Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Creator of Majapahit Kingdom, part 2

The creator of Majapahit Kingdom
Part 2
Retold by Satoto Kusasi

Chapter 1
Tuban Harbor was crowded since many visitor came to release the happy couple, Rakeyan and Dyah. Rakeyan and his family will leave Singosari, return to his home town at Galuh in West of Java. They will sail until reach Pasundan harbor that will take seven hour long time from Tuban.
The people want to see Dyah, the pretty woman before she depart.
“Hi Rakeyan! Speak! Speak! Speak!” The people shouted.
“OK, I will try; even though I am not an orator or politician but I will try to speak.
Thank you very much for my present in front of you. First of all, I want to say good bye to my beloved mother and father in law; hopefully we will come back, return home to Singosari in happiness. My heart will be left in Singosari between all of you because of your beautiful Country that I have ever seen. You have pretty and prosperous people, a Great King, powerful Army as well as fertelize soil. I just want to say it is a wonderful Country of yours.
My traveling has made me happy since I found a pretty girl that she wants to be my partner then we were sharing in an happy family. Thanks God that you sent your beautiful creature to me. And I didn’t forget to say thank you to all of you.
You will be welcome if you came to my Country, Galuh Kingdom. Even I hope the two people of both Kingdoms could share in business, military defence, agriculture and culture as well as many other things that could make benefit for both of communities.
At the end of my spoken, I want to send my Great Regard to King Ranggawuni.
Thank you and good bye to all of you.
The audiences applauded the couple.
A young man shouted, “Now Dyah, it is your turn to speak!”
“Dyah! Dyah! Dyah! Speak! Speak! Speak!” The others people shouted.
Dyah Lembu Tal erected from her chair, stood in front the audiences, “I can’t speak, I can’t sing a song, but I can read poetry. Do you like hearing my poetry?
“Yes I do.”
She prepare the poetry that she has written it in the night before. Then she read the poetry.
The sea wave is so nice that we can go sailing
Then we will go for traveling
So please pray for my returning.
Hi Singosarian, without you, I was nothing.

The sea gull screamed so loud that we annoying
Now I will leave you, shall I crying
I don’t have to, my sadness has been drawning
When I have found my loving

To day is so clear that people smiling
I am so happy that every body approving
Not because of I am leaving
But beneficial future seems promising

West is a promise for a wealthy leaving
Their King is so nice that he welcome us for coming
My partner saying that two peoples can get gathering
Establish partnership in business and marketing

I ask you, protect your King
Guard your Country as it your own belonging
Don’t ever have a mob of rebels plundering
Singosari is Glorious wondering.

Thank you very much.

The people applauded for a long time; even some of them are crying. The young men shouted, “Please don’t go! Please don’t go! We all need you!” They loved Dyah Lembu Tal; Not only because of she is a beautiful but also enjoyable woman for every one.

Finally, the ship is going to depart with wave of many hands in the harbor. She is a famous woman among Singosarian, even though she isn’t a politician who wants to be a Queen, but she looks like. No wonder because she is Great Grand Daughter of King Ken Arok and Ken Dedes; The fourth generation of Ken Arok’s ancestor.



Chapter 2


Singosari Kingdom was a prosperous Community in East of Java at the year twelfth Century. However, rebellion come and go frequently. King Ranggawuni concluded concerning that mater, because of struggling between the ancestor of Tunggul Ametung and Ken Arok. Each of them fought to each other to seize the authority as a King.

Ranggawuni is Grandson of Tunggul Ametung from father name King Anusapati.

The King wants to make peace with the group of Ken Arok ancestor. Therefore he elected Mahisa Cempaka, grandson of Ken Arok to be Prime Ministry.

The King also believed that many murders that had happened in Singosari Kingdom because of curse; Empu Gandring curse to Ken Arok, (Look the story of Ken Arok, granpa of many Kings in Java.)

Advicer, Arya Wiraraja asked to the King to throw away the keris of Empu Gandring. By then, the King fling away the bloody blade (=keris, Empu Gandring) into deep sea.
In fact that the thing has been used to kill many Kings among the ancestor of Ken Arok as well as Tunggul Ametung; How we couldn’t believe about curse of Empu Gandring?

Hopefully, no more King’s assassination in the future.

Tuban Harbor was a busy harbor at that time; so many ships come and go from other part of the World. The majority trader were Melayu people from Sumatra and Malaka, by then they always communicate in Melayu Language. The native people, Singosarian have to go along their partnership in business by using Melayu language.

So did Rakeyan who use Melayu Language instead of Sunda Language for communicate with Singosari Citizen. In fact Melayu language was accepted by Singosarian in every where; Not only in the Harbor but also in the market and in the Palace too.

While Native Language, Old Java Language being used by family of Java people.

Where is the site of Singosari City? Where is the Palace? Historian said that the location of that City might be at Malang City, now. However, the researcher have to work hard for proving it.

King Ranggawuni has a new Problem when he heard a man name Jayakatwang claim that he is the valid King to replace King Ranggawuni. Who is he? Jayakatwang said that he is son of King Kertajaya.

As we know that the last King of Kediri Kingdom was King Kertajaya, who had been killed by King Ken Arok. (See the story of Ken Arok)

Arya Wiraraja gave sugestion to marry off Jayakatwang’ son with King’s daughter from mistress. Then Son of Jayakatwang, named Jayamatkan married with Turuk Bali, daughter of King Ranggawuni. Hopefully, Jayakatwang will keep silent; No more political movement of him.

It worked, Jayakatwang has been keeping silent for a long time. But in his mind, Jayakatwang still has dream to be a King; He just waited an oppotunity.

King Ranggawuni has to conquer many other Kingdoms producer of spices. By then they are forced to sell spices straight directly to Tuban, not via the buyer or agency. Therefore, the King send Empu Nala as admiral of Navi to east to defeat Ternate Kingdom and Maluku Kingdom. Therefore, Tuban Harbor has become active in business and the King become rich.

After ruling his Kingdom for several years, King Ranggawuni passed away. His Son, named Kertanegara inaugurate as successor of King.

Singosarian agreed to have a new King, except Jayakatwang. He has anger against Kertanegara; Jayakatwang thought, “I should be a King not Kertanegara”.

Jayakatwang misunderstood by King’s action to marry off his son that he mean the successor of King would be him, but infact isn’t.

Jayakatwang proclaim himself as rebellion against Kingdom. He run and hide in deep forest in Southern area with many of his followers, ready for combating.

Meanwhile King Kertanegara has a low opinion of this enemy (Jayakatwang); He is busy to expand his Kingdom to Western, by send Admiral Mahisa Anabrang to Malaka and Admiral Adityawarman to Minangkabau.

In one occasion of Military meeting, advicer of Kingdom, Arya Wiraraja has sugested his new King. Arya Wiraraja said, “Do not send many soldiers to abroad. Central Kingdom should be protected by appropriate amount of soldiers otherwise it could be collapsed then could be defeated by enemies”.

Wiraraja’s suggest can be understood by members of meeting, but not by The King; Even The King became angry by then.

Finally, The King decided to send Arya Wiraraja as Regent at Sumenep in Madura Island. That is mean low grade duty for Arya Wiraraja. Absolutely, Arya Wiraraja got anger to the new King.



Chapter 3

Twenty years has passed then Dyah Lembu Tal has a young son, named Raden Wijaya. The young man is handsome and polite. He is Prince of Galuh Kingdom.

Meanwhile Mahisa Cempaka was no more Prime Ministry; He has retired. He stay at home relaxing. His house has many changing; No more bayan tree at front house; Therefore the house become clear and nice added a pretty garden with many flowers.

Mahisa Cempaka is giving food to chickens and some pigeons; Afterward he relaxed in a easy chair at garden yard.

Suddenly a woman and a young man as well as a man with military dress came, in a hurry. She is Dyah Lembu Tal, Raden Wijaya and Patih Danureja; They just came from Galuh in a hurry.

“Father! We came home.” She hugged her father, but crying.

Mahisa surprised to see his daughter, “Where is Rakeyan?” he asked.

“He passed away two weeks ago; I will tell you next. But I have my son as replacement of his father.
Son give your honor to your Grandpa; His name is Mahisa Cempaka!”

Raden Wijaya seat cross-legged position infront his Grandpa, unite his palm and said, “I am Raden Wijaya came to you for giving honor. My father, King Rakeyan Jaya Dharma also has sent his regard to you before he died. I am your Grandson.”

Mahisa Cempaka asthonished, “Wait a minute! Hi what had happened? Seems to me that a disaster had destroyed Galuh Kingdom; Please answer me!”

Patih Danureja also seat cross-legged in front Mahisa and said, “Yes you right Master. I have my duty to send The King’s family to Singosari secretly, because of war will be erupted between Sunda and Galuh Kingdom. I send King’s greeting to you, before he died.”

“Let us go inside. Your mother has been longing for you for a long time.” Mahisa said.

Dyah Lembu Tal and family but without husband as well as Patih are going into the house.
Dyah watch veranda, Dining room, Guest room, a cupboard, sofa and chair as well as the table; It is as same as before she departed, no changing. She cried when she look at her doll still at there, save in the cupboard. That a sofa chair where her husband has ever revealed his love to her; It is still at there.

An old woman come out from her room; She wheep her eyes and said, “Are you Dyah? My beloved daughter?”

“Mom!” She screamed, hugged and kissed her cheek. Afterward she cried loudly.
She continue her speak.
“Mom, he has gone, passed away!......” She can’t continue because of crying.

“OK relaxed, please drink a cool water. You can tell me later on.” The mother said.

Afterward, Mahisa approached Dyah, curiously,
“So will you tell me what had happened in your husband Country?” Mahisa asked.

Dyah wheeps her eyes and try to be calm, said, “The Sunda King has sent a chef secretly; The chef can be accepted without suspicion as a worker who work at our kitchen of The Palace. Two weeks ago the chef poison a plateful of food presented for me. I believed they want to kill me, not the King Rakeyan. But unfortunately Rakeyan has eaten the poison one and death.

The motive of this crime, because of Rakeyan has betrayed his agreement to Unite the two Kingdoms.
Galuh and Sunda Kingdom wants to unite by marrying off Rakeyan with a girl from Royal Family of Sunda Kingdom.
However, Rakeyan has chosen me as his wife not that girl. Seems to me that King of Sunda Kingdom got anger, therefore he sent that chef secretly to kill me.”

“People of Galuh ready for combating against Sunda; Therefore I have my duty to safe King’s family to Singosari. Now I have done my duty, then I asked permit for going home, as soon as possible. Our Countrry needs me to lead our Army in the next of war.” Patih Danureja said; Then he goes off.

Raden Wijaya approached his Grandma, kissed her hands, “Grandma, I am Raden Wijaya give regard.”

“Thank you my grandson, you are a handsome young man, looks like your father; I have my pride with you.” Said his Grandma.

Mahisa Cempaka said, “Even though you have your disaster, on the other hand you have come to your home town safely. God thank you so much that you sent your creature to her Pa and Ma. I am sorry for Rakeyan Jaya Dharma.”

The family is happy and sadness too.

Raden Wijaya confuse with his own fate; Therefore he asked to his mother, “Mom, shall we live in Singosari and will be Singosarian?”

“Son, you are Prince of Galuh Kingdom in Western; You aren’t a Singosarian.”

“Shall we go home now?”

“Not now because of war has erupted in our Country. If the war subside then we can go home. However, we never know when the war will be ended.”

“It make me confuse Mom; I would rather being Singosarian than being Galuh people. Let us forget that Kingdom Mom.”

“Why?”

“I don’t want to be a King of Galuh Kingdom, but I want to be a King of Singosari Kingdom.”

“C’mon son! Don’t be dreaming.” Mother said.

His Grandpa said, “I agreed with you my grandson. You are not only a Prince in Western but also Great Grandson of a King in Eastern; I mean you are fifth generation of Ken Arok ancestor. Ken Arok is the first King of Singosari Kingdom.”

“Really? Wow...it’s wonderful.”

“Yes really; You are a Noble man actualy. The King will pleasant to accept your coming to his Palace now, if you came to visit the King, believe me!”

“Are you kidding Grandpa? Did you ever known the King?”

“No, I am not kidding you. I have known the King even I am Prime Ministry of his father. I will bring you to the Palace to visit King Kertanegara, to prove that I am not kidding on you.”

“Really? Wow.... I like it. However, I have to learn Melayu Language and Old Java language. I need these language to communicate with the King.”

“You don’t have to, since you just keep silent and heard my conversation with the King....OK?”

“OK Grandpa! Shall we go now?”

“Not now, I will program, choose the right day to come.”



Chapter 4


The day for visiting has come finally; Raden Wijaya pleasant and keenly to come to beautiful Palace.

A man along with his grandson are going into Palace; They came in front the gate; A guard openned the gate and pleased them to come in. That is a clue that every body has known him as previous Prime Ministry.

The King come out and welcome them, “Hi Uncle, you can come to our Palace every time without procedure. Hi, a young man has come along with you, who is he?”

Raden Wijaya seat cross-legged in front the Throne and said, “I am Raden Wijaya, my mother is Dyah Lembu Tal and my father is King Rakeyan Jaya Dharma. I came to give honor to you, the Great King of Singosari Kingdom.”

“Wow ...Dyah Lembu Tal has a son, it’s wonderful. I have never known the news of her and suddenly her son seat infront of me; It make me surprise.
You have to know that I have come to your father and mother wedding day. Your mother is so lovely that every young man regreted whether she has gone with a stranger.”

“Thank you for your prising to my mother; She is in my Grandpa’s home now.”

“Hi, where is your father now?”

“He passed two weeks ago.”

“I am sorry about that.”

Meanwhile, a girl peeping behind curtin secretly. She is Gayatri, The fourth daughter of King Kertanegara. She curiously wants to know her father’s guest; Who the young man is.

The King talked with Mahisa Cempaka seriuosly, concerning threatened of Jayakatwang rebellion. The King also asked advice and solution about that. Seems he regret his rejection upon Arya Wiraraja, that has made him without advicer.

Raden Wijaya listen carefuly their discussion, even though he has never known Jayakatwang is. However, Raden Wijaya eagerly wants to know political situation in this Country.

After they talked took one hour of long time, Mahisa ask permit for going home.
When they are going home toward the gate of Palace, a guard stopped them, “Master, I want your grandson to stay for a while, there is something have to discuss with him.”

“Who? Me?” Raden Wijaya asked.

“Yes you are; Some one wants to meet you, waiting you in front Kaputren building”

Raden Wijaya surprise and frighten, “Did I do wrong in this Palace?” He thought.
He look at his grandpa as if asking him to allow. Mahisa nodded, that’s mean he agreed; Then he wave his hand to his grandson and go away.

Raden Wijaya step his walking unsteady because of frightened, “The man who wants to meet me, must be an officer.” He thought.

Finally he reach Kaputren building; There is a woman at there.

Raden asked an officer, “A guard at the gate asked me to meet someone else at this area, who is he?”

The officer pointed to that woman.

“A woman?”

“Yes she is”

Now Raden Wijaya relief, “Just a woman, not an officer; Even I like the meeting.” He thought.

“Good evening lady, Did you wait some one else?” Raden asked.

“Yes certainly! That you are.”

“Me? Wow .....I like to meet you; Thank you.”

“Who are you any way?”

“I am Raden Wijaya, the grandson of Mahisa Cempaka.”

“I am Gayatri, the fourth daughter of King Kertanegara. Please being relax since I just want to meet you; Come on in!” Gayatri asked Raden to come into Kaputren.

“Gayatri, did you think that I am an appropriate man for talking with you?”

“Certainly yes. Why? Am I wrong by talking with you?”

“I don’t think so; Thank you.”

“I knew, because of you think that we have differend class of society. I am a daughter of a King, while you are not, right?
Listen to me, a King without people is nothing. You are part of people; Therefore I have my conclusion that King Kertanegara without you, is nothing.”

“Wow....Wonderful word of you, surprising! Now we can talk fluently, I like you.”

“So...you like me; Even I want you more than that.”

“What you mean?”

“I want you to be my partner.’

Now Raden Wijaya keep silent, no more talking for a while, “Am I a suitable man to be your partner?” Finally, Raden asked.

“Absolutely yes.! Even though you are a stranger in Singosari Kingdom, but I have known who you are actually.”

“Will you mention to me, who am I?”

“You are a Sunda man, you aren’t Singosarian; Even you are a Prince of Galuh Kingdom, right?”

“How did you know?”

“My father told me before we met.
The most important thing is, you are Great Grand Son of King Ken Arok.”

‘Why did you say it is an important thing?”

“Because of you are ancestor of that King; My grandpa suggest on us to make good relation with ancestor of King Ken Arok.
You must know that our Country had been suffering rebellion frequently for a long time; That because members from both ancestor, Ken Arok and Tunggul Ametung, always have hostility; Each of them wants to be a King.”

“Thank you so much.”

“What you mean with your word, thank you?” I haven’t finish yet.
You are a handsome young man, so I fall in love with you; Not because of you the ancestor of King Ken Arok, but really a true love.”

The two couple creature of God hugged and kissed to reveal their love.

A man came into the room; He cough to make clue that he has come into.

“Hi you again! You always annoy us; I hate you! “ Gayatri said to the man.

To be continued.

No comments: