Sunday, July 27, 2008

Between Love and Hate (Part 8)

Reconciliation Conference

Retold by Satoto Kusasi



Chapter 1

Was Princess happy? Yes, she was happy since she had defeated Wulansari Kingdom by the power of love.

What was the reaction of Prince Sora Mahisa when Princess asked him, “Hi you, King of Wulansari, and do you want to protest our announcement? Do you want to continue the war?” Seems Prince did not like the way she asked, not politely. However, the power of love has done its role to make Prince agreed with his lover for everything she asked. If Prince wants to be the winner of war then he could defeat Medang soldiers easily, since their amount was just two hundred.
However, he cannot since Prince loved Princess very much.

Princess did not want to join with her soldiers but Wulansari soldiers, “I still have to hang my fate on the rope of love other wise they, all the people of Wulansari would be angry, included my lover.”

Now, both lovers discussed the politic situation. “The problem of our Countries was still threatening. The problem was hostility between two communities; they did not want to live side by side in peace condition. We could understand how Medang people angry to Wulansari people.” Princess said.

“Please do not blame me or my father; I have a thousand words of sorry that I had said to you. Do you have suggestion darling?”

“Goddess could make cool down bad situation. Let us pray together in the Temple of Hindu. I believed the disaster of us was punishment of God; therefore, we should ask apology to God. We have to promise to God not make sin again and pay homage every day.”

“That was a good idea of you. I would ask the Government Secretary to arrange that event between Medang Kingdom and Wulansari Kingdom. Just God could make cool our political situation.”

“And do not forget that we have to pay war compensation because we lost at war.”

Princess has double faces; sometimes she talk as Medang leader and sometimes she talk as Wulansari leader.

Princess could give suggestion concerning politic to Prince Sora Mahisa even though she was not Consort of King yet.
Perhaps Prince Sora Mahisa trusted her beside loved her.

“According our secret agent, now Akuwu Wengker want to call the entire soldiers and people for discussing fate of their Kingdom; topic of discussion would be who King or Queen in Medang Kingdom was. They also would discuss another topic, Queen Sekarpandanwangi not eligible as a Queen.
I want to go to their meeting, even though they did not invite me.”

“Why they did not invite you darling?”

“Perhaps they want to discuss the second topic; that topic wants to discuss about me, Queen Sekarpandanwangi not eligible as a Queen. They have bad impression about me as if I had left them and just ambitious want to be Consort of King of Wulansari Kingdom.”

“Yes you will be Consort of King because we want to marry soon. Then who will be Queen in Medang Kingdom? I think them relevant for discussing the second topic.”

“Darling, I am Queen in Medang Kingdom and also Consort of King in Wulansari Kingdom. I want to merge both Countries in one authority.
I hope both communities could live side by side in peace condition, no hostility. They would be happy and prosperous.
What do you think?”

“I agreed with you; even that was my father’s desire; but he had forced his idea by violation, launching war.
I allowed you to go to their meeting in disguise as common people.”

Akuwu Wengker made an open meeting for people of Medang that did not go to Bali as refugees. They were gathering at a grass field in open air.

“Hi people of Medang, thank you for coming. I had invited you to hear what were you wanted to say concerning fate of our Kingdom. We have many problems that had faced us after war. Those problems were who could be a King or Queen.
We have no agreement concerning Princess as a Queen; even though it was a decision of King Ribut Sakti but she wants to be Consort of King Wulansari.
And the last problem what our war compensation was.”

Jaran Edan stood up and said, “Master, I want you to be a King, because you are more eligible as a King compare than that Princess.”

“YES, YOU RIGHT JARAN EDAN” People shouted loudly.

“Thank you Jaran and thank you to all of you that you praised me. However, I needed another two candidates beside me as democratic pre-requirement.”

“VIVA AKUWU, VIVA AKUWU.”

“Now I want you to prepare our delegation to face their delegation to discuss war compensation. You Jaran, Patih Kebo Ireng, Kebo Langi and others friend, I asked you as our delegation in reconciliation conference.

Remember that we were the winner in this war as Princess said; therefore, we right to lead the conference and decide what we want to.”

Suddenly, an ugly woman climbed stage, whispered to Akuwu seems she asked something to Akuwu and Akuwu nodded.
Surprised, she spoke, “Ladies and Gentlemen, I am your Queen.
I am sorry had wearied common dress and un-order hair because I am in disguise for coming this meeting. May I come to your meeting?”

“Yes you may, Princess.” Akuwu said.

“I do not want to speak as politician but I want to read poetry.”

She read her poetry,

Disaster hit our Country
A cruel war crushed our Nation
Many victims had fallen
Included was our King
No value for a life

Goddess has scenario
We are the actor in the World
We had played as an artist
However, we also played as sufferer
It was pity, sadness and pain

Thank you God
War had ended.
Their greedy King was death
A woman soldier had killed him
He the greedy King was troublemaker

Now my leg parted
One had stepped at Wulansari
The other had stepped at Medang
Could I be able to unite my people?
Could I merge them with their ex-enemy?

It was our problem
I have mentioned it to you
Will you follow me?
Toward prosperous and glorious Kingdom
Common, live in peace condition with your ex-enemy.

Princess turned down from stage and disappeared; she knew that her people were disappointed since she wants to married with enemy’s leader. Therefore, she would be better gone, avoid meeting them.

However, some people still loved their Queen, “Hi, where was our Queen? We want to hear her speak. Common let us find her.”

Some body had caught their Queen and brought her to stage, faced to Akuwu Wengker.

“Princess, would you speak to our people since you are real leader of ours. Even more, you were hero of our Country. We do appreciate to you, so do not go now.” Akuwu Wengker said.

“SPEAK, SPEAK, SPEAK NOW!!” People shouted to Princess.

“Thank you very much Akuwu; however, did you regard me as your hero, Akuwu?”

“Of course yes my Princess since you had killed King Girindrawardana, alone; and you had stopped the cruel war, alone. We had not helped you but just accompany you.
We admired you, how brave you are.”

“Thank you Akuwu, but I am not alone. I had accompanied by my lover, Prince Sora Mahisa. Without him, I am just a weak woman.

Our planning did not match the reality, so I want to say sorry to all of you. I should kill my lover, Prince Sora Mahisa as our planning. In contrary I must hang on the rope of love; I meant I must love Sora Mahisa other wise King Girindrawardana could kill me.
With love of Sora Mahisa and I, we could make power of unity to tumble down until death the greedy King; that was King Girindrawradana.

So, I want to ask you Akuwu, am I wrong to love my lover, Prince Sora Mahisa.?”

“No, you were right; that was war strategy to win. In fact we win and we were happy found you happy too.”

“Hi people of Medang Kingdom. Frankly, I had mentioned my effort to you to win this war and I am not shame to describe the other side of our winner that I loved our enemy leader, Prince Sora Mahisa. That love affair was very important to me and even for our Kingdom, for winning the war.

However, I knew you hurt; how cruel he had done to us; even I had dried my tears to think their bad action to us. You must know that people of Wulansari as well as their soldiers did not mean like that but their King. We should blame their King, who had ordered the cruel war; who had ordered to his son the assassination of King Ribut Sakti
Unfortunately, the people of theirs could not be able to say no.

It was our Kingdom’s fate but you could ask our losing belonging to our enemy as compensation of war in conference of reconciliation that we want to do.

I hope from deep of my heart that you could live side by side with our ex-enemy in peace condition. Moreover, I want to merge our Country with their Country.
Please, do not think the pass but the future. Please feel good do not feel sad; through away feeling of hostility, grudge, revenge and anger; that just will use up our energy.”

Suddenly, Jaran Edan stood up, said, “You’re Majesty, thank you for your brave attacking straight to the heart of Kingdom enemy. I am proud to have you as our Queen and all Medang people have the same opinion as my mind.
Therefore, I want you to be a Queen of ours; please do not be leader of Wulansari.
I am proud with my Country, my King, my Queen and my people, so please do not merge our Country with theirs.”

“YES YOU RIGHT JARAN.” The audiences shouted together.

“Thank you Jaran; you have your right to reveal your opine concerning fate of our Country. I hope it was just your proud feeling to our Kingdom but not grudge feeling to our ex-enemy since I knew you had buried that feeling in deep ground. Did you?”

“Yes I did you’re Majesty.”

“Thank you for you. Nevertheless, I cannot say agree or disagree to you concerning you asked. Please say it in the forum of reconciliation to your friends and to your new friends, the Wulansari people. I hope from deep of my heart that every body would say agree with my plan.

Further more, I want to elect Akuwu Wengker as leader of Medang Kingdom as Akuwu; he would be my subordinate to make people of Medang became prosperous and happy.

We would renovate our Palace at Medang City and at Jati Wengker City. In addition, we would build houses at both Cities.

I along with Prince Sora Mahisa as well as all people of Wulansari had promised to you to do that big job, to reveal their sorry and regretted feeling to you.

At the end of my spoken, I want to pray for our saving,

Goddess, please do not give another disaster
This war was enough as your punishment.
We never need troublemaker King in future.
We have agreement to greet to each other,
Even though he or she was our leader,
He or she has to consider every person opine
Do not send the greedy leader to us,
Who could force his idea to other people?

Goddess, we knew that you have your anger to us.
Because of we never pay homage to you,
As if, we are more important than that of you.
We are wrong actually, we just a weakness creature
Moreover, you have your top authority surpass of us.
So please forgive us.

Queen of Medang Kingdom had finished her spoken; when she was turning down from stage, Akuwu Wengker stopped her, “You’re Majesty, please wait a moment. We want to ask something that we confused, may we?”

“Yes you may.”

“Shall you stay at Medang City after the Palace would have renovated?”

“No, because of I would be Consort of King of Wulansari Kingdom, but you.
You would have stayed at the Palace of Medang.”

“The second question; are we slaves of Wulansari?”

“Of course not; remember that you are the winner in this war, nevertheless, we never regard Wulansari people as slaves too.”

“Now I want to reveal my willing. You’re Majesty, I want to be refugees and I want to be among my people at Bali Island.”

Queen’s face became pale hearing her stepbrother, as if she heard Thunder.
She asked, “What was your reason?”

“Just want to be among my people.”

Not just Queen but also all people at there were astonishing to hear Akuwu.

“It was not reason Akuwu. I supposed you have more principal reason to reject your function as Akuwu at Medang.”

“How I could be among people of Wulansari at Medang City since more than half our people had gone to Bali Island. If you visited the City of Medang then you would find any body lived at there; the City would have occupied by Wulansari people.
Frankly, I cannot be among Wulansari people, even though I had buried grudge feeling in deep ground.”

The audiences whispered and talked to each other; some of them want to follow their leader.

Princess ended her spoken, “I have to do appreciate to every person. Therefore, I just want to say good-bye to you Akuwu. But please think twice.”

Chapter 2

The Hindu Temple was crowded since that day Prince Sora Mahisa as well as his Ministry, Princess Putri Sekarpandanwangi, Akuwu Wengker, Patih Kebo Ireng, Jaran Edan, Ki Manjangan and many others Ministry attended the praying events together.

The people of two communities also had come; seem they could be together, no hostility and grudge. Both communities just prayed; they were seriously praying.
However, they did not talk to each other and did not show friendly attitude.

Priests were busy to prepare the ceremonial; burning incense, many flowers, bell and many things. Then they prayed and sang.

Prince Sora Mahisa prayed first, “Goddess, I knew that you got your anger to us. I knew you would give punishment and I knew we were appropriate for receiving the punishment. However, we were consciousness now that we had done bad mistake; please forgive us.

My brothers from Medang, I knew that you angry to us, especially to me. I knew that just say sorry was not enough. We would meet you in reconciliation conference to discuss war compensation and everything about war.

Goddess, would you make my brothers from Medang become brothers and friends as usual. We knew that useless war had made them angry; we knew that was our fault.
To day was our opportunity to make reconciliation with them; so please give your blessing to both of us. In the next times of ours could become good living; and both of community could be together; side by side without hostility or grudge.”

The two communities, Medang and Wulansari applauded together and even some of them whispered and talked to each other.

Priest pleased Akuwu to pray. Akuwu Wengker prayed, “Goddess, we are Medang people that had suffered because of war; we supposed that was punishment to us from you; so please forgive us. Goddess, please do not give another disaster to us in future.

Goddess, please give us your blessing, make our soul strength to forget our trouble and our sadness.

Goddess, people of Medang had gone to Bali Island as refugees; I want to say thank you to you since I knew that site was your home. I asked your permit to live at Bali Island too since I have to stay between my people. I asked you to protect my people that I had left at Medang.”

Medang people were seriously hearing their leader. They realized that Akuwu want to move to Bali.

Finally, Princess Putri Sekarpandanwangi prayed, “Goddess, please make us happiness, glorious and prosperous, especially for Medang people and Wulansari people. You bestowed our people after they had disaster; that was what I believed on you.

To day, the two communities had come together in this place, asking you peace condition. Therefore, I want to ask your blessing to make peace condition between Medang and Wulansari; we hope no more hostility between of them. They could live side by side in happiness and even they could live in one Kingdom.”

Wulansari people applauded and satisfied hearing their Consort of King. However, Medang people was cool attitude, seem they were not as happy as their ex-opponent was.

Not so long the two communities want to make peace as seen they had shake hands to each other. Princess was happy to see them.

“Thank you to you all those want to make peace. I knew that merging two Countries was not simple matter; I asked you to discuss this matter in the conference of reconciliation at next time.
Goddess, I asked you to merge the two Countries in one Kingdom.”

Now the audiences kept silent, no comment and no opine from them.



Chapter 3

The conference of reconciliation had come. Akuwu had suggestion not to discuss the winner of war or the reason of attacking, but the compensation of war. His members of meeting agreed with him.
Akuwu worried war could erupt again if they had discussed it.
However, he asked his members not to agree with idea of merging of the two Countries.

Princess did not come to the conference, but her lover.

Prince Sora Mahisa opened the conference and spoke for inviting the refugees come back again since war had ended.
At that meeting, Prince agreed to pay the war compensation on behalf of his Government.

When Prince asked to merge Medang with Wulansari, the Medang delegation did not agreed with him. Afterward, they agreed to float that matter.

Akuwu asked the Wulansari delegation not to cheat the people of Medang. Akuwu would come one time in a year to inspect his people at Medang City and Jati Wengker


Closing

The discord day between sister and brother had come. Every body had been waiting since early morning at Balairung Hall to see that event. Akuwu Wengker accompanied with Jaran Edan and his soldiers would go to Bali as refugees.

However, Akuwu commanded Patih Kebo Ireng as well as Ki Manjangan not to go but left behind. Patih Kebo Ireng would assign as Ministry at Medang City and Ki Manjangan assign as Akuwu at Jati Wengker.

“Akuwu my stepbrother, I missed you. In the critical moment like this, you had left me. You should help your sister. People need you as a leader and even people of Wulansari.
Therefore, we had been waiting you forever, hoping you would come home.”

“I assigned Patih Kebo Ireng and Ki Manjangan and I would come home one time in a year. Therefore, we never part my dear Princess. Believe me that I always loved you.”

Both hugged and cried.

“I would be longing for you wherever I had faced trouble in our Country; you should protect your sister beside my lover. So please, do not go!”

Akuwu Wengker kept silent just tears dropped from his eyes. He thought, “I should not go. If I had gone then no body would have protected her. However, she could help herself even she could be able to kill the highest-ranking authority of Wulansari Kingdom; that was King Girindrawardana.”

Afterward, Akuwu said, “Princess, you must think about fate of our people that had gone to Bali; they were our people, our responsibility was to care and protect them. How you could ignore them as if they were not our people?

You are strong enough to face every problem; it had proved by killing the greedy King. Every people of Medang admired you. You were appropriate be a leader as Consort of King and Queen of Medang Kingdom.

I want you to protect our people that I had left here.”

“Now I could understand you. Happy traveling brother, see you in next year. You have your promise to come again.”

(The end)

No comments: