mistake of mine, I never do mistake.”

Another prisoner said, “They push me into jail three years, but I didn’t know what’s my mistake. In my opinion, because of we are native people then no need to do justice; law just for white skinned; there is no law for native people.

All the prisoner shouted, “ Damned you Dutch men! We hate you!”

Suddenly a Dutch soldier approached the compartment, Hi, what happen? You always make noise! “ He spoke in Dutch language, seems he can not be able to speak Melayu.

The prisoner became silent in a minute, like pupils in the class fear to their teacher.

Untung went toward the guard of prisoner and said in Dutch language politely, “Good afternoon Meneer, how are you to day?”

The Dutch guard has no answer. But he interested, “How a native man can be able to speak Dutch, it is strange.”

He brought many keys in his pocket.

Again Untung tried once more, “I am a shaman that could read your fait. Can I read your future fait Meneer?”

The prisoner guard became interested. He gave his smile to Untung, “Yes I do, please.”

“Now, I want you to show your palm hands, right and left hand please.”

The guard gave his hands throught the iron fence to Untung. Untung hold his hand and utter pray in Bali Language; it is true praying utter as Hindu Priest had ever tauch to Untung. However, in the middle of the utter pray, he change it to bahasa Melayu, “You must stab his body with my knife in my pocket, quick, quick.” Untung gave sign with his eyes to his friend at beside

Then Untung pull the Guard’s hand as hard as he can. The man at beside knew what is Untung meant, he take the knife in Untung’s pocket and stab the Guard’s somach and chest again and again. The guard groan and then death at sudden.

Untung took a group of keys from Guard’s pocket. He chose a key that its number is the number of his compartment. Then he oppened the iron gate. Everybody has demand eagerly to run escape, so they make noise.

Untung spoke to make calm, “Hi friends, Do you remember that I am your King and Gendut your Patih? You told me not I do. If so then we are a solid team because you are my people that must be obey to me. I ask you as a King, not be sparated since we are a solid team.

I command you not to make noise, make it usual, everything is running normaly. Let us go to their office and fight that scoudrel Dutch.

Suddenly a guard soldier appeared with a long gun in his hand; he shoot and one prisoner fell down. Now he busy to pour gun powder, bullet and so on for the next shooting. But before he finish, some prisoners caught him, stab with his knife, and he death.

There are three other Dutch guard in the office. They were surprising when a mob of prisoners came into at sudden. The Dutch not ready to fight, ten prisoner caught them easily and killed them. Untung and his friends rob every thing in that office, guns, swords, blades, bullet, money and some jewelry. One make it down the picture of Governor VOC, emblem of VOC and Dutch flag. They burnt those things.

“Its enough! Don’t waste your time! Let us go to horse-stall and take their horses!” Untung gave his command.

The prisoners run away escape riding horses and few of them run since the horses not enough for them; Although every horse for two men.

“Hi Gendut, how many our soldiers?”

“More than one hundred my Lord.”

“That’s good! So, where we want to go?”

“To my village, Mataraman Village at eastern.”

“Very good! Let’s go!”

Kapten Van Ruys must be blame for his serious mistake. Now he got trouble. His boss was angry then he gave command to run after those prisoners where ever they are.

After run away two hours, the prisoners and Untung came to Mataraman Village. That was the territory of Gendut Raja Begal with his gang.

Gendut claim himself as a King in this village and his people approved that he was their leader. Every people in Batavia knew that Maraman Village region is not safe for traveling, because Gendut usualy rob every traveler, especialy the Dutch people.

Until Gendut has been caught by Dutch soldiers and push him into jail. However, he got his wisdom in the jail that he has a new boss, Untung. He admired Untung as his boss and he call untung ‘Lord’ Gendut believe that Untung is a good leader.

Every person came out from his house and greet their King, Gendut Raja Begal.

Mataraman Village was sattlement of Mataram’s soldiers that refuse to come home, even though they had been defeated by VOC. As we know that Sultan Agung the King of Mataram launch an attacked to Batavia against VOC; but they failed to chase the Dutch away; then Mataram’s soldiers retreat back to Kota Gede. However, some of them refuse to go home since they thought the war against VOC not finish yet; even they told to his children and grand chidren to fight against Dutch continuously.

Untung surprise to see Haji Mat Toha as well as Lukman was among of them. He came down from his horse, approached Haji and gave his greeting by kiss Haji’s hand. “Hi Uztad! Why you have been here?”

‘Mataraman is my village. I was born in this place. I want you to know that my house was burnt and my belonging was destroyed, after you left.”

“What? Who did?”

“Ask your beloved father in law directly. He and some soldiers came to my house and did vandalism upon my property.”

“Oh blast! I feel shame Haji Mat Toha. I say sorry on behalf of my father in law.”

Untung thought, remembering Matius saying, “Even worst than that Kapten Van Beber.”

After kept silence for a while, Untung asked, “Did you hear news of my wife, Suzzane?”

Lukman come out and say, “According a member of Van Moore house, she has gone to Holland. She got pregnant.”

Untung mused in sadness. His tears dropped from his eyes. He loved his wife very much. He prayed in deep heart, “ Oh Allah, why did You give Your bad temptation to me; I never do mistake to You. She is Your creature too, although she was born from a Dutch mother. However, she is Muslimah and I do no wrong to marry her since I followed the rule of Islam. Please protect her from disaster. Please make my wife be happy. Amin.”

Mean while Patih Gendut call on entire his people and soldiers, “Hi people of Mataraman, I will introduce you, our leader; he is Untung. I promote him as our King to fight VOC as our parent asked us to continue the war. Do you agree that Untung will be our King?”

“We agree! We agree! We agree” The second generation of Mataram soldiers shouted. The amount of them, more than one thousand.

Untung surprised to see so many soldiers want to support him as a King. “Patih Gendut, who are they? Why they want to be my subordinate?”

“They are people of Maraman Village, the second generation of Mataram soldiers and even the third generation. They are my subordinate and now they became your subordinate.”

Untung mused, “Oh Dewa Batara, I remembered that I have asked you authority and Army with full of weapon, in front Matius Makara. Now you answered my asking. It is wonderful and amazing, as if you are in my side and always help me; thank you God.”

Untung spoke to his new soldiers, “Gentlemen, I heard from Patih Gendut that your father had asked you to continue the war that your father had launch it against VOC, right?

The soldiers of Mataram had been defeated by VOC, but not us, the second generation. Believe me! Believe in God. InsyaAllah (=God’s willing) we could win.

Now the VOC soldiers will come soon, since we are the prisoners that had escaped from jail then they, the enemies had run after us. Now I command you to fight; are you ready to combat?”

The soldiers answered, “Ready!”

Untung, Gendut, Suromenggolo, Suro Agul Agul, Pasopati and other staffs of military Mataram soldiers, second generation, discussed how to defeat enemies.

“Where I must put my Army that the enemies could be killed easily?” Untung asked to Patih Gendut. Then every man discussed the circumstances Untung asking.

Finnaly, Patih Gendut answered, “My Lord, we can place soldiers on top of that hill. I suppose the enemies will use that road, near the hill. Then we can shoot them from top of the hill at sudden.”

Untung tried to see the hill. A soldier approached and gave a telescope to him, “My Lord, use this thing.”

“Hi, where you got this thing?”

“From Dutch office in prisoner.”

“It is good and allowable, thank you”

Finnaly, Untung gave the last command, “Just two hundred soldier will on duty, no more. All of you climb the hill with full of weapon. All of you will walk, don’t use horses. Go!”

Suromenggolo said, “I think we will better waiting for our spy’s telling concerning enemy’s coming. Because we can’t wait too long on top of the hill, right?”

“Yes you right Suromenggolo, please relax for a moment.”

After two hours waiting, a spy soldier came and gave information, “The enemies amount more than one hundred will come in next an hour; their leader is Kapten Van Ruys.”

“Now Go!” Untung commanded. He led the war.


(To be Continued)

No comments: