Monday, March 22, 2010

The Creator of Majapahit Kingdom, part 1

The creator of Majapahit Kingdom
Part 1.

Retold by Satoto Kusasi


Proloque



A young and good looking man is enjoying his beautiful holiday at a tavern in Tuban Harbor city. He is a traveler who just come from west of Java. There are many buyers at that restaurant. However, he is different from the others, since he wearied Sunda dress, drag his weapon of a ‘Kujang’ blade and archer’s bow with many arrows.

This story had happened in Singosari Kingdom, East of Java in the year 1259. The King who have been ruling at that time was King Ranggawuni. While the King was assisted by The Prime Ministry, Mahisa Cempaka.

Suddenly, the customers go out, leaving the restaurant together since a mob of hoodlum came into who want to eat. Every body knew who the hoodlum are; They are the very bad and sadistic bandits who can kill a person likes kill an ant.

So did the young man whose name is Rakeyan; He goes out and hide under the bush. He asked about the hoodlum to one of the customers, who are they?

“He is Kolo Gondo Mayit and his gang, the very bad bandit; They have robbed a house of merchant also detained daughter of the merchant. Look at the pity young lady! Can you release her from Kolo’s grasp? If you can then we will say thank you” The man asked

Rakeyan thought, “I must help the pretty young lady; I can’t ignore this violance pass in front of me. Goddess please help me to release your creature from jeopardy.” He prepare his bow and arrows.

Kolo shouted, “Hi servant! Serve us quick! We need seven plateful of food.”

Kolo hold the lady tightly since he worry that she may run away. He wants to rape the lady after he has eaten.

While his men talked and sang loudly as if no body so brave to stop their bad act. Their amount are just five persons.

Suddenly, Rakeyan came, stood in front of them with his archer’s bow and arrow in his hand.

Three arrows fly, penetrate on to bandit’s body; They are going to die at sudden.
One of them move forward with a spear in his hand, stab on to Rakeyan’s chest.

Rakeyan avoid the attack by moving back ward two steps, hold the spear and pull it; the bandit fall, face down on to the floor. Rakeyan stab the spear on to his back and he death already. While his friend run away.

Now Rakeyan will fight against Kolo in a fair duel. However, Kolo unsheated his sword then put it on to neck of the lady. He said, “If you moved forward then I will kill this lady.”

Rakeyan back ward three step; said, “Let us get a deal! You can go freely but please release that lady.”

“You have no business with my wife; She is my wife”.

Rakeyan keep silent for a moment since he has no idea to solve the problem.

The lady become faint; She collaps in Kolo’s arm. Seems she did not eat and drink as long as two days before.

Fortunately, a man come from kitchen, approache Kolo secretly from behind; He hold his blade (=keris). While Kolo unknown that there is another enemy who came at behind. The man stab his keris on to waist of Kolo. Kolo scream loudly; He got bleeding spurt out from the wound then he collaps to death.

The lady will fall down, but Rakeyan catch her in to his arm immediately; He thought, “How pretty is she. Oh God please help me to make her could belong to me.”

The people cheer up to say thanks to their hero, Rakeyan. They rush into tavern and shaking hand with Rakeyan.

The man who came from kitchen and stabbed the hoodlum chief is a soldier of Singosari Kingdom. Unfortunately, his action was hidden, therefore the people didn’t see it, so that they didn’t say thank you to the soldier.
Rakeyan approach him, shake his hand and say thank you, “Thank you for your help.”

The soldier said, “I should say thank you to you, not you; Because of I am a soldier who have duty to protect every person of Royal Family. My name is Rama. Now you can go.”

“Shall I must go? Any way, can I ask you; Who the lady is?”
’She is Dyah Lembu Tal, daughter of Mahisa Cempaka, the Prime Ministry.’

“Wow...No wonder she is beautiful since she is a member of Royal Family. And then who the victim of Kolo.?”

“The merchant who has been robbed by Kolo is Mahisa Cempaka. OK that is my explanation to you; I hope it would be enough; Now you can go.” Rama said.

“OK I will go; Good bye every body, untill we meet again.” Rakeyan said

Rakeyan walked on the road toward a market; Drag along his feet and mused, “How conceited that soldier is. But I wonder what was his reason? I just met him for the first time;..............Yes I knew....the reason is jealously of him because I have kept the lady in my arms when she fell down from Kolo’s arm. Dyah Lembu Tal! You are proper to be a target for many young men, struggling seize you, because of your lovely.”

The market crowded; Many people got their business, included one of the robber who run away from the tavern. He is selling his result to the buyer of stollen goods.
Rakeyan still known him. He approach the robber, “Hi you! Stop your business because the goods is illegal! You are Kolo Gondo Mayit’s man, confess!”
The robber frightened since he knew Rakeyan is a good fighter.

Rakeyan seized the jewelery, tied the robber’s arm and brought him to Mahisa Cempaka’s home.

“Now I have my reason to come to your home, Dyah. I hope you will accept my arrival.”

Chapter 1


The Prime Ministry of Singosari Kingdom is Mahisa Cempaka. His house at edge of City. The site of his house is suitable for robbery, therefore Kolo Gondo Mayit has easy maner to rob his house.

Mahisa Cempaka and family should live in the Palace. He has Kingdom facility to live in the Palace because of he is Prime Ministry. However, he likes to stay in his own home. He has other reason to refuse the Kingdom facility as King generous.

Another reason was because of his father advice. His father has ever said, “Son, don’t you ever want to be a King or a leader of Community; Even using Kingdom facility . I like that you could be a merchant.”

“Why?” Mahisa asked.

“I knew you are the Grandson of King Ken Arok, therefore you have your chance to be a King of Singosari Kingdom. I myself as your father refused to be a King and I don’t want to involve in political affair in Singosari Kingdom.

I frustrated to see many murderers and assassination that had happened in this Country. The first assassination had happened that hit upon Tunggul Ametung while the murderer was your own Grandpa, King Ken Arok. The second was the assassination of King Ken Arok by King Anusapati. The third was the assassination of King Anusapati by Panji Tohjaya. Panji Tohjaya was son of King Ken Arok from mistress. The last, the assassination of Panji Tohjaya by King Ranggawuni, the King that has been ruling now.

I knew you; King Ranggawuni asked you to be Prime Ministry because of you had served him to eliminate Panji Tohjaya. Therefore you have involved in political affair in Singosari Kingdom.

Mahisa Wongateleng, father of Mahisa Cempaka has conclusion, ‘Son, I concluded that a King in this Country always being threatened. The Palace in which the King occupied is a place of muder that would happen.

Therefore, I want to advice you and my grandson too, not involve in political affair in this Country.

“Father, did you think, King Ranggawuni would be killed in the next assassination in his Palace?”

“I don’t think so, but who knows? The political situation in our Country was unbalanced since so many people got frustration that they want to be a ruler.”

“Thank you father”

Chapter 2


Meanwhile, Mahisa Cempaka sick since he has been tortured by Kolo Gondo Mayit. He got some wound and fever too.

Rama came back, brought Dyah Lembu Tal back with good news, “Master, I brought your daughter back home safely; I also can kill the robbers successfuly.”

“Wow....It was surprising, seems to me that you are a divine man. Will you tell me how you can defeat Kolo Gondo Mayit and his gang. Is there some one else who has helped you?”

“No, I fought by myself. I shot with arrows three robbers of them then they were going to die. One of them step forward with spear in his hand. I hold his spear, pull it then the robber fall down. I stab onto his back with his spear, he death. The other robber run away, I don’t know where he goes.

The last enemy is Kolo himself. I stab with my keris and he death then I seize your daughter safely.”

“Amazing! I will give you your salary and bonus; That will be a lot of money. Thank you so much Rama. You are actually a real fighter. I am wrong to have valued on you as low opinion concerning your capability to fight; I am sorry.”

Rama thought, “I don’t need your money but your daughter. Please choose me as your son in law.”

Meanwhile a guard approach Mahisa and whish, “A guest is waiting at front door who said that he brought the stolen goods and capture one of the robbers too.”

“What you say?” Rama asked the guard.

The guard didn’t answer.

Rama erect from his chair, goes to veranda and look at the guest. The man who has helped him in the tavern.

Rama very angry, “I said go and don’t come back!. Why you not hear my saying!”

Rakeyan answered, “I am not your subordinate; I am a free man. I can go where ever I want to go. If you not satisfied then we will fight until one of us could die.”
Rakeyan moved into open garden yard, prepare his kujang blade and stood up in good position. While his enemy follow.

Now they will fight. Rama attacked first, stab with keris straight to Rakeyan’s stomach. Rakeyan avoid the attack by moving two steps back ward.then he make counter attack, stab straight to Rama’s chest. Rama got a little wounded, just scratch, however it was getting bleed.

“Hi stop it! I said stop it” Suddenly Mahisa Cempaka shouted. He force to stand up from his bed even though he wasn’t well yet.

“Master! Don’t hear his mention, he must be lying!” Rama said to his master.

“Rama, who my guest is? Why did you angry to him?”

“Master, my name is Rakeyan Jaya Dharma. I am a traveler that accidentally saw hoodlum who detained your daughter. Let me mention to you what has happened in the tavern.” Rakeyan said.

“I have killed Kolo Gondo Mayit, not him!” Rama said again.

“Yes I knew he has killed Kolo, not me. Therefore, we should be a good team to eliminate robbers like Kolo Gondo Mayit. Why did you angry to me?”
Rama kept silence.

“Rama! Answer his question!” Mahisa said.

“I want to seize all the merit just for me.”

“Oh...I said again, you will receive much money from me, believe me. Now, you can go Rama!”

Rakeyan thought, “You are lying Rama! You jealous to me because of a woman, Dyah Lembu Tal.”

“Master, here is your belonging and here is the robber” Rakeyan said.
Mahisa Cempaka was delightful to receive his belonging, the valuable things as jewelry and gold. “Thank you very much hi stranger. I forgot your name.’

“Call me Rakeyan.”

“Will you spend for a wile with us, for two or three days, will you?”

“Wow... I like it; therefore I can save my money.”

While Rama walked away, leave house of Mahisa. He look at window of a room; He saw a girl peeping behind curtin. “Oh Dyah, I knew you will never be my partner since you are a member of Royal Family, while I am just a soldier. I want to say good bye to you. I want to try to forget you by traveling for far away site.”
Dyah Lembu Tal has been watching the fighting from window of her room, until Rama has gone away. She wonder why Rama angry to a man of his companion to combat Kolo and his gang? It was strange.

“Perhaps Rama has fallen in love with me but he never reveal his emotion to me. That new comer make Rama become jealous. That is my opinion.” Dyah thought.





Chapter 3


Rakeyan Jaya Dharma become a guest of honor to Ministry Mahisa Cempaka and his family. He satisfied by then as if the road to go near his lover, Dyah has been openned by Goddess. However, he has to persuade Dyah and asking her father; That would be a long road to reach a happiness; Perhaps, It may couldn’t to be. He got a little bit worry.

Astonishing, Dyah Lembu Tal approached Rakeyan wants to say thank you.

“Rakeyan, I want to say thank you to you; just God will pay you back. If you didn’t rescue on me then I would had died in Kolo’s hand.”

“You should say thank you to Goddess, not me. I am just a wanderer who accidentaly saw you that has been detained by a mob of hoodlum. It was my duty to help every one.”

“God! Thank you to you that released me from jeopardy. However, you are really a fighter; I admired you; You are a brave fighter.” Dyah said with gleaming face.

“Are you well now? I think, you need get rest in your bed. I suppose that you are shocking and depressing now, because of bad experience.”

“Yes I am. However, I feel safe now since a hero was on my side; That you are.”

Rakeyan has pleasant feeling, “Seems to me she is begining to burn the flame of love; her word is a clue. But how to reveal my love.” He thought.

Mahisa Cempaka come with his wife from kitchen wants to say hello to his guest, “Hello young man, do you sleep well last night? I hope so; However, both of you have talked fluently as if you have known to each other, have you?”

“No father, we have just met at the tavern, in the critical of bad moment.” Dyah said.

“Please Dyah, you should try to forget that bad moment, other wise you will get sick.” Rakeyan sugested.

“Yes I will try; On the other hand we have divine wisdom by that bad experience, that I met you acidentaly, do you?”

“Yes I do; I am please to meet you then I pray, “God thank you for you have sent your beautiful creature straight at front of me.”

“Am I a beautiful woman?”

“Absolutely, yes you are.”
Mahisa wife whisper to her husband, “Look! Our daugther seems has fallen in love with this stranger. What do you think.? Do you agree?”

“Yes I agreed; However, we have to know who is he?”
Mahisa Cempaka asked, “Hi Rakeyan, we want to know where do you come from? Seems to me that you are a stranger, not citizen of Singosari.”

“I came from Kingdom of Sunda Galuh, in west of Java. I come to Singosari for fun. Persicely, I am a traveler. I am a Sunda man.”

“Welcome to our Country. Enjoy your holiday in Singosari.”

“Master, may I talk privately with your daughter? We have a mater that have to discuss.”

“Yes you may.”
Mahisa hold Dyah’s hand affectionately, guide her to another room.

“Well my hero, what problem that we have to discuss?” Dyah asked, after the couple seat on a sofa chair.

“Well.....tonight is a beautiful night; Even more a young pretty lady is on my side. Do you agree my dear Dyah?”

“Yes I do; Seems to me that you want to say........”

“I love you”

“That is why we have to move to another room, because of my parent over there, watching.”

“Yes you right; However, seems to me you will refuse my love, will you?”

“Yes, almost like that.”

“Why? What your reason is?”

“Did you think a man like you is so easy to say love? Then his partner will agree without knowing who are you exactly.”

“Yes I knew that I should mention to you concerning my identity.”

“That is what I want to know, who are you?”

“My name is Rakeyan Jaya Dharma; I am Prince of Galuh Kingdom. I came to Singosari
Kingdom just for traveling also want to know your famous King, King Ranggawuni.”

‘Wow....a Prince of a Kingdom....then I must tell my father that a Prince has come; Included King Ranggawuni himself have to know the news.”

“No, please don’t tell. I just come to you for traveling, no political purpose, so please don’t tell to everyone.”

“Even though you are not a Prince, I will love you Rakeyan; Just because of you are a fighter and my rescuer.”

“Let us celebrate our good day; The day that we have found lover for each other.”

“No, don’t so fast.....I still saying that I almost love you. You have to answer frankly my question; Do you have another lover beside me?”

Rakeyan keep silent for a moment; finally he answered, “Frankly yes I have; I must say everything that I save in my brain. I have engaged with a girl name Dewi Dara Buana; She is a member of Royal Family from Sunda Kingdom. Both of Kingdom, Sunda and Galuh Kingdom will be united; Therefore, Dewi and I have to marry off. Then I can use term for this marrying as political married.

However, I disagreed with their planned since I didn’t love her. Frankly I love you, just you that I love.”

“What was the reason? Why you didn’t love Dewi?” Dyah asked.

“The answer is simple, because of you are prettier than that Dewi. I have my liberty to choose my own wife.”

“What are the consequences of you by choose on me? “

“The two kingdoms will never unite; Also they have anger. However, you will be save in my arm. I am not sure that the unite Kingdom could make it be better.”

“OK, hopefully, everything would be running well even though you have betrayed your agreement with King of Sunda Kingdom. I love you Rakeyan.”
The couple hug and kiss to celebrate their happiness to be a couple lovers.

Rakeyan asked, “Shall we tell your parent about us now; I will ask your parent about you to be my wife.’

“Please don’t so fast; Be calm please, because of so many problem between us.”

“OK, I will follow you my sweet heart Dyah.”

Mahisa Cempaka and his wife have been waitting their daughter for a long time, “What their discussion is? Why so long?” Mahisa asked.
Finally the couple come.

Dyah approached her mother, hugged and whisper to ear, “Mom, he ask me to be his wife,....surprising! Do you agree to have a son inlaw likes him, Mom?”

“Then..how about you?’

Dyah didn’t answer; Her face become red, flushing. Finally she said, “Yes I want to”

“Your father must know your love affair now; Let us discuss this mater with him.”
Wife and husband talked in soft voice, while Rakeyan is watching them from distance. He knows what they are talking about; “Yes it is; They are talking about me” Rakeyan thought.

Her mother said to Dyah, ‘Your father agreed with you; However, he would rather you stay in this house than go traveling with him.”

“That is my problem and your problem too. What can I do Mom?” Dyah asked.

“Your father will discuss and make a deal with him concerning this problem.” Her mother said.

After a moment, Dyah approached her lover, “Now you can ask my father and mother about me.”

Rakeyan satisfy with gleaming face. Now he have to call Mahisa, ‘Father’, no more ‘Master’.

“Father, I have my purpose for asking you, that I want Dyah Lembu Tal to be my wife.”

“How fast your love has grown, amazing! So, my daughter;... is she agree with you?”

“Absolutely yes.”

“Then my wife and I agreed with your purposing. However, I have my purpose too; Will you stay in my house, until my grandson will delivery birth soon, will you?”

Rakeyan keep silent; He think and choose the right word to answer.

“Father, I have my duty as a leader of community in West of Java; It is a job for me that I have to establish.”

“What your job is?”

“I am Prince of Galuh Kingdom; My father has call on me; And I have to come home immediately; That must be an important mater concerning the Administration of

Kingdom. I would rather say agreed with your purposing than disagreed, but I can’t. I knew you feel disappointed by then.”

“ You are a Prince really.” Mahisa asked his wife to call on the entire members of the house to come, for greeting a Prince. Surprising, all of the servants, gardeners, chef and soldiers come to give their salute to Rakeyan.

“Now I want to ask my daughter, “Do you want to go along with your husband, Dyah?” Mahisa asked.

“Yes I want to; I must go to follow my husband where ever he goes, because I loved him. As I know, a wife must be obedient to her husband; That is a rule. The other reason, People of Galuh Kingdom need Rakeyan to lead their Country.”

“OK, I give up then I have to allow my beloved daughter to follow her husband.
Son, when you want to go for continuing your traveling?”

“Absolutely after the wedding party of our merrying will over. You will program the wedding party then we will follow you.” Rakeyan said.

News of Dyah merrying has come, spreading over the Country. Every citizen of Singosarian are happy; On the other hand, so many young men has broken hearted, included Rama . Even Rama so jealous that he create black gossip; Saying that Rakeyan is not a Prince and Mahisa was so stupid that he can trust a liar.

“Every body can say that one is a Prince, but who can believe it.” Rama said.
Every young man in Singosari City regreted the couple, because Dyah Lembu Tal is a beautiful woman; She looks like a beautiful flower in the garden yard that suddenly a man pick the flower up then brought to a far away site.

No wonder, because she is Great Grand Daughter of Ken Dedes; Ken Dedes was a pretty woman in her time. (Look the story of King Ken Arok)

Finally, the wedding party has celebrated; The two couple were happy. Many guests has come to Mahisa house, included King Ranggawuni himself with Royal Family.

Prime Ministry Mahisa Cempaka and Family give honor to the King and his family in the wedding Party.


To be continued

No comments: